Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're right of course. My post was based on the fact that theming just isn't something that attracts me to a zoo, bigger and better enclosures do, but I forget that I'm part of a tiny minority in that regard when compared to the general public.

Maguari likes this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I think it's safe to say we're all tiny minorities round 'ere. :D

3. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

I agree on some level that some of the enclosures are basic and not that outstanding but compared to previous paddock designs across the UK and Europe its definitely modern. A perfect example is the Banteng enclosure and the Sumatran Orangutan enclosure. They are spacious well vegetated and possess enough privacy from the public. However I still think DA should be cooperating with Chester and others sites not calling them out

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The worst part of Damian's IG post is all the replies of people just believing any of the trash he says.

Jambo, TNT, Zorro and 5 others like this.
  5. Willem gorman

Willem gorman Active Member

I now fear chester zoo will close because of the second lockdown. WE MUST DONATE

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, if we have the means and the inclination, we may well do so.

Brum likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I deem it unprofessional and well certainly undeservedly so in the case of Chester Zoo. It seems DA has now an axe to grind there.

TBH some of the accommodation at Howletts or Port Lympne was always very basic and spartan to begin with (and that has not changed too much over the last decade). I really do think and feel that DA needs to reflect very seriously on the long term future and status of both zoos he owns in terms of (better) animal management, husbandry and accommodation (the PL gorilla "cages" are esp. a sore sight ..., never mind their excellent management of the gorilla breeding over the years).

TNT, bintarong, Antoine and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Slightly off-topic: I will try and engage with him on the "other" thread shortly. I have a nice introduction now, so ... will make a good entrance.

On-topic: I am extremely perturbed at the - not unexpected - 2nd lockdown and the over riding (and probably driven at / hoped for by Westminster) inaction on this ill fated Zoo Bill. Already, some smaller zoo collections have ground to a halt and went into receivership and if this continues without any significant active direct financial support from Government this whole CoVid charade of a policy will do the zoo industry in for good. What are the options now for zoos like Chester, ZSL, Twycross, Paignton et cetera et cetera?

JT likes this.
  9. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

I just read on their website that Chester zoo will close from Wednesday 4 November until Wednesday 2 December...

A message to our visitors | Chester Zoo

10. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Due to cases of bird flu in Cheshire, all walk through bird enclosures including Monsoon Forest and the tropical realm are closed.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the whole this a quiet time of year for zoos, and provided that this lockdown does end in early December it should not be as damaging as the previous one. Of course some zoos are already in a precarious situation and this could push them over the edge - or perhaps they will become eligible for help from the government, if the previous scheme is renewed. On the other hand if the lockdown is extended closer to Xmas or if it is relaxed for some activities, but not for zoos, there will be a much bigger losses for the collections that have already invested in special seasonal events, like the Lanterns at Chester.
    Ideally we would all like to see a better compensation scheme for zoos this time, and we should press for that of course. But I am afraid that those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to make donations, must be prepared to do so again.

Jambo, pipaluk, Fallax and 3 others like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

The zoo is closed up anyway.

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Only from 4pm today until early december.

I wont be visiting again this year it looks like.

14. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has announced a virtual zoo tour at 2:30 on Friday, including a big baby reveal.

Embu and Antoine like this.
  15. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How exciting, what's everyone's guess???

16. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

With Chester Zoo stating that the baby is big my guess would be that the baby revel will be a Orangutan,Rhino,Jaguar,Cheetah,Lion or Giraffe. If Thai Hi-Way the Matrach of the Hi-Way family of of Asian Elephants had not passed away I would have said that an Elephant calf was pending \had been born. The baby reveal cannot be an Asian Elephant however as the only adult Elephant Sundara Hi-Way gave birth to Riva Hi-Way earlier this year and Elephant Cowes have at least a 22 month gap between giving birth.

Jambo and IndianRhino like this.
  17. Samanthakmot

Samanthakmot Member 5+ year member

I think you're probably right with what would count as a big birth announcement. Not an elephant, they've recently(ish) announced chimp and orang infants and bided their time over them so I don't know about them. Jaguar would be very unlikely - isn't Napo pretty much sterile? I think cheetah and lions would be unlikely too. I suspect you're right with either a rhino calf or a giraffe, maybe? Would fit with the 'big' surprise.

I would be happy to see either of those - or something totally different! It would be very exciting to have something I never even thought of. Whatever it is, I am glad that they can head towards the end of the year on a positive note.

18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Black rhino hopefully and by process of elimination. Elephant and Andean bears have not long produced.

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cheetahs are past breeding age.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My guess is that the name of the baby Bornean orang will be announced.