Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JoeDK14, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Talking about seeing people on TV is anyone else watching SLOTZ with dread in case they see themselves on it in the most awkward situation.

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

You mean the Spectacled bears right?

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

The sun bear birth (and death on the same day) was reported, but not by the zoo itself.

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Oh, I had no idea this had happened (or I forgot it instantly).

Incidentally, Becca, if you can quote the post you are responding to it makes things a lot easier to follow (I'm guilty of not doing this myself at times).

5. agnmeln

Apologies, I will try to remember in future.

Sometimes it feels a bit pointless when you’re posting directly underneath the post that you’re responding to. And then sometimes, in the time it has taken you to write your reply, there have been another two or three posts appear.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually I was a bit disappointed that I didn't see myself photographing new-born Indali's first appearance in the elephant paddock in December 2016 :( I must have ended up on the cutting room floor (or to be more accurate I was probably digitally wiped, which sounds even worse).

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

True but the nice thing is the person who's post you reply to gets an alert when his post is quoted. This is one of the features that I like most since moving on to the current zoochat format.

8. agnmeln

I agree, this is really helpful. I’ve been a member of other forums in the past where this wasn’t a feature.

I’m not at all technically savvy, so please bear with me!

On the subject of people being filmed for the programme and then appearing on TV, I too would absolutely hate it.

9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't know about other browsers/apps, but while typing a reply to a thread, I get an alert in Chrome to say other messages have been posted as I slowly tap away my response.

although, it didn't happen on this occasion :D

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jan 2018
  10. agnmeln

I always browse on my iPhone, either in Safari or sometimes via the Google app, so I don’t get these alerts.

11. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

No there isn't, and it's bloomin' dangerous. It's a ridiculous situation for anyone who tries to walk.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

However, as Bongorob already said, this isn't the route by which anyone (sensible) trying to walk to the zoo would take :p it is both safe and simple to walk up Flag Lane, which takes you all the way up to the southeast corner of the car park, about 100 yards from the main entrance.

This map should clarify matters:

Google Maps

13. agnmeln

When I was doing my weekly walk to the zoo, I was a volunteer and so I was able to enter via Caughall Road, which cut out a whole load of walking time.

14. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the map, never would've known that route had you not pointed it out. :rolleyes:

And while that is indeed the suggested walking route, not everyone walks from Bache. It doesn't help all those who don't know the area who follow signs designed for motorists, or those arriving from the north who don't want to walk another three quarters of a mile to get to the main entrance, a walk that would be completely unnecessary if someone added a few hundred yards of pavement.

bongorob likes this.
  15. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's just as regular, but not as frequent. ;)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  16. agnmeln

Maybe so between Monday to Saturday when there is a service every half an hour, but there is only one bus per hour on a Sunday!

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was being pedantic. If it ran once a month it would still be regular - but infrequent. Incidentally, during the peak summer it runs every 15 minutes to Chester at busy times.

(Some of us can remember when the C40 from Hunter Street was the zoo bus and ran as often as the bus filled! Every few minutes at times. It didn't help that it could only use single-deckers.)

bongorob likes this.
  18. agnmeln

I really don’t get how it can be considered to be regular when it runs to a completely different and highly inconvenient schedule on a Sunday.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Now, now :p no need for sarcasm. Some people won't have known that route; certainly it seemed that Shavington Zoo was unaware.

20. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

Apologies if this isn’t the right thread to post this on but on secret life of the zoo with the tapir move on I noticed they showed lions in between the clips do Chester have Asian lions on show still as zootierliste has them down for holding them many thanks for all your answers