Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo picture book

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tim May, 22 Apr 2018.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Whilst sorting out some books, I discovered that I have two copies of the book “Kirkland's Animals” (Eric Kirkland; 1988).

This slim volume, published by the North of England Zoological Society, contains about fifty superb black-and-white photographs of animals at Chester Zoo all taken by Eric Kirkland (a dentist by profession).

The vast majority of animals depicted are primates and cats which, I assume, were Kirkland's favourites; there are also a few other mammals featured and photographs of a chameleon, a green toad and a snowy owl.

Probably many of those ZooChatters, who are regular visitors to Chester Zoo, already own this book but anybody who wants my duplicate copy is welcome to it.

I'll post it to the first person who expresses an interest in it.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2018
  2. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi Tim,

I would definitely be interested. If it is still going please give me a message.

3. Tim May

Yes, you're the first to respond; send me a pm with your name and address and I'll drop it in the post.

4. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds like a nice little book! I do think Chester Zoo are missing a trick at the moment not having any sort of official book available; I'm sure most of us want a guide book, but even a tie-in of the TV series featuring some of the animals that have appeared would, I'm sure, sell well.

5. Tim May

Indeed; it is a very attractive little publication with some lovely photographs.

Perhaps frustratingly all the photos featured are close-up portraits of animals; it would have been nice if there were a few views of zoo buildings too.