Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo in 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 2 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member

I was given an IOU for train tickets to Chester and entry to the zoo for Christmas - I've only been twice before so am pretty excited!

I was wondering, what do my fellow zoochatters consider the best time of year to go and is there anything coming this year that is worth holding out for?

2. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member

Well, I'd go for warm weather and long days (there's a lot to see!).

Not sure if there are any high-profile births expected (rhino, elephant, okapi?) - the zoo usually stays tight-lipped!

Avoid bank holidays! (I once went on Good Friday - getting out of the car park was ... protracted)

Late May to mid July usually sees lots (and I mean lots!) of school parties.

Enjoy!

3. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Any idea why islands is closing for 2 weeks, are the orangs moving?

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It is being closed so that the zoo can sort out a few cliches they have found round the whole site,and they decided it is easier to do without visitors about,so they can all be done in one go!!!

Thats not to say that the Orangs might be moved at the same time,but they don't have to move them if they are not ready to do so!

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it's glitches they have found round the site :) though there are probably a few clichés in the interpretative material...

6. zoogiraffe

It is indeed glitches

7. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Don't even think of going there until the days are longer. A serious UK enthusiast who doesn't know Chester that well should allow at least a day.

8. zoogiraffe

Even some of us that know it well are now starting to find that a day isn't nearly enough in the shorter days to get round!!

9. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Going to chester tomorrow, presuming the moloch gibbons arn't really visible as of yet (otherwise chester would have surely announced their' arrival) just wondreed what are my chances of spotting them???

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

I would say you stand a very good chance.

look in the first orang utan enclosure on the right in monsoon forest house. Goto the first window, the one by the fish tank. There is a holding cage at the back on the right. The gibbons were visible on New Years Day.

They are labelled.

11. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Just got back, gibbons very visible in the outside enclosure and the inside of monsoon forrest! Spoke to the keeper and she said they've come from Howletts.

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which outside enclosure?

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Another year, another thread :) I have moved pertinent posts from the previous thread into this one.

14. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

The outdoor enclosure on the right hand side as you pass the tigers - approaching monsoon forrest (with the big oak tree) :)

15. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

16. free333uk

free333uk New Member

hi i would say go any time i like it when ever i go i did go 3 times a year but times are getting hard so my be 1 a year now but i make sure i go all day so i make it in the summer when its 10am till 6:30pm then it gives me longer to look at them more wish i could get a job there tigers are the best for me have a good one

17. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member

What was the visitors total for 2015 ?

As "the islands" is a part of 2020 natural vision. Does anyone know what's next ?

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

Islands was not a part of the original Natural Vision masterplan, that area of the zoo was going to be part of the African savannah.
    My hope is that in the next couple of years the zoo's main projects will be completing Islands and renovating the exhibits that have been vacated by the animals moving into Islands. That means building the tapir exhibit, hornbill aviary and the Komodo dragon house in Islands (which would give opportunities to keep some smaller species too) - if they follow the original plan.
    The work preparing the aye-aye accommodation beside the Tropical Realm has started. There will be opportunities to work on the old banteng paddock, the anoa island and the cassowary paddocks, which have temporary occupants at the moment and, when the Sumatran orangs have moved, on RotRA. If the tapirs move eventually, the house they share with the Congo buffalo might be a candidate for redevelopment as it is one of the zoo's oldest buildings - originally the Zebra House.

Alan

19. kiang

Visitor numbers finished off at 1.69 million visitors, a new record for the zoo.

20. kiang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.