Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JoeDK14, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am aware of this but so as to not confuse James I just kept it.

bongorob and Pertinax like this.
  2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You will be very lucky to see the cloud rats, wingham is the best place to see them during the day.

3. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw the Clouded Rats in the Elephant house in 2017 did upload a photograph to the gallery.

4. Charlie Simmomds

That’s a shame I’ve been hoping to see that species, they left unfortunately right before my visit last year.

TNT likes this.
  5. bongorob

I'm not saying you won't see them, you might get lucky.

6. Charlie Simmomds

Hopefully. Have the Belanger tree shrew moved also?

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

There is a cage for them next to the Rats and Squirrels, although I did not see them last Sunday

Charlie Simmomds likes this.
  8. bongorob

Tree shrews are in with the cloud rats and also in the elephant house as far as I know.

9. Charlie Simmomds

Question, I was thinking about chesters chimps and wondered if they were still able to breed, I know they’ve not had a baby for a good few years now, so I wanted to see if it could be possible to see a baby chimp any time soon seeing as the Orang’s have been so successful over recent years.

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Wasn't a female introduced last year for breeding purposes?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They stopped breeding (placed them all on contraception) after the last birth in 2009 so they could work who was hybrid and of a pure species. Once those tests were done and the results in, the studbook requested some of the pure females were moved onto other collections. Chester then received two females from Germany in 2016. One of the new German females is no longer alive but from now on they'll only be breeding from the remaining pure West African individuals

12. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are the Elephant Shrew still there? (In the okapi house)

One of the smaller enclosures was boarded up on Saturday but not sure what it had contained.

13. AdrianW1963

I visited the zoo on the 26/05/2018 arrived via train and free bus travel (X8 from Chester rail station using train ticket for free travel to zoo and back to station).

It was a warm and dry morning a change for a bank holiday in the UK was very surprised to see no one queuing to pay mind you it was only 09.50am.

Today was a day I was going to just look for bird species as I didn’t have much time for the day out, started with the tsavo walk through area great views of Red Winged Starlings, also great views of Village Weavers in and out of their nests.

A Superb Starling was sat on a post just under the hut, a Hamerhead was stood above the nest in the tree just off the path on the ground we had the Kenyan Crested Guineafowl now labelled Eastern Crested Guineafowl.

Walked past the Crane exhibits and saw the Eastern Grey Crowned Crane wonderful looking birds, onto the Wattled Cranes these were on the other side of the exhibit but still managed to get some great views.

Decided to head towards the Rhino’s for a change for some reason don’t usually take time to see these but today was a change and must admit stood watching them for around 20 minutes great animals and the mother appeared to be very caring.

Now onto the African Hunting dogs the young cubs are now growing into adult dogs and looking very well cared for mind you all the pack looked very well and active.

Had a quick look at the Rock hyrax don’t ask me why but for some reason if I don’t see these little critters then I haven’t been to Chester Today the first exhibit had 3 very active Hyrax in and the other had one lying around.

Moved from here to get a quick look at the Aardvarks in their usual day time activity sleeping up the corner, from here I got (first time) close to the Roam Antelope looking through the vegetation at the edge of the path and then saw a gap in the hedge (by the benches) so I could get even closer to one of them.

I must have been here for a good 20 minutes getting wonderful views and great photographs (usually a mile away from the other side) saw most of the group up close one of my highlights of the day.

From here I went to see the African Sitatunga these have been a favourite of mine since I first saw one at Birmingham Nature Centre at Chester you have a wonderful group looking great in the exhibit on the way to the Islands Project just off the path to the right.

Grevy’s Zebra were out in the paddock and quite mobile with what looked like the male getting very friendly with a female shall we say.

Now into Islands a place that to be honest I don’t really rate for the expensive it cost but that’s the end of the bashing for today.

Prevost Squirrels showing well in their new exhibit but didn’t see the Shrew or the Rats in their exhibit, but the exhibit does look good for them.

Moved around a short way to the Warty Pig Exhibit only one out when I arrived but have seen them all out together in the past, again no show for the Southern Cassowary but again have seen in the past.

On to the Bali Temple exhibit again not a let down with the following showing well Bali Starling, Pied Imperial Pigeon, Javan Sparrow & Yellow Backed Chattering Lory in the cage at the back. This area is well planted and as been well looked after with the plantation just about right.

From here I was hoping to see the Sumatran Tiger’s but unfortunately, they weren’t around when I got to the exhibit, mind you they could have been lying in the long grass (as they would hide in the wild).

From here I went straight to the walk through just around the corner here I had some great views of Chestnut Breasted Thrush, Grey Capped Emerald Dove (last year labelled Emerald Dove), Salvadori’s Pheasant, Bronze Tailed Peacock Pheasant and of course after waiting for nearly 45 minutes great views of the Javan Green Magpie will be spending more time here on my return in October.

From here on to the Sun Bears and well all I can say is Great views and very mobile in both enclosures both bears were up close to the viewing glass (could do with a clean),

From here I went to the Monsoon Forest walk through this I think will replace the Tropical Realm for bird species over the next couple of years if they thin out the vegetation in the main area.

Didn’t really spend much time looking at the side exhibits as have spent much time in the past looking at these although they are very well displayed with plenty of room for the species held within them.

Birds seen in the Monsson Forest area were Grosbeak Starling, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, White Naped Pheasant Pigeon, Grey Naped Emerald Dove, Asian Fairy Bluebird, Cinnamon Ground Dove (Goldenheart Dove) & White Rumped Shama.

After leaving here did see the Black Crested Macaques and the Northern Babirusa on my way out of the new Islands area.

