Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2016 #3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 2 Sep 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

18kg?! The big news here is the discovery of superdense matter in a chelonian...

ThylacineAlive, bongorob and Swampy like this.
  2. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18kg hatchling? Shome mishtake surely :)

4. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This species was on show in the aquarium a few months ago, i'm not sure if it still is.

5. Charlie Simmomds

Evening all, as it is December and we are coming to the end of the year, I thought it was time , as news is fairly stagnant, for us to reflect on what a good year it has been for Chester overall much better than 2015.

6. Charlie Simmomds

With this I wondered what you all believe to be A the biggest birth of the year B the best new animal on show and finally any other good moments from this year.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Why not ask this question in a thread of its own,as as far as I am concerned this is a news thread,you never know I may even give my thoughts on the subject,which will make certain people in the zoo sit up with shock!!

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tank where they were housed is now the home of the dwarf Indian mudskippers and upside-down jellyfish.

9. Charlie Simmomds

That I will

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Whilst you are at it, I'd be interested to hear an explanation as to why you think 2015 was a bad year for Chester :p

11. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Had a visit today on a quiet chilled winter Sunday and couple of things I noticed today where:
    -I think some more Bush Dogs and Capybara pups have been born, i'm sure there was only 4 capybara at the start of the year there are now 13 (from what I counted)
    -Indonesian Spiny Turtle now inhabit the left-hand side of the Mountain Chicken enclosure
    -Finally seen the Montserrat Tarantula!
    -I saw one of the Palwan Binturong in the corner of a nest box having a kip!
    -Solo the Tapir has lost his stripes and now looks a mini Malayan Tapir

12. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

Visited Friday and really enjoyed how much more relaxing it was compared to the summer months as it felt like we had the Zoo to ourselves, i also saw one of the Palawan Binturong in his nest box too it will be interesting to see when they will start to make use of the outdoor enclosure more. On a side note also visited the lanterns for the first time and would like to add how brilliant they were, I would recommend them to anyone!

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. gentle lemur

Very interesting. Will other regions take note?

16. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Work has just got underway on the changes to Oakfield House. For those not aware, the terrace is going to be made larger and placed under a large glass conservatory (described as a "garden room") and there are to be extensive internal changes to make a large "gastropub". There'll also be an extension out into what is currently the little courtyard.

Apparently the work is due to to take 52 weeks, but the planning application looks to be in two phases, so there may be a break over the summer.

Plans are here: 16/02927/LBC | Demolition of modern store room and kitchen extension. New timber clad kitchen extension to north of building, New single storey garden room extension to south of property, Internal alterations to; create window openings from reception hall to morning room and drawing room, doorway from drawing room to hall way, bar opening from stair hall to drawing room, new WCs at ground floor, reordering of staff facilities at first floor, existing external bar and BBQ alterations to improve outbuildings. Repairs to external elevations, roof and chimneys. | Oakfield House Chester Zoo Caughall Road Upton Chester CH2 1LH

17. gentle lemur

Farrow & Ball paint and Thomas Crapper cisterns :rolleyes:
    I don't think it's going to resemble my natural habitat.

18. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The "old" zoo is really going to change in the next year; all the work to Oakfield House, the huge new play area and the demolition of the lots of long-standing fixtures, such as the polar bear and tiger enclosures... My comfort zone is being eroded too.

bongorob likes this.
  19. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are they building a new play area, or are you just referring to the large one already by June's pavilion

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Personally I am entirely happy about these changes, even the demolition of the exhibits to which you refer - even though the current Europe on the Edge exhibit is one of my favourites within the entire collection :p but then, it would be a boring world indeed if we all felt the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.