Join our zoo community

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Cheyenne Mountain Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 25 Feb 2009.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's good because many of us on ZooChat (myself included) are opposed to exhibiting non-flighted birds and feel all birds should be in free flight aviaries (yes even big birds).

2. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm so stealing a penguin.

I checked out after I read they wouldn't have underwater viewing for the hippos, but I have to say this is a really good looking exhibit! I've been wanting somebody to be able to house a pod for ages, and this might be the closest we get.

I don't even mind that metal monstrosity that doubles as a barn. It could even be interesting depending on how they've utilized the interior space.

This makes Denver's hippo exhibit look positively medieval.

3. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

CMZ will reopen starting tomorrow June 6 to members and the general public on June 11. The zoo’s variance is good until June 19.
    Welcome Back! - CMZoo

Buldeo and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Is there a link to those SSP comments? I saw a TAG report that mentioned the species being lumped together as one, but I don't remember the specifics.

5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the species’ profile it states “Highly social. New facilities should have the ability to hold multiple hippos (4 to 8 animals) and be willing to breed. The historical trend of displaying small groups of 1-3 hippos will not meet management needs for this population in the future.”

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...de12e13dd0409ca/1576809455445/River+hippo.pdf

And here is the population viability analysis that shows current trends will not keep the population at a stable size, with some blame leveled on the trend of keeping just a pair.

“Among these 32 institutions, five hold potential breeding groups with three or more adult hippos, and seven hold potential breeding pairs. Thirteen institutions hold only one or two adult females, six hold only one or two adult males, and one holds a breeding-age male with a post-reproductive female. The majority of current institutions do not have space to hold more than two adult hippos. Because male and female river hippos tend to breed readily when housed together, additional space is usually required to separate the pair for extended periods of time and limit breeding. Consequently, many institutions choose to hold two adult females instead of a potential breeding pair. Because of this practice, managers often have difficulty in placing adult male river hippos, which must be held singly, in spite of the population’s female-biased sex ratio. Additionally, breeding is constrained by the limited number of breeding pairs that are formed. Ideally, more institutions would be able to hold larger breeding groups that better accommodate the sex bias of 1.9 females per male in the potentially breeding population and facilitate higher breeding rates.”

https://ams.aza.org/iweb/upload/Pop...Report - 2016 River Hippopotamus-3f32a682.pdf

6. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Thanks the reading material! It's always annoyed me that all the zoos I've frequented only have (at most) a pair. It's usually a single bull.

The Wild Animal Park in San Diego could readily accommodate a pod -- they have the space -- as could Oakland, but neither facility keeps the species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Oakland? Where would an exhibit even be?

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Yes, Oakland.

Possible places: that massive muntjac exhibit could be redeveloped; the giraffe exhibit; claim part of that empty meadow; or right where the chimps are today. The entire core zoo needs a rethink and shift.

But we have a thread for that.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Echobeast

Here’s a great video with the warthogs and hippos in the outdoor yards (different times they aren’t mixed yet)

Security Check Required

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Definitely, a quality of life exhibit award there!

12. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I totally agree. It seems that, for once, the needs of animals have come before everything else. The additionnal space for warthogs is great. Well done.

@Echobeast Thank you for the video !

StoppableSan, nczoofan and PAT like this.
  13. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

So heartwarming to see how excited those warthogs look exploring their new home, especially with some woods and a mud wallow! I can't help but wonder what it will look like after a couple years of the "wild pig terrain treatment" though... hopefully the large space and varied terrain helps prevent any one area from bearing the brunt of their rooting behavior.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Echobeast

Also since the zoo has been opened I can reveal the so far final species for Water’s Edge. It’s guinea pigs. Sorry to keep the suspense up lol.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I could ask why guinea pigs are being kept in an African exhibit, but instead I will ask if you could upload some photos of the new complex now that its open. :p

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  16. Echobeast

I will soon. I need to find some time to walk through it and take lots of pictures for the site.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Damaraland mole rats, jerboas or something else would make a lot more sense, with the guinea pigs being moved to a hypothetical Andean Foothills section.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Echobeast

Guinea pigs are apparently used as an eco friendly food source in some African countries. Plus Nashville needed to get rid of some of theirs lol.

Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  19. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

I am not sure how relevant this is here, but I’m posting it nevertheless as I feel it is worth sharing ;).

I had the great fortune of visiting Cheyenne Mountain Zoo today, and was able to witness the new exhibit. My expectations after about 5 years of construction were certainly lofty, and even these were surpassed and more.
    The first exhibit experienced is home to a flock of African Penguins.Though the penguins were not utilizing their entire space when I visited, I was still amazed by the quality and total size of their exhibits. The area for Ring Tailed Lemurs, though small at ground level, was easily tall enough to accommodate the three of them, and proved enriching for not only the lemurs, but the guests as well. People of all ages staring in awe as they bounced around the trees and bushes of their island homes.
    The warthog exhibit was fantastic for an often overlooked species, including a great indoor area, and an extremely expansive outdoor area, part of it shared with their far larger neighbors with plenty of space for them to retreat back to a warthogs only section.
    When I originally found out that the Guinea Pig was the final species in the exhibit I was a bit disappointed, expecting a type of small Antelope or large bird in their place. Despite this, the zoo even found a way to make the Guinea Pig yard interesting. A species that I rarely bat an eye at had me watching them for several minutes. The zoo managed to put these species in a charismatic environment that helped show how great they can be.
    However, the true stars of the show are the Hippos. Both the indoor and outdoor areas were expansive, enriching, and are now likely one of the best Hippo exhibits in the United States. From the fantastic indoor jungle type area to the rope bridge crossing over the yard, I was in awe. Even though there was no underwater viewing, it was fine because it was blatantly obvious that the zoo put the care and needs of the hippos as first priority.
    The newest addition to the Cheyenne Mountain zoo more than holds its own against other Hippo, Penguin, and even Warthog exhibits in other zoos. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this won an AZA award, because it most certainly deserves it. All animals were excited, enriched, and evidentially happy in their new homes. Congratulations to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on their phenomenal, inspiring, and interesting Waters Edge: Africa.

Buldeo, Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and 7 others like this.
  20. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ThatOneZooGuy: Thank you very much for your report. Having seen the new exhibit only "in progress", I hope I can see it soon in its "running stage" soon (Although Colorado isn't just arround the corner for Swiss).
    However: There is one point that disappoint me right yet: GUINEA PIGS in an exhibit called Waters Edge: AFRICA!!!!! I deeply don't hope that the responsible persons of the zoo don't believe that these rodents are from the Dark Continent because of their name....

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.