Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo now charging visitors to park closer to entrance

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Aug 2019.

1. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Merlin own Warwick Castle and I had hoped to visit until I saw the cost - a ticket for the castle and dungeon online is around £26 (variable depending on the day, and around £34 at the gate!) but if you want to park nearby it is £10, and the car parks which are 10-20 minutes walk away still cost £6! In comparison, Chester seems a bargain - not to say they are right to do it, though.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cost doesn't seem to worry some, look at Whipsnade £25 to take the car in and still it get's packed out with cars at peak times, despite offering free parking and buses round the zoo.
    It surely can't be all Fellows cars, one of the perks of being a fellow is free car entry,

3. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

It is half price in the winter months and half price for members at all times I think - so £6 in winter which is not so bad. I think the majority will be members.

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We all have had a go at the charge for parking what about the cancellation of the X8 bus service this use to carry many members of staff to and from work I know some will say well they have the X1 but how long before this is cancelled from entering the collections grounds as In my experience once one service as been cancelled from a duel route then the other usually follows within the year.
    Does anyone know if the collection charge the transport companies for entering the collection ground which is usually the case for private land.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

£6 is the member price, non members still pay £12.50 on top on entry costs which on top of entry costs of around £25 per person would still make it in excess of £60 for a couple, being a fellow I don't keep up with the costs, but you do at least have the option of free parking and using the free bus service
    I can still remember when, before they upgraded the car par, car entry was free in winter

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
  7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The bus company service has nothing to do with the zoo, lets not try and bash the zoo for an external company decision.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Especially when Adrian has since noted he misread the relevant information and no such decision was made.

9. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Hence why I believe the majority will be members... :confused:

10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I always found hard copy worked well.

(I shall start a separate thread on the interesting subject of media coverage of UK zoos.)

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good idea, I was going to suggest it...

12. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

I thought this parking upgrade was a good business plan, as long as they kept the disabled parking untouched.
    But visited today with my disabled daughter, with a blue badge, and was directed to the disabled overflow carpark.
    The car park they directed me to can not and should not be classed as disabled friendly.
    see attached photo, how would a disabled driver who needs to fully open their door, maybe even transfer from a wheelchair, access their car in this situation.
    luckily, I'm the driver and it's my daughter who requires the increased access space, and therefore I was able to move the car for her to access, and even then if I was on my own with her, I wouldn't have been able to safely leave her alone in a carpark fore a few seconds order to move the car.

sorry, rant over.

Attached Files:

SMR likes this.
  13. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you sent the zoo a message about this? I really think you should, as its very poor IMO!

14. TeaLovingDave

For what it's worth, now someone's created a more suitable thread for the topic I'll be moving the various "zoos in media" posts from this thread into the new one in a bit when I get home from work (on my phone right now) - so it shouldn't be a problem for too much longer :)

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

I've now moved all the side-discussion into the other thread :) so it is now located here.

A few remarks remain in both discussions where appropriate.

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.
  16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Which is understandable to be annoyed but can we have some context here?

What time did you arrive? As all the disabled spaces could have been full, although there should be a minimum amount of diasbled parking provided, it is usually only a small percentage of the overall parking.

I have not visited myself but would be surprised if this impacted on disabled bays as its a PR nightmare to do so.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

I haven’t visited during August myself but do regularly visit with my wife who is a blue badge holder & have never had issues with the disabled parking being full. I have heard it’s been extremely busy over the last few weeks & the disabled spaces are on a first come first served basis, they haven’t taken away any disabled spaces for the priority parking; so whilst I can understand you being annoyed & agree this is something Chester need to look at during busier periods it’s also not a result of Chester’s new parking scheme.

Kifaru Bwana, BeakerUK and Zia like this.
  18. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They have been using the car park were the coaches park for a while now as extra disabled space parking, not saying it's suitable just that's it was used well before the charges were introduced.

On another point, unless you got to the zoo before 9:45 ISH, you were redirected around to the other car parks anyway, away from the charged area, even if spaces were left.

19. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

I did yes, and got a very good and promising reply.

Attached Files:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

We arrived around 10:20am, hardly late in the day, the zoo had only been open for 20minutes, this was intentional to avoid the crowds waiting for the gates to open.