Join our zoo community

Chimelong Safari Park Chimelong Safari Park News

Discussion in 'China' started by aardvark250, 3 Aug 2016.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Moderator's Edit:

@aardvark250 originally intended this to be a thread for all the Chimelong Parks, but it has become a Safari Park thread, and the other parks deserve their own visibility, So I am splitting it.

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Oct 2019
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. aardvark250

kiang likes this.
  4. aardvark250

kiang likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

6. Chlidonias

this is a set of beautiful portraits of primates at Chimelong. The "article" is from last year and the blurb says the park has "60 types of primate". One of them is Black-shanked Douc.

Primates of Guangzhou - in pictures

7. aardvark250

Yes,chimelong have a lot of rare primate species,but sadly most of them are offshow or just on show for a short period of time. I think they have 9(!)species of langur before, sadly only the most common one are onshow. Also they have exhibit bearded saki and howler monkey before, when in 2012.Sadly they become offshow quickly again.

8. aardvark250

I doubt they have 60 species though. Even JMC only have approximately 70-80 species.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder which Indonesian park loaned out the proboscis monkey. I have an inkling that this might be Zoo Surabaya which has quite large groups of proboscis in residence.

I will check Indonesian websites for updates or news and if I come across anything will let you all know.

10. Chlidonias

back in 2013 @baboon listed at least 42 species being there: Zoos in Guangzhou?

"Chimpanzee, Borneo orangutan, siamang, silver gibbon, pileated gibbon, white-handed gibbon, northern white-cheeked gibbon, western black gibbon, eastern hoolock gibbon, black-shanked douc, Francois's langur, white-headed langur, silver langur, ebony langur, purple-faced langur, golden snub-nosed monkey, Guizhou snub-nosed monkey, lion-tailed macaque, black-crested macaque, bonnet macaque, rhesus macaque, Assam macaque, crab-eating macaque, pig-tailed macaque, hamadryas baboon, mandrill, patas monkey, DeBrazza's guenon, black spider monkey, red howler monkey, black-beard saki, black-capped capuchin, squirrel monkey, golden-headed lion tamarin, red-handed tamarin, Goeldi's marmoset, slow loris, ring-tailed lemur, black-and-white ruff lemur, red ruff lemur, brown lemur, collared brown lemur"

11. aardvark250

I doubt all of them are on exhibit.
    the tamarain,howler and saki are only in the "South america kingdom" exhibit, which I think open in 2012 and closed in 2014(?).I havn't know they have guizhou snub-nosed monkey.The langur are probably only onshow for a small period of time. For the other, i think most of them are still there, especially after the opening of "primate kingdom" in 2015-2016.

12. Chlidonias

an interesting snippet in this article about the proboscis monkeys: Endangered long-nosed monkeys introduced at Chinese safari park

The wildlife park is said to have been preparing to bring the monkeys in for more than 20 years, by sending keepers and vets to Indonesia to get involved with the animals' daily routine, as well as setting aside an area of 20 acres in order to plant the specific trees that the monkeys favour.

The information from that article came from this one (in Chinese), which doesn't add a whole lot - and doesn't say which zoo the monkeys came from - although it does describe the quarantine facilites: 中国首次引进濒危物种大鼻猴落户广州_网易新闻

The quarantine cages cover an area of 180 square meters, which includes six cages and three outside enclosures, with 24-hour video surveillance, temperature and humidity monitor, "leaves fresh room", [I'm assuming the room where they keep the food-stuffs] Duty room, feed operation room, advance room, drug storage room, treatment cage, electronic scales and other facilities and equipment.

It also appears to say that Chimelong now holds 300 species of animals with 60,000 individuals, and is the largest zoo in the world. That may be translation error.

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Could just be a very creative PR department. ;)

14. Kifaru Bwana

My money remains on K.B. Surabaya, but I have yet to see a news article in the Bahasa media.

It goes without saying that Chimelong and some of the better known accredited zoos within CAZG have long standing experience with leaf eating primates of S.E. Asia and Indochina and in some respects are "miles" ahead of western and "supposedly" developed zoos! ;)

To name a few that fit the category: Nanning Primate Reproductive Center, Wuzhou Breeding Center, Yunnan Center for Experimental Primates in Kunming, Beijing and Shanghai Zoos and their Breeding Centers.

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To be precise, it says that Chimelong has the most number of species and most number of animals of any "animal theme park" in the world. They didn't use the word for "zoo".

Last edited: 14 Sep 2017
    PossumRoach and Chlidonias like this.
  16. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I must admit that I had made a mistake then. The species list is based mostly from the online news and is out of truth. Now it seems that they have never gotten hoolock and western black gibbons, and they actually have yellow-cheeked gibbons instead of northern white-cheeked. I doubt they still have white-headed langurs. And the Guizhou snub-nosed monkey was on loan during that time and is now back to Guizhou Breeding Center. For other species I don't know their situation now.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Baboon, it would be nice to have an on site update sometime.
    When you or friends revisit the zoo, be our guest!

BTW: Have you ever been to the Guizhou Breeding Center or is this off limits to general public?

18. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The monkeys are possibly from Taman Safari Bogor; The giants pandas that the monkeys were traded for are headed there.

19. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would love to :) And I have never been to the Guizhou snub-nosed monkey breeding center in Fanjingshan, Guizhou Province, I believe it is a off limits facility.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks Zooish for the suggestion. I had not yet considered the giant panda deal. If that is the case the Taman Safari organization has most likely sent on some of the offspring from both zoos that - most definitely - maintain breeding groups of proboscis (TSI in Bogor and TSI II in Prigen.

I will widen my search of news in Bahasa to them too. If I pick up anything I will make sure to pass it on here.