Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Probably worth mentioning that this is the Chester forum - a zoo that already has "African" (black) and Indian rhinoceros. Had me confused for a moment.

taun likes this.
  2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fair enough, I think the thread was taken off track due to the incorrect suggestion Chester may send black rhino to Twycross, I think the diversion is over now , so it shouldn't be a problem ongoing

3. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone know if the upstairs in the Tropical House is still closed please?

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I think there was an orange barrier on the right as you walk in last week, but I was rushing towards the aya-aye while it was quiet.

AdrianW1963 likes this.
  5. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

The barriers were there on Saturday which was a shame. I had friends over from Norfolk and was looking forward to introducing them to the species in the upper aviaries.

6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

It'll be closed a little while. There is some ongoing maintenance work to replace a number of the railings, but most, possibly all the railings are being crudely raised by about two feet. At least they're being painted to match the more ornate ones beneath.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thinking about it isn’t this like the 4th Male giraffe in a row.

8. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fifth (if you discount Dagmar’s previous calf, which didn’t survive, of which I can’t remember the sex) - Sanyu, Kidepo, Murchison, Narus, and now this calf.

Jambo and Charlie Simmomds like this.
  9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

they are also rebuilding the macaw aviaries near to the sand lizards. They are expected to be open later this year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Samanthakmot

Samanthakmot Member 5+ year member

Saw the little one today. They're expecting another in a month or so (Orla I think, but can't remember for certain?) and keepers have their fingers crossed for a girl this time.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

...and it is taking them ages to complete. No apparent progress has been made for a considerable time.

bongorob likes this.
  12. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are they still keeping the Inca Jay individual after the rebuild has been completed? One of the most charismatic animals in the zoo in my opinion; would be a shame to lose it

13. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

Not being able to tick off all the corvid species has been bugging me! I hope it goes back on show, preferably with one or more others.

14. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

hope they keep the Inca Jay but not holding my breathe as another collection as been linked with a pair.

15. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are the Madagascar exhibits open yet ?

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not yet. Most of the schools locally break up around the 5th April so I'd suspect it might open that weekend.

17. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wonder how long it will be before the younger girls begin breeding (Millie (5), Zahra (4) and Kanzi (6)) at least they won't have to worry about bringing in any more breeding females as they already have the three breeding age females: Dagmar, Orla and Tula (who I believe hasn't had a calf in three? years (I think her last one was Murchison in 2016 and before that she delivered a stillborn in 2015)). Millie, Zahra and Kanzi are all sired by Thorn (who is now at Longleat and has sired a fair few calves there) so they won't have to worry about inbreeding at least, although they will have to move out Murchison and Sanyu (and Mburo) eventually although I am surprised that they moved Narus out first as he is younger than both Murchison and Sanyu, unless he was being disruptive to the herd (you would think the older males would be more problematic behaviourally). Also, does Meru not seem to take as much interest in Tula? As Orla produced calves in 2015 (Kidepo) and 2017 (Narus) and potentially this year? and Dagmar in 2015 (Sanyu), 2017 (Unknown? Calf) and 2019 (Mburo) with a two year interval between whereas Tula delivered a stillborn in 2015 and Murchison in 2016. Also in SLOTZ last year I am pretty sure the episode that focussed on giraffes said Meru was pursuing Orla and Dagmar but made no mention of Tula. Could it just be a longer break between calves or could she have issues with breeding/be on birth control?

18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Narus' move was documented on SLOTZ.
    He appeared quite bold and I think he was a bit of a trouble maker although I don't know this for definite just from what I remember. Hopefully Murchison and Sanyu will move this year.
    According to Animal Park last year Rothschild breeding was to be halted for a few years as there had been such an increase in breeding but obviously some cows were already pregnant.

Jambo likes this.
  19. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

SLOTZ on C4 now, is this a repeat ?

20. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Yep, Series 7 Episode 3 whereas it stopped at episode 7 this time round