Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 1 Jan 2022.

1. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have just seen this recent news story, although I am not certain whether it has been mentioned before. It concerns the arrival of a new ploughshare tortoise (thought to be female) to Chester Zoo that was confiscated from wildlife smugglers in Hong Kong in 2019. This tortoise is missing its front left leg - rollers have been attached under its plastron to help assist in balance and walking.

The tortoise was one of 57 that ended up in the care of the Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden Wild Animal Rescue Centre.

More information can be found in the link below:
    Extremely rare tortoise rescued from smugglers rehomed in the UK

Smaggledagle likes this.
  2. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

On the topic of potential gorillas, I wouldn't mind seeing them at Chester. It's a big ticket zoo animal that's bound to draw in crowds, not to mention it's a critically endangered species and Chester could get conservation brownie points for breeding them, so I'd say it's a good idea.

I was planning a visit to Chester on my next week off work in March, but I had a look into it and the Tropical Realm, Monsoon Forest and all of the aviaries are currently closed due to bird flu, so I may hold off on going until they've all re-opened.

3. Prochilodus246

Prochilodus246 Well-Known Member

It's interesting how Chester goes full lockdown on aviaries whereas places like Martin mere use disinfectant mats at the entrance and before entering aviaries (this may have changed, I visited last in 2018, and need to re-visit!)

felis silvestris likes this.
  4. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I've been looking into a few different zoos, and the general consensus seems to be close any walkthroughs with birds in them, and put down disinfectant mats in areas that have birds but for one reason or another can't be fully closed.

hari Jones likes this.
  5. hari Jones

hari Jones Well-Known Member

First babies of the year not one but two mandrills have been born the first of their kind in 10 years also the first babies sired by kamau since his arrival from Austria in 2018

6. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

Kirana the sumatran tiger has been retired / relocated to the Big cat sanctuary

Smaggledagle and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. hari Jones

Sad news she was such a stunning animal but it was for the best she was getting on in years and couldn't have more cubs but hopefully they'll bring in a new male for kasarna so hopefully we can have more cubs in the future

8. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

Is it just the one tiger remaining (chester zoo is one of those i don’t follow all that closely admittedly ) ?

camlidlover likes this.
  9. hari Jones

Yes her daughter kasarna who turned 7 last month is still their so hopefully they'll breed from her and she be just as good as mothering as kirana

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unsure if she will be made to breed considering that her mother's bloodline is widespread but I'm unsure why Kirana was moved if this isn't the case. I would love to see tiger cubs at Chester again... Though I would appreciate seeing tigers at Chester again in general, they are no-shows on most of my visits! :p

NigeW likes this.
  11. hari Jones

I mean I went late November in the snow and they were being very active the most active I've seen them in a long time and I think the main reason kirana moved was similar to that of Sofia the jaguar that used to inhabit the savannah side of the jaguar House where the Bush dogs are now because Sofia moved in 2016 to the big cat sanctuary and she was 15 at the time and kirana was also 15 when she moved to the big cat sanctuary so most likely 15 is the retirement age for a large cat

12. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Where would they keep a new male though as chester only really have the one enclosure?

13. hari Jones

Most likely rotate them in the paddock and keep them in separate pens where they can still see each other in the house until the keepers decide when it's the right time to mix them both outside that's what other collections have done anyway or once kyra the sun bear cub has moved to another collection has at the moment she is in Sofia the jaguars old outside enclosure they could move a new male tiger into there because that's what they did with kiranas previous litter of cubs before she had the triplets

JT likes this.
  14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is an offshow tiger enclosure behind the viewable one.

Jambo, Fallax, hari Jones and 2 others like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can confirm that the tiger enclosure has an on-show and an off-show exhibit. The Islands exhibits were thoroughly planned and included much needed accomodation extension for a breeding pair.

PS: I was somewhat puzzled at the remarks re having the tigers go to the Jaguar House (and that this is what happened to the litter before last that Kirana had. Perhaps so, but ...

16. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe Kasarna will be moved outside of Europe considering her bloodlines are well represented? Personally I think this would be the best option but we'll wait and see.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More fitting for a general thread on GSMP tigers and Sumatran tiger: It would be best if the entire GSMP goes into faster gear to distribute tiger genetics around the entire global ex situ population. The Indonesian PKSBI does yet contain a good number of wild caught individuals as well as F1 / F2 that would infuse new blood into the captive populations overseas.

NOTA BENE: Once more worthy of its own thread.

Falconhoof likes this.
  18. hari Jones

Just been going through ZTL and it says chester has 1.0 secretary bird possibly offshow can anyone else confirm this please it would be much appreciated

19. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As far as I am aware, yes they have one and it is being kept off show currently. It is in preparation for Grasslands.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting, I love Secretarybirds hopefully the exhibit would replicate the natural habitat and successful breed them.
    What’s the progress with the grassland area so far?
    Will the Black Rhino reserve and the wild dog exhibits will be renovated to be merged or themed to the new zone?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.