Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions Q3 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by North Entrance, 1 Jul 2018.

1. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continued from here: Chester Zoo - Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions Q2 2018}

Whipsnade Section was the old zoo pre 1950, the name remained until wholesale reorganisation in 2002. So named because the section began in the same year as Whipsnade, Bedfordshire and housed the same ABC Zoo animals. Bears, sealions, deer, tigers, lions etc

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Aug 2018
  2. EquusGrevyi

EquusGrevyi Member

Just a quick query to pick peoples brains! I noticed something a bit odd when I visited last week (29/06). I made a beeline for the black rhinos as I always do upon entrance and popped unto Tsavo (to escape the unbearable heat) and I noticed that one of the females either Zuri or Kitani had no calf with her, inside or outside on exhibit. She was in the left half of the public viewing area with access to the paddock parallel to the Painted Dogs.
    Just wondering if anyone knew why this might be as I'm sure the young are still too dependent on their mothers to be moved on?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

They move the Rhino's around the various paddocks and houses as and when needed. So it's quite possible it wasn't Kitani (who was in that side until recently) that you saw at all. Have you got a photo of the individual Rhino?

4. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member

I assume it was Emma ( I believe that’s her name) as when I visited it was Emma on the left and kitani and hazina on the right. Zuri was with ike in the far enclosure with the old rhino house next to the warthogs.

5. JoeDK14

Maybe we should have an animals rarely seen at Chester thread

longleat diego and 14556 like this.
  6. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

H
    Has anyone ever actually seen the Sand Lizards at Chester (Near the Jaguars and Lemur). I don't mean if you've had a behind the scenes tour, or a VIP day or friends work there and you've got close up or anything, I mean during a normal visit. I much have spent hours outside that exhibit wanting to see one, camera at ready but nope not a thing. I swear it's just an empty grassy sandy enclosure lol.

longleat diego likes this.
  7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

I have seen them many times, you must just be unlucky.

Andy B, pipaluk and jde7582 like this.
  8. Zooreviewsuk

Let me know the next time you're going in the next 4 weeks (leave Uk after then) and I'll come along that day and see if your fortune rubs off on me !

9. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member

Seen lots of times aswell

Attached Files:

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

Seen them almost every visit between about Easter and September since they arrived. Just needs to not be winter and be a dry day, preferably sunny for the best views. They bask on the frame of the enclosure by the window.

11. Zooreviewsuk

Thanks all, hopefully will see soon. Must say my last visit was in February to Chester, but had been 19 times from the start of November to end of Feb, so clearly it's the weather and time of year that has been against me, and hopefully my visit next week will be more fruitful.

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

Exactly so. You won't see any native reptiles out of doors in those months. At Chester, look in the bare spots on a sunny day from late March to late September, and you will probably see several.

13. JoeDK14

I counted 5 on Friday

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

Saw them on my last 2 (annual ) visits!

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

Never failed to see the Malayan Tapir since they arrived, twice in old enclosure and last time in islands, October 2017, one outside , 2 through glass in indoor area!

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I've seen people peering into the interior of the enclosure and not seeing any Lizards, while they are basking on the wood-frame right by them.;)

bongorob and Maguari like this.
  17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I think I've seen the Tigers on all three of my visits to Islands, but the Tapirs were typically(for this species) invisible, presumably behind the wall in the inside area. Might I suggest the difficulties mentioned on here in seeing the Tigers may be associated with the 'new' design of long walkways combined with limited viewing areas...?

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

You may suggest but really no need viewing is poor for those reasons but only if Tigers sit above the walkway. Viewing is fine before and after the tunnel.

See the Tapirs everytime, they usually sitting in full view too.

19. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina New Member

I know these pictures aren't great, but can anyone identify these species for me? I believe the third is a Green Aracari, but I am not 100% sure. Philippine Spotted Deer.JPG Visayan Warty Pig.JPG Green Aracari.JPG 100_0298.JPG 100_0291.JPG

20. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

Philippine Spotted Deer, Visayan Warty Pig, Green Aracari, Yellow-faced Mynah and Spectacled Caiman. :)

bongorob and TeaLovingDave like this.