Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2017 Review

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Water Dragon, 10 Jul 2017.

1. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What will Europe on the Edge (the old one) get turned into? Have they revealed any special plans?

2. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately,it maybe getting demolished.

3. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

It is being replaced with a Madagascar-themed exhibit.

4. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wasn't sure if some of these waterfowl would be moved into the large wetland aviary near the black rhinos and zebras. Does anyone know if this is the the case, or are they likely to depart the collection?

5. Water Dragon

Highlights

Mammals
    Southern Pudu
    Philippine Mouse Deer
    Bats
    Aye-Ayes

Birds
    Montserrat Oriole
    Schalow's Turaco
    Southern Cassowary
    Javan Rhinoceros Hornbill

Reptiles
    Tuatara
    False Gharial
    Ploughshare Tortoise
    Reticulated Python

Amphibians
    Rio Cauca Caecilian
    Golden Mantella
    Lake Patzcuaro Salamander
    Blue Poison Dart Frog

Fish
    Pinstripe Damba
    Sterlet
    Butterfly Barb
    Betta Palifina

Invertebrates
    Golden Orb-Weaver Spider
    Emerald Cockroach Wasp
    Sea Star
    Orchid Mantis

Exhibits
    Fruit Bat Forest
    Tropical Realm
    Monsoon Forest
    Dragons in Danger

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I believe this was simply because it was easier to separate the bears when necessary in the Jaguar house enclosure.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is a difference between only *seeing* one individual in an enclosure and there only *being* one individual in an enclosure :p given the extended length of time between the species laying eggs and these eggs hatching - along with the fact that the eggs were incubated off-display and not left to their own devices - it is safe to say that only seeing Pixie in October had nothing to do with Chester having bred the species in roughly the same timeframe :p

Always interesting to see people's suggested routeplans :p quite apart from anything else, I'd be interested to see how different it is to my usual route!

8. Water Dragon

Not a bad idea for a new thread... :rolleyes:

9. Water Dragon

10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

:D

11. Water Dragon

I wonder how it must feel for some of the older Chester Zoo visitors to see a lot of the old exhibits go. I was disappointed enough at the closure of Condor Cliffs :confused:

12. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gutting!

Though there's much to commend in recent developments it's arguable that many of the older exhibits gave better views of the animals. Which - after all - is the purpose of visiting.

bongorob and Water Dragon like this.
  13. Komodo99

I will miss the old tiger enclosure.I remember when I was a young child that whenever we went to Chester I would always want go and see the tigers.I remember watching the tigers for half an hour while they were fed and was blown away by those animals.Part of the reason why big cats hold a special place in my heart.

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The sun bears were moved because they were notgetting on. Maguari has posted the reason why they moved

re Pudu - that is the downside of restricted viewing, outside viewing into this exhibit is needed.

Asian Steppes. I can never make my mind up. Do they have the wrong wild ass species, or do they have the wrong camel species? I'll go for the wrong camel species, Arabian camel would be appropriate.

The female tuataras were nor removed from the enclosure, they were probably hibernating.

Europe on the Edge will be demolished as will the old tiger enclosure - this area will be rebuilt as part of the Forest Zone. Thre aviary was named for birds on the edge of extinction and birds on the edge of their natural range.

I see no reason why they ducks won't move to the new aviary

Water Dragon likes this.
  15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nowadays the visitors seem to be an after thought.

Swampy likes this.
  16. Water Dragon

Too right. Some of the enclosures are way too foliaged at the moment such as the Lemur Island and the Spectacled Bears. At the moment the zoo only has four parrot species on-show (if I have done the maths correctly), and half their bird and reptile collection are being kept off-show as well.

17. Komodo99

Plus there are now only four species of venomous snake being kept at the zoo.Tentacled snakes,Gaboon vipers,White lipped tree viper and eyelash vipers which are off show.

18. Water Dragon

Gila Monsters and Beaded Lizards have departed as well.

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, you must never feel disappointed about this sort of thing. Chester's progress has always been founded on refurbishing or demolishing and rebuilding old exhibits. The oldest surviving exhibits at Chester, that were there when I first visited as a boy, have been improved and upgraded (even the godforsaken Nissen hut aviary). The majority have been demolished and replaced with something better. I still miss the range of species that were kept in old Cat House, the Small Mammal House and the disused reptile corridor in the Tropical House - but none of them would meet modern standards for animal accommodation, neither could they cope with the number of visitors that the zoo attracts today. There have been occasional false steps along the way, such as the dreadful little pools for penguins and small-clawed otters that were built on the site of the old Reptile House, and soon demolished in their turn (the site is now the half of the penguin exhibit next to the giant otters): but on the whole the process has been onwards and upwards, with fewer species housed in better enclosures. As the zoo continues to expand, the number of species may creep up a little, but expansion will also create the space for the older buildings like the Cattle House, the Tropical World and the old Ape House to be transformed or replaced in the forseeable future.

Brum, Maguari, PAT and 6 others like this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My pet hate at present, and not only at Chester, is the trend towards these new 'interpretative/immersive' exhibits where complicated layout actually makes the animals more difficult to see because of the limited viewing access and long distances to walk to get anywhere to a spot where you might see them from. Good examples at Chester are the Hunting dogs and Sumatran orangs. I suspect the Tigers in Islands also come into this category. And although I haven't seen it, London's new Lion exhibit sounds similar too.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
    Water Dragon and bongorob like this.