Join our zoo community

Chengdu Zanhuayuan Zoo Chengdu Zanhuayuan Zoo

Discussion in 'China' started by FunkyGibbon, 12 Sep 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I have uploaded a new series of photos from this remarkable (and not in a good way) zoo. Rather than focus on the incredible collection I have tried to show not just the exhibits but also the general ambiance of the place. Clearly the photos are not pretty, and most of the enclosures deserve to be condemned on various grounds. As you judge, I would just gently suggest you consider the context.

Chengdu Zanhuayuan Zoo - ZooChat

More news from this place would be welcome, these photos are already a year old and it was reported somewhere that the linsang has since died.

2. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sure the information below is already known to some zoochatters but I'll post it here in case anyone else is interested in this place.

The Zanhuayuan Zoo is mostly funded by the owner himself though it is open to visitors and charges an admission fee. The owner clearly likes animal but has no idea of either modern wildlife conservation or animal husbandry. According to the owner, most of the rarities here are "rescued" animals, though by rescuing he means directly purchasing them from bushmeat markets. It could be easily argued that no matter how well-intended, these purchasing are essentially part of the wildlife trade, though many of these animals would surely have ended up in the kitchen table had not been brought here, and there is no guarantee that those confiscated by legal enforcement would get much better treatment.

The menagerie is a controversial place among Chinese zoo enthusiasts. Despite having a government-issued license to function as a legal rescue center, there have been multiple attempts by activists and NGOs to shut this place down. It is heard that the current site would soon be closed, while the owner gets to keep the animals he traded from other zoos, all "rescued" animals would go to Chengdu Zoo. The menagerie itself will be relocated to Shifang, a county 40 miles north to the city.

baboon and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Species list available?

4. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to photos posted on Weibo, the new site has already opened. It seems most of its rarities moved to the new site.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.