Join our zoo community

Chimpanzee (film)

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Zoofan15, 23 Jul 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For those who don't know, Chimpanzee is a 2012 nature documentary film about a young common chimpanzee named Oscar who finds himself alone in the African forests until he is adopted by another chimpanzee who takes him in and raises him like his own child. The film was released by Disneynature and directed by Alastair Fothergill and Mark Linfield. It is the sixth film produced by the Disneynature label, following Earth, The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos, Oceans, Wings of Life and African Cats (Source Wikipedia).

Having never seen the other Disneynature films, I was reluctant to give this a chance, assuming it was either animated, or real chimpanzees overlaid with human voices. Discovering it was more of a documentary, I sat down to watch it. Overall it was seriously average stuff. The documentary builds to a dramatic fight scene the whole film, which culminates in some log banging and chasing, nothing you wouldn't see in an everyday troop with males displaying etc. Given chimpanzees can rip each others arms off or kill each other, the 'fight' was a lot of hype and dramatization over nothing (not saying I wanted to see chimpanzees getting killed).

It concludes by saying the young chimpanzee has been adopted by the most unlikely animal in the forest (the relatively aggressive and unpredictable alpha male in the troop). While a placid, nurturing female would have been less surprising, you'd hardly say this male was the most unlikely animal in the forest. I think a leaf cutter ant, a hummingbird, or an anaconda as a surrogate mother would be more unlikely