Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Reports 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 1 Jan 2018.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited on Friday and it was surprisingly a lot busier than expected
    As it was very warm many of the animals had taken shelter away from the visitors view.
    Here’s a few points I noticed:
    • Bernie the Male Andean bear is still in SOTJ. He never seems to look comfortable there and I can’t help but wonder why he’s not been moved back in with Lima and Madidi.
    • That also got me thinking about what they’re gonna do with the other side of SOTJ when he eventually does move back.Is there potential for more jags?
    • The new Madagascarn development looks unbelievable. There are three buildings up with that and a huge caged/netted area made with a similar material to the one used for the oranges/gibbons on islands. I wondered also why they have opted not to build a nocturnal house in the new madagascarn area for the aye-aye and gentle lemur. This could free up some space then for a potentially new species of nocturnal animal in there current enclosure
    • The sun bear enclosure seemed very quite. I was very confused by the fact Millie’s doors outdoors and into the indoor enclosure were shut as I hadn’t seen the news before I had left
    • Tigers weren’t visible again and it’s begging to become very frustrating because everyone I speak to seems to have a problem with viewing them.
    • Sangria the good fellows tree kangaroo was visible right in front of the glass however the Pademelons still ovade me in both enclosures.the enclosure however is no in my opinion one of the best In the zoo
    • Finnaly they have moved the female black rhinos around and the Asha the Indian rhino was parading her calf around

3. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nocturnal houses may be built in the future or another area changed, as the tropical house has limited time left.

bongorob likes this.
  4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps the male spectacled bear will not move back in with the female until the studbook needs more breedings from the apair, just a guess. I really have no idea why he has not gone across.

jde7582 likes this.
  5. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Completely feel your frustration on the tiger front. Visited 2 days in a row about a month ago with my family and only caught a glimpse on the first day yet they were sitting out in the open the second day. Also failed to see the cassowary and Pallas cats on both days and only saw the jaguars from the ramp up to ROTRA

6. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve genuinely been a member for the 15 years of me having to have one and I can easily say it’s becoming harder and harder to see the tigers. I know the enclosures are better for the animals but there needs to be a fine line for visitors aswell. It’s almost like the gorilla house issue at London

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I've given up on the tigers at Chester. Even if they are visible, the viewing areas become too busy

8. jde7582

Think maybe the fact it's a female and her daughter, may not help, maybe more movement with a male/female pairing

9. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I've got some great images of the Tigers at Chester, but mainly because I've asked what time they are being fed and just parked myself 20-30 minutes before they are fed at a good viewing point and waited. It's the Malayan Tapir's who always elude me !

10. bongorob

Not announced via video or on social media, but someone may be iterested.The zoo has 8 white-faced whistling ducklings, perhaps more :p

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How nice. They are lovely. Newquay has a big flock on their lake.

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

These in the tropical realm correct?

13. bongorob

No they are white-winged ducks, formerly known as white-winged wood ducks, last week the female was on a nest, so perhaps it won't be too long before she has babies.

The white-faced whistling ducks are in the pelican aviary.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Thanks

15. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Three little news updates:

Oakfield pub has reopened today and looks very nice.

The Twig catfish in spirit of the jaguar have began hatching.

Over the coming month, starting tomorrow the zoo is auctioning off a large number of old signs on eBay. If any zoo chatters manage to grab one i’d Love to hear what you’ll be doing with them.

AardvarkJosh likes this.
  16. bongorob

two baby Cape rock hyraxes on show with the group.

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news! :p

bongorob likes this.
  18. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have any further details been released yet following the sudden deaths of the 4 Pallas Cats? Such a sad loss, thoughts very much with their team of keepers & staff that cared for them.

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. jde7582

Works coming along nicely on the new Madagascar exhibits, do have pics but new phone takes to large a photo. Taken some of the solid fencing down so you can see more now, especially near the penguins.