Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Questions?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 15 Sep 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I may be wrong but I have noticed a move towards small theme park attractions at the zoo.

Do you feel that this is an advantage to the collection or disadvantage?

These areas that are being used for attractions what would you have replaced them with?

How should the zoo find extra funding if it didn’t have these attractions?

Should they move the old zoo onto the ground currently not used and turn the old zoo into a theme park?

With coach companies now not arriving till around midday should the zoo offer return tickets (like WMSP)?

Would you like to see more smaller animals around the zoo?

Should the collection have it’s own Reptile House?

My Answers

Myself I feel they could be an advantage if they were to add a wrist band for the attractions so people knew what they were going to need (money wise) before they arrived.
    In most cases I think they are better than what they have replaced but the grassed area by the lion enclosure I think this was a great area for a picnic area for the family.
    Finding extra cash without charging for on site attractions can be rather hard but as I have said before, bring in a wrist band type admission for all the extra’s.
    They should move the old zoo only if they are going to pursue this attraction type updates.
    WMSP give return tickets on admission so why don’t Chester Zoo do the same thing as they would surely get extra cash from people having a second visit rather than the visitor only visiting once.
    I would love to see smaller Mammals, Primates & Bird’s around the collection
    I would love to see a dedicated Reptile house at the zoo as I think the collection could provide a world class exhibit and even hold many dangerous reptiles.
    Please note these are just ideas and nothing along the lines of these above ideas have ever been from the collection

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First of all, I want to say the zoo is not becoming a theme park at all in my opinion, yes there is more 'attractions' but none of them scream that the zoo is becoming a theme park. Anyway here are my answers:

I feel it has advantages because well, more income obviously and the zoo is big enough in which it isn't like valuable land is lost.

I would of course replace them with animal exhibits like any ZooChatter :p

Hard to say, maybe more special days or paid behind the scenes I don't know really Chester isn't as desperate for money as other zoos.

NO this is an awful idea, the zoo has way too much history if anything it should be the other way around but I don't want a theme park anyway.

This could generate some income especially with how big the zoo is getting.

Yes of course, more diversity is the best!

No, I am a fan of the current geographic theming and how spread out the reptile collection is.

14556 likes this.
  3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you're wrong and over-reacting. One non-zoo attraction ("Go Ape thing") is replacing another (Golf) -this is not really an increase in theme park attractions. Given Chester's size, I don't think the proportion of non-animal attractions in significantly different from other UK zoos.

If anything it's an advantage, certainly not a commercial disadvantage.

I'd leave Chester to do what they think best, they seem to know what they're doing in becoming and remaining the best zoo in the UK.

I'm not answering this as a moderator would chastise me for ridiculing or insulting you.

No, the coaches should set off earlier so they can arrive earlier.

Yes, I'm sure we all would but most small animals are nocturnal and add little to the general visitor experience. Chester's mix is pretty good as it is.

Again, I think Chester know what they're doing (not having one) and I'm happy to leave them to it.

4. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with the theme Park attractions comment. Chester Zoo has nothing that I would recognise as particularly theme park even the Ape man. Having play areas for kids is fine in moderation. For the size of the Zoo I believe it is in moderation. Time will tell if the Ape man will be a financial success.

There will be no need to move the Zoo because Chester is developing a holding area to aid the redevelopment process. It also holds a lot of unused ground which it could and will use.

As for the coaches it woildn’t seem a logical business idea to give away tickets if people are prepared to pay even if they arrive at midday.

I don’t think a reptile house fits in with the Zoos current themeing. I like the mixture of mammals, fish, birds and reptiles in a themed geographical area. I’d personally like more reptiles but I don’t hold out hope for any particularly dangerous additions. Although with the massive Retic, Gaboon viper, Komodo Dragons and Sunda Gharail they aren’t short of dangerous reptiles as it currently stands.

It seems to me the zoo’s ultimate aim should be to expand so that it is big enough for a two day visit. They have the space I’m certain there could be the demand.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

So.... you believe none of the following have happened at Chester before?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Why so much disdain?

I don't think there is anything theme-parky about Chester and the few additional attractions they have are pretty par for the course these days. They appeal to the majority customer base (families), bring in income and provide opportunities for kids to let off steam. I don't see any issue with that.

I wouldn't replace them - I don't believe they encroach enough to be a problem.
    No re the old zoo.
    No re return tickets.
    Yes - more smaller animals would be nice.
    I personally very much enjoy a reptile house - but am equally happy with a good reptile collection spread across the zoo. Either would work for me.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Disdain? No.

Incredulity that he claims Chester has never had a bird house, reptile house or small mammal house, and that these are ideas he is the first to propose they should adopt? Yes.

I repeat his claim:

Swampy likes this.
  8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I read it more as the ideas/suggestions for future developments are just chat rather than something that has been suggested by Chester. Which would be true. People on this forum get so het up about speculation I can see why posters feel the need to caveat stuff with "these are just my ideas".

jde7582 likes this.