Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Cheetah Rock

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wigwam, 4 Sep 2012.

Tags:
  1. Wigwam

Wigwam Member

Visited Whipsnade on Saturday, & was lucky enough to see Dubai & her cubs in the main enclosure at Cheetah Rock. Their was a lone Cheetah in the next enclosure who I assume was Alzafah(?). Does anyone know if Maktoum (who my wife adopts) is still around? As from markings, the tail, & shape of face - the sole Cheetah wasn't Maktoum.
    Cheers

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I believe ZSL Whipsnade's Cheetahs when they arrived were three pairs of siblings. A female (Kinky-Tail) was swapped with Chester for one of their four males they had. I would assume Al Safa (sp?) is the father of the newer cubs as he was with the older ones.

Have they got any success yet with Jasmine or Arabia yet?

Last edited: 4 Sep 2012
  3. Wigwam

Wigwam Member

Thanks. I thought Maktoum was a 'gift' from an Arab, who had him as a pet... Till he obviously go too big. Is he still at Whipsnade?

4. catinthehat

catinthehat Well-Known Member

Went to a cheetah talk last week when I took my friends kids up and Whipsnade have a massive 16 cheetahs! Dubai and the 7 cubs, 3 male cubs from the last litter, and then 5 other adults, Females Arabia and Jasmine and 3 males Shiraz, Maktoum and Al safa. Shiraz was dad to the cubs last time, so I am assuming he is this time, although I didn't ask. The lone cheetah that was in the bottom paddock when we went was Jasmine, appparently they won't put a male in a paddock next to the females as it upsets them and makes them difficult to breed.

5. Wigwam

Wigwam Member

Thanks for the info - very useful & helpful. The wife is very pleased that Maktoum is still around... Just a bit disappointed she didn't get to see her 'adopted son' this time.

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Yes, I watched it on Youtube when they got their first cubs. Females are solitary hence the reason their only mixed when she's in season. I think ZSL may keep at least one cub to try breeding. Didn't they bred 3.2 and send away three?

7. catinthehat

catinthehat Well-Known Member

They said at the talk that they bred 3 boys and 2 girls, and that the 2 girls went to France for breeding. That would make sense as when I visited in May, there were three adults together in the top paddock, which I assumed were the three male cubs from two years ago, since the females are solitary.

8. Jordan-Jaguar97

I would presume they would move the female cubs on. The three male cubs will probably stay together as they form 'coalitions' meaning they will be an all male group similar to Chester's three males until mixed with a female.