Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Chimpanzee Troop

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chimo, 28 Jul 2013.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga Zoo are doing a gradual introduction of all their chimpanzees to the three new females. They started with the alpha male (Lubutu) and the beta male (Samaki). They have since added Samaki's brother, Shabani, and Lubutu's sister, Lani, as well as low ranking females, Koko and Kamili, and a high ranking female, Shiba, and her two offspring.

They plan to introduce the remaining chimpanzees over the coming weeks, including another two high ranking females, one in particular, which could cause issues.

Basically, as Taronga Zoo predicted, the males have been ecstatic at the arrival of new breeding females, while the resident females have not welcomed the competition and have been a neutral opposition at best. One female even had to be removed because she was being too aggressive.

Yep, the dividing wall was built for exactly this purpose - introductions. The smaller enclosure it creates is not really big enough for the formation of a separate community, but is more than adequate for short term housing in situations like these.

It has also been used in the past when chimpanzees needed time away from the community. A few years ago, when Kamili was pregnant with her second offspring, a high ranking female, Shiba, and her offspring were removed from the troop and housed in this smaller enclosure until the birth. It was believed Shiba could pose a threat to Kamili's newborn as infanticide can occur in this species. Sacha and her offspring went with them so Shiba's youngest daughter, would have the company of Sacha's son who is the same age.

Tafin likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

ZooChat isn't English class, I always enjoy your posts. Most of Taronga's chimps have African names which can be even trickier. Maybe copy and paste the names of the chimpanzee from the TZ website. And keep your photos coming! The more updates on Taronga's new chimpanzee and introductions, the better!

Tafin likes this.
  3. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

Thanks Zoofan15. I will put some photos up shortly I have 5 weeks of photos to go through. Yes some of the Chimp name can be tricky. I'm going to the zoo tomorrow weather permitting or the weekend.

Tafin likes this.
  4. Osprey71

VISIT TO TARONGA ZOO OVER THREE DAYS

This is a combination of information from over three days.

FRIDAY

The new group was in the Large Enclosure.

Naomi has a large swelling and one of the boys (I’m not sure but it could have been shabami) was following her around and actively mating with her during the morning).

The rest of the group were laying in different spots by themselves.

Accept Shiba, Sembe and Sudi who were playing together up the back behind one of the large logs.

Koko was up the back near the night den entry by herself.

Hannah was by herself on one of the platforms.

Ceres has a large swelling as well and was being followed by one to the males. Couldn’t see who it was, but it wasn’t Lubutu. Mating took place several times as well.

Grouping session between four of the chimps in the afternoon. Hannah, Naomi, Ceres and Sembe up on the large platform.

A short time later Ceres and Sembe had a fight before going inside for the afternoon check. It was about 2.50pm.

Both groups were getting agitated and angry with one another.

In the small enclosure.

Kuma with Fumo on her back was being harassed by Fuhari and she turned on him. Teeth bared and arms raised and chased him around the small enclosure with Fumo still handing on.

After being chased by Kuma. Furahi started to perform. He heckled up and stamped his feet and them charge at the widow. were the visitor were watching.

Saturday

Morning at the chimps was uneventful.

Only thing that was going on was Sembe was chasing the duck. Then Sudi joined in and was very close to going in. Shiba was watching very closely.

The main group were in the small enclosure.

Just before the keeper talk they were swapped over.

Ceres is looking good and she is eating well.

I noticed that she has a really bad temper. It is quite scary to watch.

Fumo was playing with Lubutu while they were waiting to go inside. Bitting him on the ear and pulling the hair on his head.

Ceres ran over to Naomi and gave her a cuddle, like when the boys are mating with them.

Sembe and Naomi followed shiba and sudi around a lot. Then followed by the boys.

SUNDAY

Grooming session going on with the member from the old troop and Ceres in the cave.

Ceres was sitting near the window and Sembe had a stick and starting hitting her. Ceres moved away. A short time later she came back and sat next to Lubutu and he gave her a little kiss on the forehead.

Hannah and Naomi were out in the rain on the platform.

Shiba and Sudi were not in the grooming group. I didn’t see them.

INTERESTING OBSERVATION.

Shabami was standing up the back near the cave area. He started crouching down and standing up again. He did this several times. On the last crouch Naomi came running over to him and they actively mated.

Photos will go up shortly still going through them.

Orang-utan News

Jantan and Willow are going to Mogo Zoo??? ?. I thought they were going to orana. The orang exhib is having a lot of work done on it. New board walk and it looks like from the sky safari they have cut to doors in the walls, were the public could see the orang. The two large platforms haven't been removed yet. Looks like a walk through exhibit.

Bolvain golden squirrel monkeys

There are moving from up near the alligators.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
    Tafin and Jambo like this.
  5. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I wonder what caused the change in destination from Orana Park to Mogo? Looking at the map (and having never been to Mogo) I can't see where they would put them?