After this I made a deliberate move to the Pied Tamarin as in the past I have never got to view of this till today 2 feeding well and sitting eating in an area clear for people to be able to see them in full managed to get a few great photographs so was happy (unfortunately this is another display that could do with the window being cleaned).

From here I moved towards the Spectacled Bear in the hope of a glimpse as it was earlyish in the day if they weren’t out I could sit and have something to eat but unfortunately the bench was full and great news both the Bears were out and the young one giving great views mom was a little further back in the enclosure but was still in view.

Also saw the Lowland Tapir and the Capybara but no Anteater today after this I decided to miss the Bat Walk through (for the first time) as it appeared to be rather full of visitors (the only indoor exhibit today to be full).

Over the bridge did see a Lowland Anoa looked like a male in the old Philippine Spotted Deer enclosure but didn’t see any Deer in the other side as this exhibit appeared to be empty.

From here made a move towards the Owl Exhibits and did manage to see the Great Grey Owl, Spectacled Owl, Brown Wood Owl and Ural Owl but no Luzon Scops Owl, I hope this winter they decide to thin out all the aviaries vegetation as they all seem rather full of good growth on all the plants inside the aviaries.

Also, while around here I thought I would take a chance and see if I could get a glimpse of the Pallas Cat and to my enjoyment got great views so while on a high I thought let’s hit the Parrot Breeding Display and guess what I got brilliant views of the Green Cardinal.

From here I made my way towards the Tropical Realm passing the Persian Onger’s and Bactrain Camel both giving great views some great photograph opportunities with the sun in the right place first time for a few visits that is.

Had a quick glimpse into the New Europe on the Edge display and was greatly impressed with the European Black Vultures, also giving good views here were Azure Winged Magpie, Red Breasted Goose, Marbled Teal, Ferruginous Duck, Black Stork and Waldrapp (Northern Bald Ibis) many people thinking the Waldrapp were Vultures.

From here to the Giraffe House all the Rothchild’s Giraffe were out in the small paddock giving great views but unfortunately the Okapi house was open but had NO Okapi inside one was outside must admit it was close to the path and I didn’t really appreciate the actual size of the animal but now have a different respect for them unfortunately the exhibits on the side had just 2 on display with 4 boarded up the displays were Short Eared Sengi.

From here to the Tropical Realm and my Favourite Place at the zoo (if rumours are correct soon to be demolished sadly) here you have a mix of Reptiles. Birds and Amphibians which to be honest all work to make a great exhibit species seen within here today (didn’t do the displays in the corner) Cook Strait Tuatara, Moellendorff’s Rat Snake, Radiated Tortoise, Green and Black Poison Dart Frog, Spectacled Caiman, Visayan Tarictic Hornbill, Sunda Wrinkled Hornbill. Great (Indian) Hornbill, Javan Rhinoceros Hornbill, Grey Napped Emerald Dove, Asian Glossy Starling, Emerald Starling, Peking Robin, Roul-Roul. Nicobar Pigeon, Java Sparrow, White Crested Turaco, White Crowned Robin Chat, Congo Peafowl, Yellow Faced Mynah, Mindanao Bleeding Heart Dove, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, White Naped Pheasant Pigeon, Luzon Bleeding Heart Dove, Green Aracari, White Winged Duck and Collared Trogon probably missed a couple off this list.

From here towards the aviaries by the Orangutans but on the way round did manage to see the Inca Jay, Blue Throated Macaw and Red Billed Curassow these are in the small display’s which you only get to see these through the windows but still a great set of species.

Now onto the Newish Aviaries again unfortunately these are now slightly over grown but did manage to see a few of the species here they included Blue Crowned Laughing Thrush, Great Argus Pheasant (the male is here due to the fact he doesn’t get on with the chicks in the main display in Dragon’s in Danger) Grey Winged Blackbird and Asian Fairy Bluebird.

From here just a quick walk around did visit the Realm of the red Ape where we have the great Blue Crowned Hanging Parrot and a few of the other species already mentioned but know we move onto the Dragon’s in Danger Display in here you have a beautiful specimen of the great Komodo Dragon along with the following displays Black Pond Turtle, Indochinese Box Turtle, Philippine Mouse Deer, Great Argus Pheasant, Montserrat Oriole, Visayan Tarictic Hornbill and Sumatran Laughing Thrush

Please note these are the species I saw it doesn’t mean species not named are no longer at the collection they could easily have been in the back or just out of sight

Didn’t visit the following areas they were Elephant house, Aquarium, Wetland Display, Monkey House and Jaguar House will be visiting again in October or maybe before if I get the chance.

A great day out and some great banter with keepers (that’s for another day).

robking1991 and Brum like this.
  14. Charlie Simmomds

I do hope you upload some of your images, it sounds as if you had a lovely visit.

15. AdrianW1963

Will be uploading from Wednesday.

16. EquusGrevyi

EquusGrevyi Member

Sounds like a really good visit with lots of active animals! Also haven't heard anything myself about Tropical Realm to be demolished, are its inhabitants to be relocated elsewhere in the zoo or is there other plans in place?

17. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Hamerkop.
    Has been on the cards for a while. Much of East Zoo is due to be demolished.

18. Charlie Simmomds

Which is a shame, I hope they will keep some relics of the past, or at least pay homage to some of the zoos staple buildings and enclosures which we have known for years. I’d of hoped that may have happened with Europe on the edge, but I don’t think any of the old bear dens were salvaged.

19. AdrianW1963

sorry should use the correct name and should know better.

20. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Oakfield and the stable block are safe, but nothing else is. The polar bear dens have all gone (they were in the wall adjacent to the tigers), but there's a small part of the original enclosure wall remaining in the corner by the penguins.