Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Headline News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pretty sure Chester do have an on sight lab.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I think you'll find it will be behind-the-scenes and not visible :p

ShonenJake13, Brum, Jambo and 4 others like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was just looking up some info on EEHV and learnt there are four strains that are found in Asian elephants: EEHV1A, EEHV1B, EEHV4, and EEHV5.

According to this journal article: Asian Elephant T Cell Responses to Elephant Endotheliotropic Herpesvirus

“The two chimeric variants of EEHV1, EEHV1A and EEHV1B, cause the majority of lethal disease, in both captive and wild elephants.”

It’d be interesting to know, whether it was the same type of EEHV that killed the many calves that have died at Chester Zoo, or if there were any identifiable trends i.e. all the calves born to one bull died of EEHV1; while the others died of EEHV1B etc.

The article goes on to state:

The best line of defense would be a preventative vaccine. We interrogated normal healthy elephants previously infected with EEHV for T cell responses to nine EEHV proteins predicted to induce cellular immune responses. Three proteins elicited IFN-γ responses, suggesting their potential usefulness as vaccine candidates.

While the aim of this article was to explore the potential of creating a vaccine against EEHV (an exciting concept indeed); it gave me hope, that if Indali survives this, she will have at least some immunity to the virus and therefore stand a greater chance of surviving to adulthood.

AmbikaFan, StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  4. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Update: 28/03/19
    It has been nine days since our veterinary team first made an early detection of EEHV in Indali Hi Way’s blood tests. Experts continue to provide daily intensive care for the two-year-old calf.

The latest blood sample results give some cause to be cautiously optimistic as detailed analysis, carried out by world EEHV expert Akbar Dastjerdi of the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), shows that the levels of the virus in her bloodstream have dropped in recent days, which may be good news. During the onset of EEHV elephant calves become seriously dehydrated, however, Indali is keeping well hydrated, still eating and drinking regularly as well as spending time with her mum, Sundara.

Indali’s disease continues to be life-threatening though, and the teams are still regularly treating Indali with immune boosting drugs, anti-viral drugs, blood plasma and fluid therapy. EEHV is an incredibly fast-acting and destructive virus which normally takes hold of a young elephant calf within days. The fact that Indali has been fighting the virus for nine days is providing hope that the new detection methods and treatments available are giving much better chances of helping Indali pull through. This is currently unchartered territory as we have never treated an elephant calf for this length of time before, and experts remain optimistic that Indali can fight off the virus.

The Hi Way family herd remain inside the zoo’s Elephants of the Asian Forest habitat – which is closed to public during this time - to ensure Indali is as comfortable as possible whilst undergoing treatment.

Chester Zoo | Zoo News | Indali EEHV Statement

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Encouraging, but fingers still tightly crossed.

6. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

Fingers, toes, eyes....

Samanthakmot likes this.
  7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

bongorob and pipaluk like this.
  9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So they do have crowned lemur after all.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe I've lost track but I thought it was Crowned Sifaka they were meant to be getting - this is the first I've heard of any Crowned Lemurs at Chester.

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

you are correct, but crowned lemurs arrived first.

12. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is a statement on Chester zoo website regarding Indali I just can't seem to upload it onto here off my phone. If someone else can upload it for me I'd be grateful.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Embu

Thanks Nisha

15. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even if Indali doesn't make it, the progress that has been made here represents a really massive step forward in the fight against the EEHV crisis.

Braez, Jaxton, Jambo and 5 others like this.
  16. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised that the forum regulars haven't been more vocal about this news, as although Indali is not in the clear yet and this is uncharted water, the indication that the onset of EEHV and its previously inevitable conclusion has apparently been halted, is really important.

Currently we can only imagine the level of commitment required from all concerned and the potential costs involved, some of which may be impractical or impossible in other places, but it's a start, and an incredibly significant one at that.

I think that while we're still keeping fingers and toes crossed, we should also give the zoo the credit it deserves.

17. Embu

Believe me I learnt not to get my hopes up after Nandita`s death however I agree that Chester have made significant progress so far with Indali and the fight against EEHV. I also like how open Chester are on their website regarding Indali keeping everyone updated. Think all those involved deserve a medal for all their time,effort and continuous hard work.

18. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please don`t get too optimistic. Indali is not the first survivor of EEHV; actually, a number of calves in serveral zoos (Houston, Kolmarden, Zurich, Whipsnade, St. Louis for example) have sucessfully battled the virus before. Yet many others have died. If this is really a breakthrough remains to be seen. When a calf survives after becoming sick with EEHV, you never know if it is because the treatment was effective and started early enough, or if the calf just wasn`t that sick and would have survived anyway. Remember that pretty much all elephants are infected with EEHV but can fend off the virus without getting seriously ill.

However, this is a fantastic sucess for the Chester elephant herd because it means that Indali now has very good chances to reach adulthood after so many losses.

Jambo, ShonenJake13, Nisha and 2 others like this.
  19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Oh its huge but I am not counting my chickens before they hatch and think that is the same with everyone else.

I have been quietly telling anyone with a mild interest this is potentially huge news but long way yet to be celebrating. We all know Chester is fantastic with their work but still long way to go before I think we can be jumping up and day.

Maisie and pipaluk like this.
  20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Oh I think anyone with more than a passing interest knows this, also as you point out this maybe a one off. Time will tell.

Think that is why there is a musted reponse on the topic.

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.