Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester News Threads Announcement and Guidance

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 7 Jan 2018.

1. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't understand the want to splinter off conversations. Personally I like a rambly thread with a variety of topics and good conversation - it is a chat forum after all - but maybe that's just me and it is not a big issue.

Here is a thought though - if the goal is to create at least one thread that is easily searched and an accessible resource specifically for news, why not have a thread for this maintained by specific individuals (mods or member volunteers)?

I don't even know if it is possible to set up posting permissions in this way - but a (pinned?) Chester News post maintained ONLY by a couple of people who monitor the zoos own PR, lift notable reports out of the member discussion thread, link to the inevitable 'offshoot' conversations etc would be a much less onerous / more satisfying task than mods perpetually moving member posts around. All posts in the News thread could end with a "Discuss this here" link to the discussion thread to direct people to the right spot.

The reports & discussion thread could then be a bit more informal without members having to worry about where they are supposed to be posting.

Brum and TNT like this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I don't really want to debate this point because we both agree that the system hasn't worked, but since we're here:
    That specific example was immediately raised and dealt with in this thread; it is a bit of an intuitive loophole in the current system but if people wanted it the information was right here to be read. Again, I think it is optimistic to think that they would, and I'm not criticising people at all for not doing so. The hope was rather that over a few months people would learn through example when posts got moved with notifications explaining why. The vast majority of cases of stuff being in the wrong thread were more 'blatant'; and indicated more that people were oblivious to a system rather confused by it.

The guidelines were introduced two years ago, so we can see that although they coincide with a drop from 2,710 to 1,980, they don't explain at all the drop from 1,980 to (predicted) 995. If you look at some of the charts in Sim's excellent Stats thread you can see that relatively significant changes to overall post counts have happened on ZooChat in the past three years, making it very hard to isolate what has happened in the Chester threads.

Brum likes this.