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Sep 2016
  6. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Mogo is going to need to build a new enclosure as I doubt they'd have any spare enclosures strong enough for such a large ape. They'd probably do this on the site of the Tapir enclosure (next to the gorillas) now that both of their tapirs have died. Overall a great thing for Mogo!

7. Zoofan15

Great update Tigersam, it's good to get some info on the chimpanzees, especially since Taronga haven't done an update since August 31 now!

It sounds like Ceres is doing better, but is now getting aggression from Sembe! Interesting that the two females who have caused the most issues are ones without infants. I think having Fumo and Sudi keep their equally ferocious mothers busy so they don't have the time to redirect their energy into petty squabbles. Don't forget Sembe is eight years old now, by that age Shiba already had her first infant.

How big is Sembe? Is she the same size as any of the adult females, or still noticably smaller?

With regards to the orangutans, I haven't seen Orana's exhibit, but maybe it's too big/impressive to 'waste' on a non breeding pair of hybrids, and is now being used for sumatrans because it can accomodate a larger number of them. Mogo Zoo is really playing second fiddle to other high profile zoos with a non breeding group of gorilla, and now non breeding orangutan.

Tafin likes this.
  8. Zoofan15

Does anyone know if any of the remaining chimpanzee have been introduced yet?

Spitter, Lisa, Sacha, Shona, Kuma, Furahi, Shikamoo, Sule, Fumo, Liwali

I understand Koko has been reintroduced with relatively minor issues.

Shona will be an easy introduction, I'm surprised she's been left this long and I don't think Lisa and Liwali's introduction will be especially problematic. It'll be interesting to see if it empowers Lani to up aggression to the new females, like with Sembe. I doubt she'd be half as antagonistic without her entire family there for support, so they may not have felt the full extent of Lani's power so far.

Tafin likes this.
  9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would this be because Orana Park want to get Sumatran Orangs so don't want to be impeded in that by already taking on these hybrids first ?

10. Zoofan15

I'm guessing that would be the stance/desire of most zoos. Maybe because Orana announced their intention to hold the species earlier than Mogo, they got preference. Similar to bachelor groups/non breeding groups housed at the most recent zoos to join breeding programmes.

Tafin likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

HELP WITH ARTICLE

Does anyone have access to this article?

Infant mortality in mother-reared captive chimpanzees at Taronga Zoo, Sydney - Courtenay - 1988 - Zoo Biology - Wiley Online Library

If so, I'm interested in information on specific chimpanzees mentioned in the article.

From the internet, I can see mention of Spitter's daughter, Sheba (born 1978) who was killed at the age of three months during a fight between adults, Lulu's male twins who were attacked by the...??? and Mary, who attacked two infants, injuring one so badly it had to be euthanised.

Tafin likes this.
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exactly, and any new holders that take bachelor Gorillas or hybrid Orangs then find they can't easily change and/or progress to a breeding group or purebred animals.

The more far-sighted organisation may try to avoid this pitfall, by somehow holding out for breeding animals or purebreds if they can..

13. Osprey71

Zoofan15. I think I still have a copy on my computer. I can private message it to you.

14. Osprey71

Hi Zoofan15 I looked and I cant find my copy but I did find Fifty Years of Chimpanzee Demography at Taronga Park Zoo. If you would like a copy. It is interesting reading.

15. Osprey71

I also found the 2009 European stud book if anyone wants a copy.

Tafin likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

That's true, especially with such long lived species such as the Great Apes, or giraffes. It'll be interesting to see what Auckland Zoo do with their two remaining Bornean orangutans and their hybird as they plan to acquire Sumatran orangutans in 2017.

Werribee seem to be stuck with their bachelor group but some options may open up for Mogo Zoo when Kibabu passes.

17. Zoofan15

Thanks but I found that article back in 2014/2015. I used it last year to calculate the DOB of female's offspring, which I posted on this thread, however I was only able to work out the month and the year, so was pleased to get some additional info this year which allowed me to list the offspring, their gender, DOB and name of each females offspring, which I have posted in this thread.

If you or anyone has access to this article though I would be much appreciative :D:D:D

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.1430070107/abstract

Last edited: 6 Oct 2016
    Tafin likes this.
  18. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

I could go to the uni library next to my TAFE and see if they have a subscription to Wiley articles... they should, they have all of the other ones we've looked for...

Wouldn't be until next week sometime though...

T.

19. Osprey71

Tafin likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Cool, thank you both for your help. It's always interesting to learn more about the chimpanzees and gain background into the data that is available.

Spitter is an interesting case. She was born in 1960 and gave birth to several offspring, all of which died, before the birth of her first surviving offspring (Sacha) in 1980. Her next two offspring born 1985 and 1988 also survived to adulthood, so it's interesting to learn the cause of death for some of her many offspring that died prior to these three.

Tafin likes this.