Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Personal Visions Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fallax, 1 Nov 2017.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A bit of a follow up thread from my previous one but this time I want people to have more creative freedom for their own visions for Chester and to go for their own personal dreams. You can try and stay realistic or more outlandish. Here are some of my ideas:

Realm of the Red Ape recreated into 'New World Canopies'

New World Canopies would be for Chester's collection of New World Monkeys. All 9 species present at the zoo would be here. Located in the former orangutan and lar gibbon enclosures would be the spider monkeys, howlers and capuchins. More species would also be brought in like squirrel monkeys. The vivariums and aviaries would become joined together to form new enclosures for the former miniature monkeys as well as the cotton-top tamarins and white-faced sakis. The former inhabitants would move to Islands.

New 'Eastern Treasures'

Eastern Treasures would be in the south-east of the zoo and be built around mainly Chinese animals. It would be a new builiding with vivariums and aviaries for Chinese reptiles, amphibians and birds. It would also connect up to the red panda enclosure. the former serval enclosure will be joined up with the former cassowary enclosure for snow leopards.

'Sea Lion Rock'

Lemur Island will become a new rock themed island for South American sea lion. Some trees will be cut down for visability of course. Also an underwater viewing area will be constructed where the dinosaurs have been kept before underground. It will contain some aquariums and when the dinosaurs come back it can be used for marine reptile animatronics.

2. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brilliant idea starting this thread as the other thread was a bit more realistic.

African Section

First I would de commision the monorail and then built a state of the art cheetah enclosure near the African painted dog. I would also build a new giraffe house and mix them with the zebra.
    I would do exactly what you have said by moving all monkey species to the realm of the red ape and possibly convert the monkey house and islands to house gorilla or bonobo.

New Tiger Subspecies

Then the Indian rhino and old Philippine deer enclosure would be transformed into a brilliant new enclosure for a new sub species of tiger (Malayan or Siberian). This would mean the giraffe house being turned into the new Indian rhino house.

New Asiatic Lion Enclosures

All the current cheetah enclosures would be transformed into enclosures for the zoos lions and maybe being in one to two more females that can breed as only one of the zoo current females can breed

Sea lions

The sea lions would move back into their former enclosure with the giant otters moving to a re deceloped Tropical realm called the Amazonian realm.

New Amazonian realm

First I would completely strip the insides ( including the aye aye enclosures) only leaving the outer walls. The crocodile pools will be in the same area however will be made a lot larger to house black caiman. Another pool similar to the caiman pools will be built to house green anaconda we’re the giant tortoise are now. The brazilian tapir would have the old aye aye indoor enclosure and the old capuchin island. The star attraction of the new tropical realm would be the zoos giant otters who would have a large enclosure taking up a large portion of the building and also having access to the red river hog island becuse the hogs will have left the zoo.

3. Fallax

I would turn Monkey Islands into an 'India House' and retain the macaques. The short-clawed otters would move into the spider monkey enclosure and be given an underwater viewing inside. As for the other two enclosures (I mentioned the capuchins and the mandrills will move somewhere I will mention later.) they would become enclosures for small Indian civet and a walkthrough indoor and outdoor aviary for Indian birds from across the zoo and some new ones. The old monkey kitchen windows would allow for some new Indian herps.

I don't see why the zoo would have two tiger enclosures when they can use the space for more animals. Keep Asian Plains as is and move the spotted deer to Islands and turn it into an enclosure for striped hyena. Move giraffes with zebras as you said before and then turn the giraffe house into an extended Secret World of the Okapi called 'Secret World of the Congo' allowing for new spaces for the Bongo, Congo Buffalo and Red River Hog. The Bongo enclosure could be used for anything really. the old cattle house would become a new enclosure for the Sitatunga and the Red River Hog enclosure, well I really liked your idea below for the giant otters. :)

4. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

the giant otters were personally my favourite idea also

5. Fallax

Here is one of my idea maps I made for Chester if it was split into geographic regions from Act for Wildlife. I have also changed my ideas slightly.

Instead of having a Chinese section in the South-East. This would become a British wildlife section. Lemur Island would not become a pinniped enclosure, it would instead become home to some other primate (guenons?).

Also scrap turning Monkey Islands into an India House. Make this a Chinese House instead as there is more Chinese animals at the zoo than Indian. The otters would instead move to the canal islands where the tamarins are now. The lion-tailed macaques would move to the howler island. The islands would be modified for easier viewing.

Attached Files:

6. Fallax

Here is another idea I had.

Amazon River themed exhibit

This would be just north of SOTJ and would be themed around the amazon river. The first enclosure would be a paddock for capybara and lowland tapir and would contain a lake for them to swim in. Next you would enter a huge lodge with sign posts having information on the Amazon and it's wildlife. The lodge would be similar to the research area in the monsoon forest having small exotherms like reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates from the Amazon. Viewing windows would let you see into aviaries featuring parrots and other birds. Upon leaving there would be a river seemign to block the path where you can view the giant otters from above but can also view underwater from glass. This would lead into a tunnel which will be an aquarium containing many species of fish as well as caimans and turtles. The end tank would be home to Amazonian manatees. After leaving the aquarium there is two enclosures upon leaving the whole exhibit, bush dogs and giant anteaters. The exit would be near the current sand lizard enclosure.

If I want to be super unrealistic we can add another tank for amazonian dolphins but that would probably be a bit too far.

7. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wouldn't they swim away? :)

8. Fallax

Yea, let's make the otters free roaming and hope no angry parents try to sue the zoo because their kid is missing a finger :p But of course the rest of the canal would be blocked. Alternativley the otters could move to Islands as they are found on Sumatra.

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you put otters in the canal it spoils my idea of using the canal for Loch Ness Monsters:p

10. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hmmm, good point! ;)

11. Fallax

Forgot about those!!! Maybe house them with the Wildcats??