Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 1 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Sorry but I know for a fact that the Senior management within the zoo will be taking this very seriously,and the last thing they need is an arm chair expert trying to make fun of it,as they will not have found any of it very funny!!The fact that this is the second escape in less than 12 months from Monsoon Forest,will mean that the zoo will be taking this very seriously,and they will be reviewing things to see what they can learn to prevent this ever happening again,as it could have very serious consequences for the zoo if it happens again,such as the permanent closing of Monsoon to the public if the licencing people deem it necessary.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm sure it wouldn't come to that - not permanent closure anyway. Given the money invested, if it did come to the unlikely situation that orangs and the public couldn't both be allowed in Monsoon Forest I'm sure they'd move the orangs back to Realm of the Red Ape and stock up with less risky primates in Monsoon Forest. Not that I think it will come to that, as I say.

Zia likes this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hang on, let's keep a sense of proportion here - otherwise The Sun's finest may exaggerate this incident as they did for the Kumbuka one. No orangs have ever escaped from the Monsoon Forest, as zoogiraffe well knows. There has been no danger to the public at any stage.
    That doesn't mean that the incidents must not be investigated, or that lessons cannot be learned. There may need to be modifications to buildings and fittings and/or changes to management protocols. Temporary solutions must be in place immediately and permanent ones must follow. Questions will certainly be asked at the zoo's next inspection and the zoo will have to demonstrate that effective changes have been made. Nonetheless, it is not exactly a surprise that the orangs have provided the toughest test of the Monsoon Forest's security: no other species has the orang's combination of intelligence, dexterity, strength and perseverance at problem solving. It is one of the reasons that building orang accommodation is so expensive, as I have mentioned before.

BennettL, BlackRhino78, Zia and 5 others like this.
  4. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Look I'm sorry for causing all this, maybe my joke wasn't the best timed or placed, I understand the zoo will take this incident very seriously, I know I would too If I ran a zoo and this were to happen. I'm sure Chester will get to the bottom of it. Still I apologise for my comment.

Zia likes this.
  5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Asian Elephant calf born overnight to Sithami - early reports indicate that the calf is a male

BennettL, Zia, MagpieGoose and 5 others like this.
  6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester confirmed on twitter around 15 minutes ago that it is indeed a boy :D

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fantastic news :)

8. Charlie Simmomds

That takes the heard up to either 2:6 or 2:7 I'm not sure on which one that is though, or if it even is that amount, either way well done Chester zoo, a great birth to start the year on!

9. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The birth takes the herd up to 2:6

Great news for Chester

10. Charlie Simmomds

11. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Think i`ve found it :D

12. Charlie Simmomds

Found what?

13. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I don't think you've got anything to apologise for Charlie - it was quite clearly a tongue in cheek comment... which helps to keep the sense of proportion Gentle Lemur mentioned ;)

Well that's great news!

jde7582 likes this.
  14. Charlie Simmomds

Well Chester's new baby elephant has a name. It was chosen by the public on facebook and twitter and It was my personal favourite of the three choices: Aayu Hi Way!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  15. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Ústí mentioned that planned export of their young Sunda wrinkled hornbill to Chester zoo has been halted for now.

Czech republic is fighting with bird flu, and transports of zoo birds are prohibited.

16. Charlie Simmomds

As is the UK at the minute, so this halt is probably for the best.

17. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Still closed today: the sign simply says that some of the bats are receiving veterinary treatment.

I was surprised to find a very solid fence around the rainbow lawn - according to the map, this is for the construction of "PLAY!"

18. Charlie Simmomds

Thanks for that it was suppose to open yesterday but clearly not! And Play, I wonder if that is the new madagascan themed play area?

19. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is, they are using the whole lawn for the new play/climbing area, wonder if this will mean the closing of the noahs ark play area, if they redeveloped that whole area, including the old tiger and aviary.

It was strange seeing the lawn (or not even) that area absent really changed in all time I have been visiting the zoo

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

No its not going to be a Madagascan play area,it will be a new water themed play area if my sources are correct!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.