Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2016 #3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 2 Sep 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news!

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm assuming Northern Luzon like the majority of the other cloud rats in Europe?

3. TeaLovingDave

That is correct :)

4. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Great news about the developments and £7m investment, is it all scheduled to be completed for summer 2017 as is the aim for the new islands exhibits?

5. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope the tree shrews haven't gone offshow if the cloud rats have been moved in there...I at least would like them to be moved somewhere else in the zoo...(perhaps in Dragons in Danger or something).

6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Cloud Rats are in with the Tree Shrews, not that I saw either this morning.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The bird I saw there today was not laughing, but it was a thrush - a female blackbird to be precise. There was also a wire cage in the aviary with a food bowl inside and an opening in the top, so I think the keepers have a cunning plan to catch it.

I saw one tree shrew and no cloud rats this afternoon.

The big news is that the path around Islands is closed between the tiger tunnel and the entrance to the Monsoon Forest. There was a digger and two dumper trucks at work on the site of the new tapir enclosure. In addition the Monkey House was closed and there was scaffolding around the exit door, and the sloths were off-show in the morning, there are now two holes in the brickwork of the Jag House, which are temporarily blocked, but will eventually give them access to the new outdoor enclosure.

When I was leaving the zoo just before closing time at 5 pm, I was surprised by the number of people waiting outside, all staring at their mobile phones. It was Pokemon Wednesday - sessions starting at 5 and 5.30 until the zoo closed at 7.30. I think the Zoo will have made quite a bit of money at £5 a head, and the good thing is that it will all go towards conservation work in Madagascar (according to the Zoo's website). I hope all the Pokemon people followed the Zoo's rules and had a good evening.

Alan

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Mixing the two seems a good move - firstly, because taking the tree shrews off show would be a crying shame, and, secondly, because the more active tree shrews should make the sleepy cloud rats' regular invisibility less noticeable.

9. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks - I was hoping for something a little more exotic! I thought I glimpsed two birds, but perhaps not. It/they never settled, which would fit with an inadvertent captive.

10. bongorob

Rob one day I saw something flitting around in the magpie aviary by the entrance to elephants, but I couldn't get a clear view. Eventually a family came upand the boy said, "dad, I don't think that robin is supposed to be in there."

I felt very silly :p

11. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cotton-Top Tamarins (1.1) have returned to Chester, the zoo has announced via its Facebook page. They're back in their old exhibit (the smallest of the three canalside primate exhibits opposite the Onager paddock), which housed Lac Alaotra Bamboo Lemurs until recently.

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Gentle Lemurs have been moved to the former Capuchin Island

First time Chester have had Cotton Top Tamarins in 15 years

13. TeaLovingDave

Very nice; perhaps they will be a little easier to spot now :) a species I am very fond of!

I thought it was 11 years? Either way, a nice arrival although there are species I would have preferred to come in ;)

14. Nisha

The 2011 international studbook says that the last ones went to Shaldon in 2001

15. TeaLovingDave

Nope, one born in 1999 (Studbook number 12777) remained until 2005, at which point he left for Manor House. It looks like a new female (Studbook number 13187) arrived from Tropical World Leeds in 2002 and later left with the male for Manor House.

Looking at the studbook, between 2002 and 2005 there were several births to this pairing at Chester; none lived long, however.

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Red Titi have gone from Miniature Monkeys,which seems to have been missed by people either that or I missed it being posted!

17. bongorob

TLD I have the last year for cotton-topped tamarins at Chester as 2005, 11 years ago.

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I squeezed in a quick visit today. I saw the cloud rats finishing their breakfast at about 10.20. One climbed around and had a good look at me (as I was frantically trying to change my lens). Then both disappeared into the leaves and branches high in their enclosure.
    The area under development in Islands is now marked on the map and screened off. The path has been reopened past the rhino hornbills as far as the end of the orang/gibbon enclosure.

Alan

19. Nisha

You need new glasses ;) I posted it into the previous Chester thread on 30th July

20. bongorob

I bet he was thinking about reptiles and missed it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.