Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo in 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 2 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

At the risk of appearing partisan, I'm completely the other way around on this!

I find London's butterfly house a nightmare - one of my absolute least favourites - too cramped, too claustrophobic and too busy. I eventually managed to get to the puparium on my last visit but it took some effort (the previous two visits I don't think I even bothered to go in, which is unlike me!). Chester's allows much better flow through the building with its multiple paths, and although the species line-up varies they have some real crackers in there from time to time (I really miss http://www.zoochat.com/42/golden-birdwing-chester-19-02-12-a-259672/ and http://www.zoochat.com/42/common-green-birdwing-258607/ !). I also prefer the more solid structure rather than the polytunnel. There are normally volunteers in Chester's as well - possibly not midweek?

In fairness to ZSL, Whipsnade's butterfly exhibit I like much more, for similar reasons - light and space to move!

I actually think London does pretty well these days in adapting to its site (though I haven't seen the lions yet). Chester has always had the luxury of land since its early days, and of course still has more land it can expand onto if it wants to.

Glad you saw the Tuatara - they can be a bit hit-and-miss.

I think the thing with the boats is that most people go on them, but once - so a busy day they're packed, a quiet day they're, as you say, a bit forlorn - the old Waterbus of course just wouldn't set off if there were no passengers!

I personally think the Twilight Zone/Fruit Bat Forest, while it has had a few tweaks and amendments over the years, is the most successful exhibit Chester have ever built - from memory it's 18 years old now (anyone feeling old?) and still one of the best things there.

2. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

I'm quite glad no one mentioned the fruit bat forest to me because it was a wonderful surprise – even when I'd gone through the flaps I had no idea there would be bats all around. I didn't realise it was possible to mix humans and big bats in one space!

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Chester. It's interesting to read how different people can have such different opinions. The Bat Cave (aka Fruit Bat Forest) is my least favourite exhibit at Chester and it's been a couple of years since I went into the Butterfly House.
    In some ways you were lucky to see the zoo on a quiet grey day. I doubt if there will have been many empty boats going round the Lazy River this weekend. And I'm not surprised that you want to return to see more. I am still wondering how Pertinax went round twice in a day: perhaps he has been training by running marathons :)

Alan

PS: if Pertinax did run a marathon, would he wear a gorilla suit? :D

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Bat Cave would probably have been my least favourite exhibit also- except I didn't go in it- well, I had to cut a few things out.;)

As far as going around twice- I do walk quite fast and it'll be a while until my next visit, so needed to see as much as possible. Only stopped for coffee twice in the morning and then to eat a sandwich during the Otter talk. But I sort of hobbled back to the entrance at the end.

And no I wouldn't wear a Gorilla suit- too hot and they don't do justice to Gorillas...:)

5. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Must admit I love the Bat Walk through and I used to love to visit on a damp grey day as you get more time to see the species at the collection as their always seem to be far fewer visitors (as at most collections I should imagine).

Will be visiting in June just wondered if there are any new bird species at the zoo.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.