Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do not say so but I think there may be the possibility she still isn't fully immune and could get it again until she passes the age threshold, which is some way off for her yet.

2. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've noticed on the Chester map (on their website), just below the giraffes it says 'Asiatic Lions coming soon'. Does anybody know if this will be an upgrade for the current lions or if they are getting new lions in?

Are the current lions a breeding group?

3. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's an upgrade for the current lions. They were intended to be a breeding group, but they've had no success thus far (and, given the age of the lionesses, it would be surprising if they bred in the future).

4. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the unrelated question....does anyone know what the plans are for the mono rail replacement?

After a brief bit of research it seems that a lot of places that had monorails have over the years abandoned them (jurong bird park, chessington, san diego wild animal park etc etc) and replaced with road bussees - cheaper and less maintenance im guessing.

Will chester not have any public transport system going forward or will it too go with busses?

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think buses would be very, very unlikely. A nightmare on busy days. (Does anyone else remember the ancient Ford Transit that used to be used to take members to the lecture theatre in snowy/icy conditions?)

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I wonder if @leiclad20 means more of a 'road-train' than an actual bus - which would be more likely.

7. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even a land train will have issues on most days at the zoo trying to get past visitors

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I find road trains inherently 'unclassy' (as opposed to zoos having actual trains which is super-cool). I hope Chester doesn't get one.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The monorail generated £481,000 in revenue in 2018, so it isn't likely to be replaced by a free service.

10. Ed123

Ed123 Member

I wonder how much it cost in repairs and maintenance though?

100% sure there will be a replacement in the medium term. The zoo will be too big not to have some form of transportation. That’s one reason cited as to why the monorail was removed in the first place as it did not cover enough of the footprint of the zoo.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The monorail only transported people from the Monkey House to Jubilee Square (the site of the old Monkey House) and vice versa - as well as giving alternative views en route. But it did have the advantage that the tracks crossed Flag Lane twice.
    I can imagine some sort of bus service from the Entrance to the Fruit Bat Forest and, after some road widening, on to the causeway leading to Islands: but crossing the bridleway into the East Zoo would be a bigger problem. The Bats' Bridge can't take vehicles and the Elephant Bridge is often crowded (as @SHAVINGTONZOO has described) and it is hump-backed, which increases the risk of accidents. Could either or both of the bridges be rebuilt or would an entirely new bridge be better? If this was done, would a triangular route from the Entrance to the jaguars or orangs, then to Jubilee Square and back to the Entrance be feasible?

12. leiclad20

Tbh i was considering both! I agree with what other posters have said about the risk of accidents with busses driving around the zoo on busy days. Theres only a few paths at chester wide enough for busses, unlike at whipsnade which has actual roads distinct from pavements. Land trains and busses could both carry a risk if accidents.

Thanks for posting the monorail revenue figure, that's interesting. But i still suspect the cost of maintenance outweighs that, or at least consumes it all. It stood be interesting to know if it brings in a profit.

Because of flag lane and narrow paths around most of the zoo, tbh i think a monorail would be ideal for chester, if cost was removed as a factor.

13. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new monorail on a new wider route would make sense, surely. As suggested by GL.

I usually prefer to get around the zoo, or any zoo, on foot but there have been times in the past I've used the monorail for a lift back over to the entrance area. In the new zoo, that need is greater than ever for many visitors. So accepting that some form of transport is needed, given the constraints of the paths, and the need to have something high end for a premier attraction, then a new, modern elevated railway seems most appropriate.

And a money spinner of course, which will always appeal to the zoo's management :)

Last edited: 5 Sep 2019
  14. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Would a cable car / gondola system work as a new alternative to the monorail similar to one previous at Alton towers. This would have small footprints around the zoo as you can have much larger spans between steels / posts whilst being unique giving great views if designed right and large through puts.

Brum and NigeW like this.
  15. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I was literally about to post the cable car option myself. Not sure it is at all likely or the most efficient option - but it would be cool.

We never went on the monorail - what was the ticketing option? Was it an all day thing or pay as you go?

NigeW likes this.
  16. J C

Both you could have unlimited or one stop tickets

17. leiclad20

The gondola/cable car option is an interesting idea! San diego recently opened one and Taronga zoo has one too. So its by no means unheard of or left -field. Of course if needs to be elevated, and thus visible on the skyline, which might meet objections from the local community. Also, a cable car can only have 2 stops, one at each end. So it won't help transport people around different areas of the zoo like a monorail or bus would.

18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Chimelong has a cable car with three stops, although the middle one is not actually used. I think in principle there's no reason why you couldn't have a circular cable car with four or more stops.

19. J C

The one previous at Alton towers had three stops, you just need a low level station with a bend wheel on it to divert the cable in another direction and if this was to happen it would need innovative solutions to divert the cars around the park to set it apart as a modern solution. As for planning yes this would be a concern but I don’t think it would be much higher than monsoons roof for instance and you have to think they have a bit of a silver spoon with the local council given the amount of visitors they attract unlike collections such as Hamilton who seam to have problems passing some of there plans with there council

20. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You can install a VPN with a UK server and then find many episodes online at channel 4's website.