Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You forgot the car park work lol

Yes should look good once it's all finished, but with chester's motto, I'm sure the diggers and closed barriers won't stay away for long, or probably more will start before these are finished, although makes sense to hold off till after the peak summer period.

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

interesting to hear that the former cassowary enclosure refurb has been stalled....I wonder why!

3. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Thank you Gentle Lemur and Bongorob! I can't believe that I thought they had a full-sized arapaima! :p

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quite true about the car park :)
    Interestingly enough, I was talking about the 'Always Building' slogan with Pertinax and Gigit last week. It doesn't appear on the Zoo's publications any longer (neither does the beaver logo), but I note that Mark Pilgrim quoted it again in his column in the new Z magazine. Perhaps it should return.

They are making us wait - we must be patient.

5. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, especially as it perfectly sums up the zoo over recent times.

I remember when in first started as member, you would get the odd upgrade or new exhibit maybe each year, guess they need to keep building/improving expanding to maintain the visitor numbers, simular to major them parks.

6. Water Dragon

With all this construction that is going on at the zoo, would anyone recommend visiting at this moment of time?

7. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Members could take up to 12 other people and get all of them half price admission on Members' Day, so that's a large contributing factor. I've not been to one for ages... far too busy.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It actually doesn't affect a normal day out that badly - very few animals are offshow (that wouldn't normally be! ;) ) and not even that many paths are closed off.

That said, if you're travelling a way I might be tempted to wait for at least the 'Islands' developments to be done, just to be able to see them.

9. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the list! I'm guessing Tuan is an orang or am I wrong?

Should've quoted that :/

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, Tuan is the male Bornean who is currently off-show in the old Ape House

11. Water Dragon

Thanks Maguari! I should be visiting sometime soon. I don't live too far away so the Islands construction won't be much of a problem. ;)

Maguari likes this.
  12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

did a members day last year, it was far too busy and most sections had the interns to meet the public instead of the keepers. That is the sections that actually bothered to arrange something. Many did not.

13. Water Dragon

It is nice to see that so many off-show species are going on-show now at the zoo, especially with the reptiles; e.g. ploughshare tortoises, graham's anoles, spiny-tailed iguanas, sun skinks, etc. Though, I know it's unlikely, I have my fingers crossed for the Bermuda skinks being next!

14. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where the Graham's anoles off show that long? I thought they were new arrivals.

15. Water Dragon

Though I know it's not completely reliable, I saw them on zootierliste before they came on show.

16. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo has Graham's Anole and they are in the large viv with the Rio Maraon Dart Frogs. They arrived in 2015.

Water Dragon, uncross your fingers. Bermuda skinks, being fossorial, are not planned to go on show in the immediate future.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Graham's anole are originally a Jamaican endemic, but apparently introduced on Bermuda.
    Hence, the connection I guess with Chester and herps.

18. Water Dragon

Consider them uncrossed for now. I just hope that they put something on show that's more exciting than the invisible blue-legged mantella frogs.
    Does anyone think that soon the naked mole rats or the narrow-striped mongooses will make an appearence?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2017
  19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Although the Naked Mole Rats are doing well the zoo does not have enough colony's to put a colony on show yet,but give then time the numbers are going the correct way.As for the Narrow-striped Mongoose they can be seen in the zoo if you know where to look!

20. Water Dragon

Thanks for the info! As for the mongooses, would you be willing to share where abouts you can see them? The only place I know of that you can see an off-show enclosure is through the gate behind Fruit Bat Forest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.