Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo updates *3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 5 Jun 2012.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was a joke- just pointing out that's what they are doing here. Perfectly harmless I agree.

So what is it?

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the Facebook page

There were some great guesses about our new arrival yesterday and many of you were spot on! Meet 16-month-old male Okapi Kivu, who joined us from Stuttgart Zoo in Germany. We're sure you'll agree, he’s very handsome.

It took me by surprise.

Alan

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Don't worry, your post was clearly a joke, that was more aimed at SMR's slightly more indignant post! :D

4. Pertinax

Me too...maybe they have room to hold a 2nd male until one of them is later transferred elsewhere. Can't think why they would have two males otherwise.

5. Pertinax

Nisha was right.:)

6. Pertinax

I wonder if they flagged up that these three cows represent three generations of the same family. Certainly the first time this has ever occurred with elephants in a UK zoo.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The first thing that occurred to me was that it's a bit like a situation in my girlfriend's family tree back in the late 19th century which I came across when researching it for her - her 2xgreat-grandmother, 3xgreat-grandmother and 4xgreat-grandmother were all pregnant at roughly the same time!

8. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

RE: Okapi

The photo appears to be in the former Anteater exhibit across the canal, which is adjacent to the giraffe house.

Hopefully this means a second pair (should Stuma's unborn calf be a female) rather than the departure of Dicky though!

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  9. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you're aware that the new male 'Kivu' is actually a half brother to 'Stuma' they have the same father ('Vitu') so I really much doubt they will have a second breeding pair with Stuma's unborn calf (If female) and Kivu. Nevertheless they could create a second pair with Kivu and an unrelated female.

This is a very pleasant surprise, Chester should hopefully have four Okapi by the end of the year then.

10. Indlovu

Seeing as they're both Stuttgart this did cross my mind (didn't check though) - it'll be interesting to see what happens with Kivu in the long-term.

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Its more likely that Chester have agreed to house a spare male,given that at present there is a hold on any new holders for the time being,with the species.Plus the fact that they could hold atleast 2 more young male Okapi if required to do so by the studbook.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Out of curiosity, how long has the hold been fixed at?

13. Indlovu

That would make a lot of sense - having an exhibit of that quality empty would be completely illogical

14. zoogiraffe

I believe it has a few years to go,but from what I have heard it has every chance of being extended.

15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I wonder if the recently-postulated withdrawal of Okapi from Dvur Kralove will/would have any affect on this.

16. zoogiraffe

Possible but I think they have enough holders,that with a bit of carefull planning that they could,do it with out having to send them to a new holder,it will probably mean a few moves but I still think its possible.

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From a conversation earlier today on-site it would appear that accommodating Kivu is basically a favour to Stuttgart/ Studbook, but that in the longer term two pairs of Okapi at Chester could be an aspiration.

Splendid!

18. zoogiraffe

Just to keep people with the heads up on Chilean Flamingo Chicks,the count today was 8 although Bongorob and myself suspect a few more could have been hiding under parents.