Join our zoo community

Children's Zoo Ideas

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Amphibiman, 28 Feb 2022.

1. Amphibiman

Amphibiman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's definitely still there and available as an upcharge. They have worked to keep it up-to-date and is a very interesting exhibit. With it still being an upcharge it has clearly proven to maintain it's popularity as well.

pichu and Neil chace like this.
  2. Amphibiman

Something from when I was a child just came to mind. Every year the school I was at did a "Salmon Run." Not sure if any other schools did this or not. It was essentially a game that combined elements of a race, the game of tag and obstacle course. Basically, you were a salmon. You had a river (the track) that you had to make your way to the end of to get to the spawning grounds. On the way you would encounter staff members who would pose various threats to your continued survival (bears, turbines, pollution, overfishing, dams...) You would have to find various ways around the obstacles. Avoid being netted by the fishing nets, avoid being caught by the bears or the turbines, avoid being caught in the pollution, climb the water in areas...It showed just how difficult it was for this species and really educated about them and the dangers that are presented to them and other aquatic wildlife while providing a fun and challenging experience. It's a little off-topic but it made me think of what other educational games could be employed by a children's zoo as opposed to just making crafts, having animal ambassadors and the usual. Just getting out of that box and seeing what ideas can be implemented into these concepts.

Birdsage likes this.
  3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I never played that game at school, but it's a game that was played at the first zoo camp I was affiliated with (both as a camper and then as a volunteer). I'm blanking on the name of the book, but the game is from a rather well-known book of activities in the environmental education world that's been around a while. Implementing it into a children's zoo may be difficult as its a very structured activity with rules, organized game play, etc. but I like the idea. Which brings up an idea that just dawned on me: Children's Zoos are almost ubiquitous in major zoos, but children's exhibits in aquariums are rather rare. I know Shedd has a children's discovery zone, but it's one of only two aquariums I'm aware of with a "children's aquarium" (along with Adventure Aquarium in NJ). Maybe a good idea for a unique exhibit would be aquariums implementing a "children's aquarium" section, with science museum-esque interactive displays about the wonderful world of water, along with some aquariums for popular fish (with kid bubbles popping into the middle of the tanks), touch tanks, an under-sea themed playground area, and other water-themed displays geared towards children.

Birdsage and Amphibiman like this.
  4. Amphibiman

If you ever come across the name of that book, please let me know. I would love to take a look at it at some point. Thank you!

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Balozi Village
    "Balozi" is the Swahili word for "ambassador" or "angel," certainly an apt moniker for this interactive Africa-themed children's zoo.

The centerpiece a petting zoo featuring domestic creatures originating from or representative proxies of livestock from Africa. Species include Nigerian pygmy goat, Boer goat, watusi, donkey, and domestic guineafowl.

Surrounding Baa Boma are exhibits for larger and more exotic wildlife. These exhibits encourage interaction with these unique creatures and teach visitors about both their lifestyles and their interactions with humans.

Just down the way, a large replica of a kopje (an isolated hill or ridge jutting up from the land) stands prominently. These formations make homes for a wide variety of species. On the top are statues depicting a family of lions. In and around the kopje are exhibits for some of the small creatures that make their homes in and around them. Inside is a dark room with exhibits for orange baboon tarantula, Transvaal thick-tailed scorpion, green mamba, and black-footed cats. Things to learn about include the arthropods and reptiles that are eaten by meerkats, that meerkats are immune to scorpion venom, and that black-footed cats can outhunt (have a higher hunting success rate) than lions. Just outside to one side is a small exhibit home to a pair of rock hyrax. Next to it is the skull of an African elephant. Won't visitors be surprised to learn that elephants and hyraxes are close relatives! The last exhibit here, immediately behind the kopje, is home to meerkats. Visitors can get up close to these inquisitive creatures via high glass windows and underground tubes like those are prairie dog exhibits.

Another nearby habitat is home to a pair of lappet-faced vultures. A breeding pair, these birds will challenge visitors' preconceptions of vultures as ugly scavengers as they learn about their endangerment in the wild due to poisoning.

Next is a pasture exhibit that is home to a family of reticulated giraffes. At varying times each day, random supervised feedings by visitors occur. Living with the giraffes are a pair of warthogs (for all the Lion King fans) and a herd of scimitar oryxes (a species from whom the idea of the unicorn may have originated). Nearby is a space with beehives and viewing for domestic honeybees. Nearby is a statue of an African elephant. These are here to educate visitors about farmers who use bees to deter elephants from their properties and prevent them from eating their crops.

The last two exhibits are home to predatory species: lions and cheetahs. These predators are here to drive home lessons about conflicts between farmers and predators. A small outdoor arena hosts daily cheetah runs and educational programs.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2022
  7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had a similar idea for a fantasy zoo. I think it would be neat to show domestics near wild species in a similar manner as youve described.

8. pichu

pichu Well-Known Member

i dont know if there are any in captivity or how rare they are, but coelacanth could be a cool idea for this

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I doubt if you would be allowed to keep a captive coelacanth, but an Australian lungfish would work well

pichu likes this.
  10. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

And/or other primitive fish as Lampreys or Sturgeons.

pichu and ifesbob like this.