Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2016 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 31 May 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We will learn more later this month. But it looks as if the empty areas in Islands will be filled first. The old Master Plan was geographically based as you suggest, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new scheme is similar. The Zoo owns the land between the banteng paddock in Islands, the hunting dogs and the A41. Plus a much greater area to the north of the nature reserve, car park, Butterfly House and the path behind the zoo's canal to the coffee shop, this extends more or less as far as the Shropshire Union Canal (use the link in the Maps section here to see it). Then there is even more to the east of this area :). Virtually all of this is agricultural land, and could be developed subject to the usual planning procedures.

Alan

2. LSouthern

LSouthern Member

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was earning its keep today by digging a pool for the capybara.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd like to see them dig one for the Sitatunga too. The information sign boards give details of their marsh loving habits- but they haven't got any water at all.

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was just about to type an extremely similar question... :p

All this talk about tapirs and bears being part of phase 2 has confused me as I was under the impression that it was going to be dragons and tapirs, I didn't think the bears were moving over?

7. bongorob

The extent of the land owned by the zoo is shown here.

http://www.zoochat.com/38/chester-zoo-surrounding-area-6741/

8. gentle lemur

The area between the tigers and the gibbons (and eventually orangs) was planned for further tiger enclosures on the outside of the footpath and the tapir enclosure on the Lazy River side. But remember that the plans were drawn up before the zoo got the sun bears. It's possible that they could go into the area previously earmarked for the tiger's extension.
    The Dragon House was planned for the round space behind the earth bank between the bantengs and the path to the viewpoint overlooking the tiger enclosure. It was planned to display some smaller species too. I hope we will hear more next week.

ALan

9. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Anyone else going to the islands talk next week?

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes indeed I think a few questions need asking about,some of the things that have not gone to plan and in some cases are still not going to plan!!

11. gentle lemur

Checking the small print

I have only recently had time to go through the 2015 paperwork and I spotted some things that haven't appeared here before, mainly because they refer to the stock that is off-show.
    First, as Mark Pilgrim has written, 4 pied tamarins were born last year: they have been trying to succeed with this sensitive species for many years and I presume that the successful parents are off-show, perhaps in the units between RotRA and the Animal Hospital. Also off-show are the slender-tailed cloud rats, which bred too.
    Birds bred off-show included Cabot's tragopans, which some ZooChatters will remember and collared partridges, which I had never heard of before. Among the parrots, the grey-breasted parakeets and Mount Apo lorikeets were successful - you can hear them and just about see them with binoculars from the waterfowl rearing area.
    Reptile breedings included tentacled snakes, eyelash vipers and beautiful pitvipers plus several species of smaller lizards, although in many cases there were quite heavy losses among the young animals (which is not uncommon with "lower vertebrates"). We must not forget the tuatara of course.
    There was little success with breeding amphibians. They have brought in some new species and it looks as if they are still getting to grips with their husbandry.
    Finally, I took a special interest in the fishes. Nagy's and Linke's liquorice gouramis were both bred, as were a couple of small Betta species ('fighting fishes'). I also noted that the zoo has a pair of the large Betta macrostoma, sometimes called the Brunei beauty - I'd love to see them, although I wonder if these species are a little too shy to show well on display. I was particularly pleased to see that they also bred two of my favourites, the beautiful little butterfly barb and the giant freshwater pipefish (Doryichthys boaja). I would love to see them in the refurbished Aquarium :)

One final word, I am going to ask the zoo to make a minor change to the species lists, by putting the column headers as a separate line on every page, which will make it much easier for readers to get a grasp of all the figures.

Alan

12. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

Does anyone know what was in the original Natural Vision plans and which parts they are still going through with and apart from HoA which ideas they got rid of

13. zoogiraffe

Its all as dead as a Dodo unless Mr Rowlands embryo work with the Dodo has succeeded,but seeing as we haven't had a white board update for awhile we don't know how that work is going!!!

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sumatran Tiger, Topan has now left for Parc Zoo Reynou in France. Leaving 1.2 Tigers at Chester

15. Liv

Liv New Member

I am planning on visiting Chester zoo next week and hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the animals which I have not seen on previous visits.

In particular the Giant Anteaters and the Aardvarks (awake), does anyone have any suggestions as to when might be the best time of the day to catch a glimpse of these two?

Also since Sofia the jaguar has left Chester, does the enclosure in spirit of the jaguar still remain empty, any ideas of future plans for this enclosure?

16. zoogiraffe

Well not asking much are you Chesters pair of Giant Anteaters on the worst showing pair in the UK,the only hope you have is hitting it lucky and turning up when they feed them,then you might just see one,as for the Aardvarks best time to see them active is after the zoo is closed!!!!

Of course there is a plan but just like everyone else including those of us that did the last walk and talk you will have to wait and see!!

17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I still had a sign in today saying it is being improved

18. bongorob

Ophidia and I saw all three aardvarks active at about 10.30am on our last visit, however someone was working in the house. As Zoogiraffe says, it is just luck. Aardvarks can be seen active in dayligt at blackpool zoo.

19. bongorob

The pipefish are on show in the aquarium.

11 species (not including fishes and invertebrates) bred for the first time at Chester in 2015.

short-eared elephant shrew
    pied tamarrin
    slender-tailed cloud rat
    Cabot's tragopan
    collared hill partridge
    green aracari
    white-tailed jay
    chameleon forest dragon
    beautiful pit viper
    golden mantella
    Reinwardt's tree frog.

20. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

Are all these animals on show I know the Golden Mantella and Short-eared Elephant Shrews are but I don't remember seeing any of the others on my last visit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.