Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Birth of Dwarf Mongoose Triplets:

Itty-Bitty Dwarf Mongoose Triplets Greet the World with "Tiny Squeaks' at Chester Zoo

This the second litter for mom Hope and dad Cooper. Keepers believe the babies were born around February 16, but the zoo isn't sure of the exact date since the animals were born underground in a burrow.

Along with their parents, the little ones have also started spending time with the five other mongeese that live in their exhibit.

2. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some non Covid related news, had to go to page 3 to find this thread, that's a first.

2 Andean bear cubs have been born and are out exploring there new home.

The zoo has amazing timings with births, just in time for school holidays or reopening

Samanthakmot, PAT, Jambo and 13 others like this.
  3. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Worth mentioning that the cubs are in the back enclosure and only out for a couple of hours a day, so they won't be the easiest to see.

On the subject of tickets for members, the booking system is going to change and there won't be a login requirement, just membership numbers will be needed. Additional places for members throughout July appear to have been released this morning.

Fallax, jde7582 and Maguari like this.
  5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's absolutely wonderful news! After a rough day yesterday that's just what I needed. They are beautiful!

TriUK and jde7582 like this.
  6. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great news all around!

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is interesting news, they seemed to keep this birth pretty quiet if its only been released now, but probably understandable in light of recent events. Still I'm rather surprised it wasn't either announced, or leaked out, before the lockdown though.

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The previous birth wasn't announced for months either, so it's not a new strategy. Announcing it now also puts the zoo back in the headlines, which is good PR.

Pertinax likes this.
  9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Chester have just emailed their mailing list to say that they are starting to reopen indoor areas from this weekend.

From Saturday the following will be open:

- Tropical Realm
    - Realm of the Red Ape
    - Spirit of the Jaguar
    - Monkey Islands

They are also opening June's Food Court for takeaway, and the Oakfield, as well as the main gift shop. Slowly but surely..!

Brum, Antoine, Samanthakmot and 6 others like this.
  10. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

This is not the best place for a display of gratitude, but I'd like to mention all the senior keepers and ground staff who will be leaving the zoo today, some of whom I have known for more years than I care to mention.

Not only should they be thanked for their tireless work for the zoo, some since the 1970s, but also for the hours they gave to visitors such as myself, patiently answering questions and spreading their enthusiasm for the animals in their care and the collection itself.

The zoo has seen many different styles of management in its history and its focus has certainly changed in recent years, but hopefully they'll all look back at their time with fondness and enjoy whatever the future holds.

banham.tiger, Nisha, Antoine and 9 others like this.
  11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Music to my ears! :D

Maguari likes this.
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why are these people leaving en masse today? Presumably Coronavirus shutdown-related but why senior staff?

13. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume they took the voluntary redundancy scheme, perhaps some were nearing retirement age and opted to bow out early to save the jobs of others?

SMR your post did tug on my heartstrings - what a sad day and I think its lovely you have acknowledged these people on the forum. I'm not fortunate enough to know anyone at Chester but the enthusiasm of the keepers I have seen on television has always impressed me, and I almost feel like I know some of the regular 'stars' of Secret Life of the Zoo in a strange way. I hope not too many of the animal care team have had to leave, and certainly hope that there won't have to be any more jobs lost.

Nisha, Antoine, Samanthakmot and 4 others like this.
  14. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Maybe it has already been published, but never mind. :D

Reopening of the monsoon forest this autumn.

The zoo continues to build the large, wet Latin American aviary for flamingos and other South American birds.
    The aviary will be a step by step aviary.
    The work has progressed well and they hope to be able to welcome the birds this summer for an opening in late summer 2021 !

The large plains project has logically been delayed and the director estimates that there could be a delay of at least two years.

Some additional info at this link :
    Chester Zoo reveal when new animal habitats will open

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the large safari development was already dead in the water before the Corona measures shut down the zoo community. Thanks to CEO the situation is now clarified and a realistic timeline has been set.

Valentin likes this.
  16. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Anyone have more info on this future aviary (sizes, species, etc ...)?

17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It's basically a remodelling of the existing flamingo enclosure next to the penguin pool to convert it to a walk-through aviary - the species mentioned so far are Caribbean Flamingo, Scarlet Ibis and Roseate Spoonbill. :)

FBBird likes this.
  18. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The world's best zoo vloggers are back with their first visit to Chester zoo since re-opening;

The planting around the zoo looks superb. The new lion enclosure also looks a lot better now that the foliage has started to come through and what they've done with the space where the old lion enclosure used to be looks really good too.

Does anyone know what the new exhibit next to the sand lizards will be for? Adders maybe?

19. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today and noticed a few things, unsure if they have been reported on in the past so this is new to me at least. If I'm reporting something that already has been previously I apologise in advance.

• The area containing the round enclosure, former pademelon/anteater enclosure, and former cheetah/cassowary enclosure is now completely fenced off.
    • The former bush dog enclosure is now occupied by cheetahs.
    • There are tinamous in the blue-throated macaw enclosure now alongside them.
    • The hyacinth macaws have been replaced by great green macaws.
    • Miniature Monkeys is off-limits currently excluding the indoor enclosure for pied tamarins.
    • The top-level of the Tropical Realm is off-limits as well as the aye-ayes. There is one-way system in and out managed by staff. Queues were very small to get in though I can not say the same for Spirit of the Jaguar, Realm of the Red Ape, and the Monkey house.
    • Progress on the new flamingo aviary is going well, walls are completely up.
    • Might be obvious but all walkthroughs are closed excluding the Tropical Realm.
    Overall I think the zoo has done a good job with the restrictions in place, I only saw a few people not following them. If you are a member I recommend skipping the indoor sections that are currently open for now unless you are lucky enough for the queue to be small. Realm of the Red Ape queue honestly looked like one you'd see at a theme park. Great day all around, the highlight was definitely hearing a lar gibbon on the top of a pole making a lot of noise and was grabbing everyone's attention.

Samanthakmot, Nisha, Antoine and 4 others like this.
  20. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

how old is the youngest black lemur? I can't remember seeing 3 on my last visit, let alone 4.