Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Spring 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 2 Jan 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tee hee, I'd been thinking that with even less evidence to base it on!

3. Campbell89

Campbell89 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I myself am also a large fan of the tigers and noticed her behaviour is similar to previous times. Managed to catch a keeper and ask her if she was pregnant, her facial expression said she was although when questioned she said she didn't know.

Don't know if it's been said before but I got told that sun bears are going in the tiger enclosure once islands opens and the tigers move into islands in march. The zoo also has two aye-ayes in the collection ready for islands.

4. Campbell89

Also I noticed on one of the Edinburgh zoo threads someone noted chester will never get clouded leopard. Is this something that has been said by the zoo or purely speculation? I would love to see them in the zoo!

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Aye-ayes WILL NOT BE GOING IN ISLANDS at present,they may do at somepoint in the long term,but not at present,in fact they could be off-show for quite sometime!

I wouldn't put money on the Tigers moving into Islands much before May or June at the earliest either!

6. Campbell89

The lady I spoke to said that they arrived, I may have mistook them as going into islands. However she did say the animals would be moved into islands in March so that they are settled ready for the public opening which at the moment is seeming to be the late May bank holiday or early June.

That's only what I've been told anyway. Looking at the construction it seems to be coming on fast although working in the industry myself the first 80% of projects seems to happen fast and the last 20% gets dragged out!

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Lets just wait and see when stuff starts to move,but I don't expect it to happen as quick as the zoo is saying it will,in fact I don't even expect Islands to open when they say it will either!

8. Campbell89

I agree. I can see why they want it ready for summer to bring in crowds and revenue although I wouldn't be surprised if it is late summer when it opens.

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Maybe zg knows something I don't, but just wanted to point out there's no (public) reason they couldn't move either the 'cubs' that are in Spirit of the Jaguar or just Fabi on his own into the new enclosure and leave Kirana where she is (or vice versa, if she isn't about to give birth!). No particular reason why 'the tigers' have to move, all as one action.

10. Campbell89

Agreed although when I asked which pair of tigers was moving across I got told it was fabi and kirana because they are in the process of moving the two Cubs to a different zoo. Which zoo hasn't been decided yet as they were hoping to move them as a pair although ultimately I would imagine it's down to the studbook to decide.

11. Maguari

Barring unforeseen circumstances it will certainly be Kirana and Fabi in Islands long-term, so anyone at the zoo will undoubtedly give that answer. But that doesn't mean it has to be both (or even either) of them straight away. ;)

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are, and they do.

13. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where did these aye-ayes arrive from, Durrell i'm guessing?
    Also, in the video of the annual stock take, it shows a species of skink which looks like Eutropis multifasciata. Can anybody else confirm this?

14. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

thanks, it does seem a tad dusty in the Rhino house

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male aye-aye is from Bristol and the female from London.

I don't know about the skinks, but they could be.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Inside joke :p but yes, there are no plans by the zoo to get said species.

17. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

what a shame as they would fit perfectly with islands and certainly make me very happy :)

18. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Any new bird species arriving in the near future please.

19. Campbell89

Agreed. They're one if the nicest cat species IMO!

20. Maguari

Except that the species in European zoos is Neofelis nebulosa and only found on the Asian mainland, not on the islands! :D

Technically, if they want some for Islands they should import some Neofelis diardi, Sunda Clouded Leopard - wouldn't say no to that..!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.