Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester 23rd June 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 24 Jun 2010.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chester zoo visit 23rd June 2010

Not a lot to report really.

Repairs are being carried out to the canal by the boat kiosk.

The old aviary opposite which currently houses the red-billed magpies has had the glass window replaced by mesh.

Boards explaining the zoo's work in Nigeria are outside the chimp house.

2 Himalayan monal chicks were visible in the Arara aviary.

Didn't see the duiker, nor the anteater.

The black-tailed marmosets were very active, but there was no sign of the pygmy marmosets.

Saw two porcupines in the new exhibit, well their rear ends anyway.

The male white-collared yuhina is now living in the Asian aviary, the tragopan has a label now but I didn't see him.

Only a few birds visible in Tsavo aviary, hamerkop, village weaver, hornbill, Hottentot teal, white-faced whistling duck, superb starling and roller. A small group of girls aged around 12 were interested in the hamerkops. It's a peacock said one, no it's a penguin said another. They are obviously not bird people.

I didn't visit the Joseph Banks room so can't comment on the new vet exhibit.

All the new reptile enclosures in Islands in Danger had the gates open, effectively making one large enclosure.

The botanical section are building something in the tropical realm, my first thought was it wouls be a vivarium, but I was wrong.

2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

The Vet Exhibit in Joseph Banks is a must see, its really really interesting!

When I visited we also saw that all three Iguanna exhbits were open, we asked about this and we were told that the Iguanas are usually allowed to roam free between the exhibits and all sleep in different areas than they are usually seen during the day.

And I think it will just be another bench in the Tropical Realm, but I would like another bench... See the birds!

And my last point, will this be the new Chester Visits thread? The other ones getting abit full!

3. bongorob

Posters can add to this, or start their own thread. It's a personal choice. Sim does prefer a lot of small threads rather than just a few large ones.

4. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Not another bench, and as Rob mentioned not a vivarium either. Nobody will ever guess. ;)

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Updates from 24.6.10

Rhino

Babuu the Indian Rhino is still alone although his new mate, Tanaya should arrive from America before the end of 2010.

The Black Rhino's have a new shelter at the end of the Paddock nearest to the Porcupine's new home.

Sammy had access to the female in the next pen in the Tsavo house. I think it was Kitani but Asani was nowhere to be seen. :confused:

Sammy now has his own name plaque.

No sign of the duiker despite having a look several times during the day. :(
    Both Okapi out though and Dicky showing lots of interest in Stuma despite being apart from her

The elephant paddock look's almost complete. Today the pool had been drained and was being cleaned. The bush's around the perimiter were also being trimmed back.

Sithami looked very uncomftable and I don't think it will be long before the thud of baby elephant feet is heard once again at Chester!

Ask any questions :)

6. bongorob

Sammy is with Kitani, the 2008 youngsters are together I think.

7. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ohhh, sounds interesting ;p. I suppose you can't give a clue?
    When should we know what it will be?

8. bongorob

Nothing to do with animals, it will be finished after the bird breeding season is over.

9. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Will we enjoy it? Anyway, I suppose we shall know in a few months :).

10. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

I noticed a few weeks back that the gates in the Iguana exhibits had been opened. I had (wrongly) made the assumption that 2 species had been removed from the exhibit, interesting to see that all 3 are being mixed though.
    Im interested in knowing what's happening in the Realm aswell. I think someone posted a picture of the developments in the gallery the other day.

11. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Photographs of some of the youngsters to support Rob's post. We're still on a mission to see the duiker.

[​IMG]
    Visayan warty pig piglets.

[​IMG]
    Sitatunga.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2010
  12. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a situtunga. Did you get a picture of the bush dog puppies?

13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Uh, you mean a sitatunga (Tragelaphus spekii), in which case on second thoughts you could well be right... in fact on checking the GPS you're absolutely right. I was thrown off by the rounded ears. Apologies.

I didn't make it over to the bush dogs but will drop by in the next day or two.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't get a picture but the mother was carrying the pups to a new den first thing yesterday morning.

15. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

The wife and I were also there on the 23rd and 24th. Saw the Bush Dogs pup's, couldn't get a clear photo due to the light through the trees.

The Okapi seemed very interested in one another. Nice to see the female has finally decided to like one of the males.

The new elephant paddock looks superb, a much needed improvement for them. Sadly missed them being in it by a few days. Should have stuck to our normal week of going to Chester.

The baby Meerkats are adorable. The Asian Short Clawed Otters were getting very intimate as well.

After 4 years of visiting the zoo we finally saw the Ring Tailed Lemurs on the island.

Looking forward to next year, 2 young elephants causing mayhem in the pool.