Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion and Questions 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. All elephants are born with one of the many strains of EEHV which only come into play at times when the immune system may be weakened, such as when a calf is weaned and is reliant for the first time on its own defenses. Factors such as virulence of a particular strain of EEHV, treatments attempted, and even how long Chester calves were nursed before weaning are more likely the specific factors involved, as opposed to the general DNA of the Chester herd. The Chester and European reproductive practice of breeding cows every three years is undoubtedly the way to save the population from extinction--something the US needs to follow---but it may be that calves do not develop full immunity with three years of nursing.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  2. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Zoogiraffe if you're talking about the Elefantastic shows and the elephant walk where the Pachyderms walked tail to tail,you're thinking of Whipsnade Zoo. Chester has neaver done elephant shows or walks. However you're right when you say that the walks and shows have ceased as about two years ago Whipsnade ended the elephant walks

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I suggested you read some of the old posts relating to Chester and you will be be enlightened, that I have not gone mad and that I was talking about something that Chester used to do for this site. I am well aware of what Whipsnade did/ do but why would I post about that on a Chester thread as that would just be pointless and useless on a Chester thread.

14556 and SHAVINGTONZOO like this.
  4. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Beautiful zoo

5. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Looking at the Chester website, they list their elephant shrews as North African elephant shrews -E. rozeti. I thought this sounded unusual and so checked zootierliste where they are listed as short-earred elephant shrews- M. proboscideus. I assume someone will know the answer to this?

Rayane likes this.
  6. zoogiraffe

That would be a mistake on the website, as the signage says the later in the zoo

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jan 2020
    pipaluk and oflory like this.
  7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Assumed as much, rather sadly, as would love to see another elephant shrew sp.

8. Dendro70s

Dendro70s Member

I don't contribute to these forums very often but I read them regularly.

Zoogiraffe: I'm frustrated by the manner of your frequent negative comments about Chester Zoo. You make snide comments about the animal collection/planning, curatorial staff, upcoming plans etc etc etc and I'm left to wonder if you have proof to back up some of your statements and opinions because many of your frustrations appear to be based on information which is not in the public domain.

9. zoogiraffe

Well I don't know where you got the idea of me having no evidence of this one as it's there for all to see on the website, yes I do tend to know stuff that is not public knowledge but if you know where to dig it can be found out things are changing at Chester, and not all is for the good of the zoo, if you don't want me to post hints at what is happening fine, I will stop posting and do other things instead of coming on. But be warned I am not the only person that knows all is not well at Chester despite of how well they are doing in terms of visitors.

10. Dendro70s

Dendro70s Member

Here’s my frustration. You keep posting ‘hints’ without giving any specific details or knowledge of how you’ve found out whatever information you might have. Without giving such details or evidence you risk bias against the zoo based on conjecture.

11. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

This appears to be 'Discussions and Questions' about zoogiraffe and not 'Discussions and Questions' about Chester Zoo. As such is it is off-thread.

12. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

To be fair the point being made is about the perception of the zoo:

13. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have had my run ins with Zoogiraffe, I don't know the guy and have never met him face to face but I do have a great respect for him and always look forward to what he as to say.

Jennings, ian999 and pangolin12 like this.
  14. Shaz

Shaz Member 5+ year member

Visited the zoo today and in with the rock hyrax was a small mammel with a tail. Anyone else seen it or know what it is?

15. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Maybe a local mouse or rat that broke into the exhibit?

16. Shaz

Anybody know what is happening with the giant anteaters? I see one regularly near the capybaras which I presume is Bliss. Where is Oso?

17. Shaz

No def I know what a mouse or rat looks like. It was almost meerkat size with furry tail

pangolin12 likes this.
  18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a Dwarf Mongoose

pipaluk, Shaz, Brum and 1 other person like this.
  19. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Actually, Chester had elephant walks and elephant rides.

20. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a postcard, showing 2 elephants giving rides at Chester, on eBay just last week. I stopped bidding at £28, which I thought was plenty for a single postcard, and didn't get it. I have the item number somewhere if anyone needs the reference...