Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Reports 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 1 Jan 2018.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They used to breed those.

2. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is my first time posting so apologies if anything is repeated below is a repeat. Visited the zoo today and noticed some things that hadn’t been posted about previously:

New developments:

• 3 new aviaries completed and open to public at the start of islands, all are connected and first 2 contain Prevost’s squirrels (Callosciurus prevostii) from Elephants of the Asian forest exhibit and the last one contains a couple of Belanger’s tree shrews (Tupaia belangeri) and Northern Luzon cloud rat (Phloeomys pallidus) though I couldn’t spot them.
    • All aviaries open again after avian flu infection risk.
    • Cassowary (Casuarius) exhibit open again as is passage to the Visayan warty pigs (Sus cebifrons).
    • Chimp (Pan troglodytes verus) house was closed for maintenance but chimps still on show outside.
    • Jewel wasps (Ampulex compressa) have been replaced by question mark Cockroaches (Therea olegrandjeani) in Monsoon forest.

Babies:

• Baby male elephant (Elephas maximus) born to Mum Thi on 17/05/18
    • Baby unsexed Indian Rhino (Rhinoceros unicornis) born last week as well I believe
    • 4 meerkat (Suricata suricatta) kits born perhaps a couple of weeks ago?
    • 2 baby blacksmith plover (Vanellus armatus) chicks spotted
    • Baby Okapi (Okapia johnstoni) born to mum K’Tusha, looks maybe 2 weeks old?
    • One of the bush dogs (Speothos venaticus) and one of the Onagers (Equus heinous onager) looked pregnant
    • Saw the Brow-antlered Deer (Rucervus eldii) herd mixed with the male Indian Rhino (Rhinoceros unicornis) in the late afternoon, there were also 2 deer fawns.

New species (potentially?):

• Lady amherst’s pheasants (Chrysolophus amherstiae) have replaced red-billed blue magpies (Urocissa erythroryncha) in aviary outside elephants of the asian forest
    • Spotted a bright red bird (possibly some sort of lory?) in the off-show area of the Bali starling (Leucopsar rothschildi) temple aviary but no obvious signage?
    • Fire-tufted Barbet (Psilopogon pyrolophus) spotted in the second large aviary on Islands (just after the Tigers (Panthera tigris sumatrae)) as was signage for Oriental Magpie-robins (Copsychus saularis); is this a new species?
    • Mao-Son frogs (Hylarana maosonensis) and Bornean eared frogs (Polypedates otilophus) both introduced into all three lizard exhibits in Monsoon forest.
    • Ecuador amazon parrots (Amazona lilacina) weren’t visible in the parrot enclosure but instead there were 2 greenish finch-sized birds that had a small mohican - no clue what species - but no change in signage
    • Sunda Lowland Scops Owl (Otus lempiji) moved into aviary opposite Great Grey Owl (Strix nebulosa) and asked a keeper and he said it was a move to encourage the owls to produce fertile eggs. Being replaced with red-headed Tanagers (Piranga erythrocephala) supposedly.

I also want to ask a question and see if you guys can offer any insight into what might happen to the Alaotran gentle lemurs (Hapalemur alaotrensis) once the new lemur walkthrough enclosure is complete. Surely they aren’t of a compatible nature to be mixed in with the ring-tailed’s (Lemur catta) or the Black lemurs (Eulemur macaco); is it possible they will have a new encosure built for them within the new development, or perhaps just left where they are?

3. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

The maintenance on the chimp house will require a glazier as the end panel of glass nearest the exit has been shattered.

Benobo88 likes this.
  4. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The gentle lemurs are currently, I believe on the old capuchin island, just outside of the tropical realm, opposite the hyacinth macaws.

5. Benobo88

That makes sense, was that one of the chimps or the visitors do you know?

6. Benobo88

That's where I saw a pair yesterday, just wondered if they're likely to be involved in the new Madagascar developments or not?

7. Charlie Simmomds

Could be seeing as there is a separate enclosure for lemurs too, though it could be for the blacks or ruffed. Speaking of the blacks has anyone managed to take a decent photo of one of them yet?

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2 Fire-tufted barbet chicks hatched in 1984 were the first to be bred in the U.K.

9. bongorob

the red bird in Bali temple aviary sounds like one of the yellow-backed lories.

Oriental Magpie Robins arrived in 2017.

the greenish finch like birds in the parrot aviary are a pair of yellow, or if you prefer, green cardinals (Gubernatrix cristata)

red-headed tanager is a new species for the zoo.

Benobo88 likes this.
  10. Benobo88

Yep, both birds matched what I saw on the day, did both species get introduced recently? Do you know if the Ecuadorian Amazon Parrots are likely to return in the future?

11. bongorob

As far as I know the parrots are still there, it's just that since the aviary was refurbished to look like the natural habitat they hardly ever show themselves.

yellow-backed lory has been kept at Chester since 1988. The cardinals are a recent new arrival from Newquay

Benobo88 likes this.
  12. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

It will have been one of the chimps.

Benobo88 likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Worth noting the species in question is the Luzon Lowland Scops (Otus megalotis) and not the Sunda. As such it is possible @Benobo88 has got confused with the latter species too, although I hope not.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Benobo88

Ah my mistake, you're absolutely right with the Owls. Pretty sure it was definitely red-headed Tanager that the keeper said, though you have me doubting myself now!

Another update released on the zoo's FB page today said that the new Pademelon/Tree kangaroo enclosure opens tomorrow too

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

A Baby Chimp has been born to Zee Zee I’m guessing under 2 weeks old

Fallax, littleRedPanda, 14556 and 5 others like this.
  16. Charlie Simmomds

What good news! After I queried about this!

Kifaru Bwana and bongorob like this.
  17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Still nothing on facebook about a baby chimp. Their house was closed when I visited on Monday, but I'm hoping to sneak a quick visit in tomorrow to investigate.

18. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

The house is closed because a window is shattered inside (you can see the broken window through the exit door). I visited again today & mother & baby were outside a few times. I think you may have missed the baby on Monday as I’ve heard from a couple of people that spotted it out on Monday.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  19. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When was the last chimp born here ?

20. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

Surviving would be 2009 Tina (same mother as the latest birth Zee Zee).