Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

EGgp8a8W4AAALDg.jpg IMG_9821.JPG

In the 70's and 80's there were drinking fountains at various locations right across the zoo (6 that I can immediately recall). Clearly removed to increase on-site sale of refreshments!
    Now that the zoo has improved it's environmental credentials, surely their return is very long overdue? I think it's time they were reintroduced (or their modern equivalent water bottle refill stations) An instant win for conservation, for the environment and an improvement to customer experience too. Imagine just how many single use bottles this would eliminate! In fact, no need to imagine, many of these machines have a display showing number of bottles and CO2 saved over time.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2019
    sooty mangabey likes this.
  2. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in a thread about food in zoos, surprised that zoos could overlook conservation in favor of profit. We still have water fountains in zoos I can think of here, but all of those installed originally in the college where I teach 50 years ago are now being left in disrepair, often covered in unsightly tarps, as if there is no longer a demand for tap water. Ironically, several generations grew up with better teeth because of the fluoride added to public water. I wonder how long it will take for all that plastic bottle accumulation in landfills to convince people to opt against single-use bottles? Not nearly enough make it to recycling centers.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Something which is still found in rather a lot of continental collections!

4. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Chester zoo will refil water bottles for you at the food kiosks.

5. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

That sounds more than fair--one might even get ice in the process! Are there signs apprising visitors of this?

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

This is just the norm imo - if there are no refill stations I will always ask for tap water in cafes / kiosks etc wherever we are. Don't think signs are necessary.

Andrew Swales, BeakerUK and AmbikaFan like this.
  7. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course there's no signs. Not everyone is brave enough to ask and so ker-ching another plastic bottle sold!

8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Surely no-one is too 'frightened' to ask for water? The reason for the bottle sales is purely demand...

BeakerUK and Zia like this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

"Frightened" is perhaps the wrong word; I know that in my own case I would probably feel too awkward/shy/anxious to put myself forward and ask for a bottle to be refilled, even knowing I was within my right to do so!

TNT and North Entrance like this.
  10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Personally I have no problem asking for water in places, but I usually end up buying a bottle anyway because it never really occurs to me to ask for a refill. If I could remember that I can get it for free I'd probably save a fortune...

North Entrance likes this.
  11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

It really is easy - you say "would you be able to refill my water bottle please?" and if they have a tap they will do it. Not once have I experienced anyone being difficult about it - the worst that has happened is at some kiosks they just don't have a tap so they tell you where will be able to offer you a refill instead.

It is not hard to remember if you make it a habit to ask yourself if there is an easy & better option to take everytime you pick up a single use plastic water bottle that is also going to cost you money.

It is simple. Take a water bottle and use it.

Get yourself an insulated flask thingy like this (cheaper makes are available) and you can use it for cold and / or hot drinks and knock the pointless coffee cups on the head too. Happy days.

Why wouldn't you?

BeakerUK and jde7582 like this.
  12. Andrew Swales

I am not sure there is any 'right' for your bottle to be re-filled from the tap. It is a courtesy extended by the Zoo as the result of an an economic/ethical/public-relations decision - as the Zoo is the owner of the water and will have paid for it by the cubic-metre on a water metre.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2019
  13. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

As I understand it, the requirement to give out free tap water applies to anywhere licensed for on-premises alcohol sale and consumption. Chester certainly do sell booze but I'm not sure if the actual legal requirement would strictly speaking only extend to outlets selling alcohol or to all outlets in the zoo. Either way, as you say, it's a desirable thing for them to do for various reasons.

TNT likes this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I believe only specific outlets are licenced and the official requirement would only be at those outlets. Regardless - I find it unlikely that you would be refused on that basis.

Maguari likes this.
  15. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Just to be clear - Chesters stance is...

upload_2019-10-12_12-19-53.png

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

As it happens I do take water bottles and use them, rather than buying them - it's asking for a refill that would give me trouble!

As for your final remark, you might as well say "have you ever tried NOT having Asperger's and social anxiety?" :p

I was talking more generally; being moreorless teetotal I've never actually noticed if this law applies at Chester, but all pubs/cafes/restaurants serving alcohol in the UK legally have to provide free tapwater on request - so generally speaking it is a right.

TNT likes this.
  17. Andrew Swales

But, my point was it is not 'free', as the local water authority has charged the pub/restaurant/cafe/zoo for it. All this law or 'right' does is prevent the establishment from visibly charging for it at the point of supply. They will still have charged for it - as their incoming water costs will have been incorporated in the general cost of their products and/or services. The charge will have been paid by all of their customers including those who did not use it, and hidden from those who thought somehow it was 'free'....

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Water - Paignton's restaurant had a water dispenser and re-usable plastic beakers available on their condiments/cutlery counter for a short while a few months ago. It didn't last long - maybe it was experimental, or maybe non-locals were disgusted by the taste. After 15 years in Paignton, not far from the zoo so with the same water supply, I still can't drink the tap water if it's been left standing. It's like drinking a swimming pool. I buy the cheapest supermarket bottled water that's come from a tap elsewhere.

19. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Shouldn’t we just separate this section of the thread into a water thread like the car park thread?

Azubaa and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know when then new lion enclosure is likely to open ?