Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Autumn 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Indlovu, 13 Oct 2014.

1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Considering that it is October, the weather outside is rather bleak and the summer thread has reached eighteen pages, it is perhaps time to start the Autumn thread.

The Zoo have announced, via Facebook, the birth of another White-Faced Saki.

[​IMG]

... And there are also pups in the Meerkat and Dwarf Mongoose groups.

2. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

saw this little guy yesterday, he was full of energy and mum did not look amused :)

3. RicaFan

RicaFan Well-Known Member

I must get down to Chester Zoo at some stage, I have heard so many good things about it

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today, the Dalmatian pelicans weren't on display in the African wetlands, but i did see some off display behind the duck nursery by the red pandas. Anybody know what's going on with them?

6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Te pelicans are leaving the zoo, so that refurbishment of the enclosure can be undertaken during the winter. At the moment I understand that they are not coming back. Sorry, I can't remember where they are going to, but it is not the U.K.

7. Swampy

Aw, that's sad, That leaves the exhibit feeling a bit empty

In other news, the terrarium that was formerly split into 3 smaller terrariums housing various invertebrates in the tropical realm now holds golden mantellas.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess they will have an African conspecific in there before long (if and when the refurb is finished).

Quite a few candidates on the Continent for Dalmatians!

What makes me sad ... is that they had started to breed ..., didn't they (or am I blast mistaken here ...). Remember something of sorts ...

9. Swampy

Yes, the pelicans had bred a few times.
    I do hope they get something good into replace them...Imagine shoebills...

10. ChesterZooFan

ChesterZooFan Well-Known Member

I know it isn't going to happen, but I always thought the wetlands area would be perfect for sitatunga. A great mix of grassland, reed bed, swamp an water.......

11. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

To my mind this has been something of a disappointing exhibit of late. Andrew Owen said that he'd like it to house large flocks - whistling ducks for example - but the only impressive one currently in resident is made up of native starlings.

It's a large area - particularly so if you're inside it - and so much could be done. More wishful thinking but... imagine an area akin to Bristol's Seal and Penguin Coast, which is alive with inca terns and eider ducks.

12. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm visiting Chester in a few weeks and would like to know if anyone has done the Oakfield House tour they're advertising? Is it worth it?

13. ChesterZooFan

There is a very very scathing review on trip advisor..... Not heard any other feedback about it though so may be one sided?

14. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

If ever you want to feel depressed about the intellect of the great British public, spend a few minutes reading Trip Advisor reviews! The tour may be god, or may be dreadful, but I'm not sure whether a review on Trip Advisor would indicate either way.....

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How true. It usually is a tour around Charlie and the Chocolate Factory stuff. I would not give it the time of day.

16. ChesterZooFan

I do take the 'extreme' trip advisor reviews with a pinch of salt. However in my experience as long as there are a significant number of reviews (i.e. Over 50+) they are usually a very good indicator of the merit of a particular attraction or restaurant.

Chester Zoo was recently voted number one zoo in the UK by trip advisor contributors, corresponding to the results of similar threads on this site, and as such I don't think they should be discounted as unworthy or inaccurate.

The majority of the reviews about Chester Zoo on trip advisor are very positive and balanced. Ignore those at the extremities (as one would do in many kinds of analysis) and you get an accurate picture.

I have no idea how much attention Chester pay to their trip advisor reviews, but as they are actively advertising their 'number 1 on trip advisor' status from all the positive comments then I think they should also listen to the negative feedback. If they believe the hype they must also act on the opportunities! The most common complaints recently being the annoying and aggressive promotion of scratch cards (something I have been on the receiving end of and found extremely frustrating) and the constant hassle to have photographs taken at various locations around the zoo (again an unwelcome intrusion in my opinion).

Like it or not trip advisor is once of the best indicators of customer satisfaction with a significant number of prospective customers making a purchasing or visit decision based upon the status of a trip advisor review. In the new digital age any business should ignore these kind if reviews at their peril!

17. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The aquarium is exhibiting a colony of upsidedown jellyfish (Cassiopea andromeda)

A baby Kenya Crested Guineafowl (hatched in July can be seen in the Tsavo aviary).

The pelicans are going (or have gone) to Zagreb Zoo.

18. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

The Pelicans were not in the aviary on Monday 27th Oct, so that explains that for me thanks. I was sat in the hide having a brew merrily counting species away when it dawned on me they had gone (nests as well :p).

19. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

I photographed the pelicans in the off show aviary behind the red panda on Monday 3rd Nov.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new female Spectacled Bear has arrived. Her name is Lima and she is two years old - no information on where she is from