Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is the Chester Zoo thread for news, both minor and major. If you have any questions please direct them to the Discussion thread.

2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today 14/01/2020 what a wet day had the zoo to myself except for a few others and 3 groups of school children getting soaked like me.

Tropical Realm closed today due to routine checks according to the notice outside.

Anyone know what they are going to do with the old lion enclosure (was told today but want to see if it's common knowledge first)
    Komodo Dragon still being treated by vet
    Male Sun Bear still isolated from Female and cub.

3. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was told that the old Lion enclosure will be knocked down and turned into a picnic area. I think some or all of the trees will stay.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well if you told anything that includes animals it's not true as they are slowly moving all animals, out of the area near the oakfield so it can be opened in the evening without any animals been put at risk.

Jennings and AdrianW1963 like this.
  5. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also noticed today that some of the smaller exhibits in Realm of the Red Ape were empty but still had the signs for the previous species by them.
    Was told it was going to be a restaurant and small playing area.
    Both Jaguars were very mobile in the rain in the outside area today.
    Also 2 of the Cheatah's were very mobile again in the rain.
    Hardly any of the mammals were out (who can blame them)
    Not many birds on show except for the wild ones here follows a list of what we saw today -
    Robin, Blackbird, Starling, Dunnock, Jackdaw, Magpie, Carrion crow, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull, Herring gull, Green woodpecker, Lesser spotted woodpecker, Song thrush, Fieldfare, Redwing, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Wood pigeon, Stock dove, Feral pigeon, Grey wagtail, Pied wagtail, Long tailed tit, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard & Kestrel

6. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The other day I was told - and how much of this is policy and how is staffroom gossip I don't know - that the former Lion enclosure is to become an open air dining/play area, the old stable block is to become a retail facility, and the 1970s shop/cafe adjacent to Dragons is to be demolished.

I was also told that when the Coquerel's Sifakas arrive, the Black Lemurs will be moved to another enclosure elsewhere in the zoo.

Again, all this could be a case of Chinese whispers.

7. zoogiraffe

All of it but don't expect to see the sifaka until the monorail has gone.

Kifaru Bwana, Brum and Jennings like this.
  8. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All of it true, or all of it gossip?

9. zoogiraffe

All true, just as grasslands is a restaurant and a giraffe paddock and not much else. Not that people believe that

10. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How is the monorail demolition going by the way? I've not heard much said about it, perhaps understandably. Removing all of the track must be a big job!

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  12. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sadly yes, demolition is planned for the iconic Fountain Restaurant, another bit of Chester Zoo history to bite the dust. Built 1959 into 1960, this remains a fabulous example of British 1950s Post-war end of austerity modern architecture. As you'd expect for Chester Zoo at this time, it was made from whatever Mr Mottershead could lay his hands on. It was designed and built to accommodate a large number of armour plate windows acquired for free from Nearby Pilkington Glass due to a measuring error on their part, they formed part of a cancelled order. So the Fountain restaurant was built around the window sizes rather than as is normal, the other way round. This really is a very sturdy building, the balcony for example is made from war-time concrete road setts, from the same batch as used for the Polar Bear walkway.
    When it opened, downstairs was a cafeteria, whilst upstairs was a fully licensed restaurant, complete with outdoor balcony overlooking the gardens. This building closed to the public in 1982 when the Gazelle > Jubilee > Junes Pavilion opened. At that time the upstairs became the staff canteen, smoking in the room nearest the bird house > Islands in danger. Non smoking nearest to the tigers. Downstairs lay empty and semi-derelict until converted into a souvenir shop in 1984. Plans are for this building to be demolished and replaced with a new build catering facility in a pseudo Madagascan-style.
    The stable block is to be renovated to it's former glory, to include classroom and conference facilities and, I understand a mini-museum celebrating the history of the zoo. All the mature trees are to be retained, if you look closely you'll see that they're actually planted in two parallel lines and once formed a tree lined avenue between Oakfield and it's stable block. This will be reinstated as the approach to the new conference centre.

NigeW, sooty mangabey, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This happened almost a year ago and has been discussed on Zoochat a few times since :p also, your link is broken.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whoops. :oops::p I’m not sure why the link broke though....it was working when I posted my earlier post.

Here’s the link to that FB post: (this ones working for me)

Security Check

The post was posted on Jan 10, and says ‘Say hello to our new arrival, Kayjo’ - with a photo of him below.

It doesn’t make sense to me why he would be called a new arrival, if he arrived a year ago!:eek:

Last edited: 26 Jan 2020
    StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yeah, it's a reflection of how slow the PR department has been to mention him rather than any error by yourself :p even in terms of how long he has been physically on-display, I saw him onshow at Chester nearly two months ago.

Jambo likes this.
  16. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Because, it got you talking and posting - worked too, didn't it? ;)

BeakerUK likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bearded pygmy chameleons have hatched at Chester Zoo:

'Fingertip-sized' pygmy chameleons hatch at zoo

Three "fingertip-sized" Bearded pygmy chameleons have hatched at Chester Zoo.

The Bearded pygmy chameleons, born after a 70-day incubation period, are being cared for in a special, behind-the-scenes rearing facility at the zoo.

Update on Asian small-clawed otter pups:

Five Baby Otters Get Their Tiny Toes Wet, Enjoy First Swimming Lesson at Chester Zoo

The litter born to Wallace and Annie in November 2019 have been sexed as 2.3.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2020
    StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  18. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A couple of observations today: a Brazilian Tapir has been born, and male giraffes Sanyu and Murchison are no longer at the zoo.

Jambo likes this.
  19. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have they definitely left or were they just not on show? Just wondering if they may have been moved to the new off-show area ahead of the Grasslands development. Its pretty hard to hide a giraffe admittedly but they do seem to have some off-show paddocks!

Jambo likes this.
  20. zoogiraffe

They have left and are not been hidden in the off show zoo. Which despite having paddocks in it has none suitable for housing giraffe.