Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

GOSH - I thought I was the only one (on these forums at least) :D

SMR likes this.
  2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I have no strong feelings - does that count? ;)

oflory likes this.
  3. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A quick reminder that the new series of Secret Life of the Zoo begins tonight at 8pm on Channel 4.

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will be visiting shortly with my Nephew who loves looking in to tanks myself I don't usually bother but was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction of were these tanks are around the collection and what they hold in them please,
    I know to the ones in the Tropical house as I call it and the ones in the Okapi area also the ones in the Realm of the Red ape any other would be Great please?

5. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The former lion exhibit is to be cleared and turned into a picnic area.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh well, at least it's not another play area ...

Fallax and AthleticBinturong like this.
  7. Sand Cat

Tonight's Secret Life of the Zoo featured the Mountain Chicken Frogs and posed the question of when or if the zoo will see its first breeding of the species... correct me if I'm wrong but haven't they bred before at Chester, albeit some time ago? I'm sure I read it on this forum, courtesy of one of our resident Chester Zoo experts.

As an aside, I quite enjoyed tonight's programme but so far I'm not feeling quite as invested in it as I once was. I think they're making too many episodes and its getting rather repetitive in parts - I'm a huge fan of the series but even I'm starting to wonder if its past its best?

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  8. AthleticBinturong

I’d tend to agree. The series got rather repetitive last series.

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Still no where near as bad as the last series of Animal park, put it on in the background while doing something else if something comes on your more interested in pay more attention, what I started doing with Animal park.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  10. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has put in plans to remove the old Anteater house near the old pedestrian entrance.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. AthleticBinturong

I used to love the original animal park series but the recent 2/3 series are terrible in contrast.

12. Sand Cat

I feel a bit bad doing that, but it may happen yet... the baby giraffe shown last night was adorable but I really did feel like I was watching a repeat at times. There's only so many ways you can spin 'wow its a big drop isn't it?' and 'will it get up and suckle?' - having said that looking at social media most people seemed far more interested in the giraffe story than the rest of the programme, so I guess its not an issue for most people.

I do wonder if there's any way to freshen up SLOTZ without it losing its identity? I would HATE them to have a presenter as for me, the keepers have always been integral to the show and often play a key role in how interesting it is. Even a fairly mundane story can make good viewing when well presented. That said, I'm probably reading far too much into this, but a few of the regulars seem to be on less, or not at all, these days - I wonder if they have got fed up of doing the programme?

Cat-Man likes this.
  13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Which is really unfortunate. The house has little future as an enclosure as that part of the zoo is being emptied of animals, but it has huge historical significance, having housed lions, bears and all manner of different species over the years. The old bear pit would also make a great history exhibit and it's not soaking up space that could be used for another species.

Perhaps one of the zoo history societies could step up and attempt a rescue, rather than let the current Chester management wipe all of the old zoo off the (impossible to read) map?

NigeW, North Entrance, Fallax and 2 others like this.
  14. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here, here. Agreed, the building is part of the original Oakfield Estate. The circular bear pit, one of the oldest remaining enclosures.
    Truth of the matter is that destruction of old familiar landmarks feels like removal of Childhood memories. Current zoo management and many staff came to the zoo later in life and so, not having that emotional link will be more inclined towards site clearance.

SMR likes this.
  15. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I appreciate seeing old histrical enclosures but if they are past their usefulness should they be kept?

BeakerUK likes this.
  16. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I could 'like' this post half a dozen times I would. I couldn't agree more.

That enclosure, in the location it is, presents a perfect opportunity to preserve some history and to present some heritage to the visitor.

Its a shame that the current zoo management are so single minded. Almost blinkered.

Nobody wants to be stuck in the past, and I'm not suggesting that. Just a little nod to heritage amongst the development. After all, there is nothing to be ashamed of in Chester Zoo's history. Quite the opposite.

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And there are probably suitable species which could be housed there. Give me a Civet over a play area any day. ;)

NigeW and North Entrance like this.
  18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not bothered by the demolition of the old brick building and I note that it is proposed to grass over its site until decisions have been made about the future development of the area. But I do agree that it would be a very good idea to keep the round enclosure in some form which would acknowledge its history and put it to use as an up-to-date exhibit, probably with new indoor housing attached. I agree with @SHAVINGTONZOO that, with some modifications, it could be made suitable for a moderately sized mammal species. I would also like to see a sign beside it showing the various forms that this enclosure has had over the years.

19. zoofari

zoofari Well-Known Member

That would be a great idea to have a visitor centre based around the old building and enclosure. It could show the history of the zoo. As already mentioned that part of the zoo is becoming a wasteland regarding animal exhibits. Maybe an idea would be to look at expanding the parrot breeding centre to allow more parrots to exhibited.

20. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When they were in the small mammal house, few people ever stopped to look at the Meerkats. Then ITV made a programme 'meerkats united' interest began and now due to compare the market.com they are an ABC must see animal. Chester is slow on the popular culture uptake. They should definitely now house Wolverine. As in XMen (Used to keep them in the small pit next to brown bears).
    That circular enclosure and building would make an excellent meerkat or Wolverine enclosure.