Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2015 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 12 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The thing that an Able Seaman says when he has been given an order by his Captain ;)
    As bongorob indicated above.

Alan

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Oops sorry getting old and mind doesn't work like it used 2

3. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're not alone! I can't for the life of me place the capuchins! Where is their (current) enclosure?

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Within the Tropical House, with an outside enclosure opposite the Hyacinth Macaws and just down from the Sand Lizards.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Previously the outdoor enclosure for pygmy hippopotamus, bantam fowl and Aldabra giant tortoise. (But not all at the same time).

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even I knew that, and I haven't been to Chester for about five years now!:D

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't understand what you mean, the Sulawesi's are nothing like the Lion-tailed macaques in colour? The capuchins are more similar.

Edit! Well now I've looked it up I see they are black but the mane is so heavy I've never thought of them as black!!!

8. Pertinax

The All Blacks...

Of all the Macaque species, very few are predominately black- these two are the most commonly seen. I think Chester have/had black Spider monkeys in that house too, another black species- only the Mandrills providing variety.

9. gentle lemur

All the macaque species from Sulawesi are predominantly black. I would love to see a nice group of booted, moor, Heck's or Tonkean macaques at Chester or any other good British zoo (if only Howletts could get a few more Heck's). Mind you there are lots of brown macaque species I'd be pleased to see too.

Alan

10. Pertinax

Not meaning to split hairs here but Moors are more dark brown, and Tonkean have a lot of grey markings too. Hecks is black though.

I think in a House with only 4 main exhibits as at Chester, its important to have a variety of dissimilar Monkeys on show- I would like to see Red capped Managabey or a colourful Guenon species to compliment the existing Mandrills, Lion Tails and Spiders(?). If they had more enclosures then yes, by all means add rare'duplicate' species.

11. gentle lemur

Don't forget that Chester also have the capuchins, red titis, black and gold howlers and white-faced sakis, as well as their marmosets and tamarins. The majority of their monkey species are not in the Monkey House :)

Alan

12. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

one of chesters endearing little quirks that - I like the fact that it's not all obviously presecriptive and species might pop up and surprise you in the strangest of places :)
    Joking aside I think in the past the lack of "spare" enclosures to shuffle species around into has resulted in some odd locations for animals.
    This should be mitigated once all of the species going into Islands have moved and some of the empty enclosures can be used as a buffer maybe?

13. Pertinax

That is true, but the largest species are. However, if Capuchins replace the Sulawesi Macaques in there, the colour scheme (and species-type) will be become more varied...

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Back to news

Chester has Baer's Pochard ducklings in the duckery.

15. adrian1963

Visited yesterday with a few friends from the disabled club and must admit I never thought I would be saying this but the place was very, very quiet wish in a funny way was good news as we could go round and see most exhibits with no problems.

Didn't visit Islands as we only had 3 hours for our visit but must admit I really enjoyed the day, there was only one draw back was as someone else as said before on the Islands thread I think it was.

The lack of species actually out in their exhibits was very disappointing the main large animals Giraffe, Lions, Tigers, Jaguars, Cheaters, Spotted deer, Rhinoceros, Brow Antler Deer, Roam antelope, Zebra, Sitatunga (I think I've spelt it right I hope) & a couple more were the only outside attractions, some animals could be seen in their indoor area's and most of the bird species were around.

It was a lot easier to say the species that were on show and not the ones who weren't.
    I was wondering as to why their were so many species as a no show and do understand that animals can't be forced to appear as and when you want.

A quick question what is the Single Onger round by the duckling enclosure there for

16. prawnie1975

prawnie1975 Well-Known Member

i suppose it depends on what time you went for it to be quiet ... Most visitors i would say at the moment race around to the Islands first so that could be why the zoo was quiet itself ... i was also there yesterday in the morning and it was busy by the time we got to go on the islands

regarding seeing the animals you just have to be lucky to see them while they are out as you can't make them look pretty for you

I also noticed the Lone Onager ... i did wonder if that was the male one since there is 3 baby ones in their normal paddock

17. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is indeed the male.

18. prawnie1975

prawnie1975 Well-Known Member

Thank you i thought it was

19. adrian1963

I did explain I understood that animals can't be made to appear when you want and this did not stop my enjoyment of the day as I love Bird species more than most other species.

I arrived around 12.30 with only one till working and hardly any cars on the car park as we parked right in front of the entrance for the first time in years.

Thanks for the info on the Onger did wonder though.

Will hopefully try and return before to long so as to go round Islands or may leave it till next year just waiting to see what others think of the project later in the year.

20. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah, does this mean the third onager foal - mentioned upthread - has in fact arrived?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.