Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Reports 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you look at the plans for the new Grasslands area you will see that there will be a lot of construction near the hunting dog paddock, and that whole area of the zoo will have to be closed off during some stages of that process. This will obviously affect many species, but moving the cheetahs and hunting dogs will minimise the disturbance for those species and allow them to remain on show throughout.

Kifaru Bwana and Benobo88 like this.
  2. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I understand this, I just don't understand why the zoo is advertising the cheetahs being moved in a way that would be similar to advertising a new species or exhibit entirely? It just seems unusual, but there aren't any new projects for next year so this takes the focus of the public?

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I thought the signs were bit excessive when I first walked past them, but I didn't realise they were making way for the dogs. Now I see it as just a big sign for those visitors who might not be up to date with movements around the zoo. No big deal really.

jde7582 and Benobo88 like this.
  4. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it might also help so that people don't think it's a neglected/empty part of the zoo? They often do this with aviaries that temporarily are empty - saying that their animals are on the move. This doesn't appear to be that different - for the regular zoo-goer that area would probably appear more empty - more pademelons like in Islands, another pudu enclosure like by the jaguars, and then yeah two empty enclosures. It helps the visitors to not think any part of the zoo isn't being cared for as much as the rest.

Benobo88 likes this.
  5. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps the last 2019 report: the Lady Amherst's Pheasants are now in the waterfowl nursery aviary; meanwhile in the Aquarium the Rainbow Shiners have crossed the aisle and are now in the tank formerly occupied by a range of Indian barb species; the former Shiner tank now houses shoals of four species of Mexican livebearer.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Jennings

Oh, and I was advised by a ranger that the Coquerel's Sifakas should be arriving from Duke next year; the delay I'm told is due to the backlog of animal transfer paperwork which resulted from the US Government shutdown.

7. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Next year as in 2021? Disappointing if so - but better late than never!

8. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will this affect the ones going to Bristol as well?

9. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where will these be housed, the black lemur enclosure?

10. Jennings

Sorry: next year as in this year. I was told the news on Monday, when this year was next year. If you see what I mean.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.