Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Chimpanzee Troop

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chimo, 28 Jul 2013.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chimpanzee Community Update

Taronga Zoo have posted an update on their Chimpanzee community:

Four months on from the sudden death of Lubutu, a new alpha male has still not emerged. I’m really amazed that Furahi hasn’t taken the alpha position in these four months. He has the most ambition of all the males; and has the support two high ranking females - Lisa and Kuma. His inability to take the position (or reluctance to do so) may indicate his support from the community as a whole is lacking. Shikamoo may have little interest in the role; but is highly popular; and has the support of his brother, Sule.

Adult Males:

1.0 Shabani (1994) Monte x Shiba
    1.0 Samaki (2001) Lubutu x Shiba
    1.0 Furahi (2003) Lubutu x Kuma
    1.0 Shikamoo (2003) Lubutu x Sacha
    1.0 Sule (2008) Lubutu x Sacha

Whatever male assumes the alpha role, his reign may be brief as the three juvenile males will enter adolescence (and the hierarchy) in the next two years; potentially leading to another shake up.

Juvenile Males:

1.0 Fumo (2013) Shikamoo x Kuma
    1.0 Sudi (2014) Shikamoo x Shiba
    1.0 Liwali (2014) Samaki x Lisa

Zorro, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  2. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I wonder if Fumo and Sudi will support their brothers or make their own play for alpha.

3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At the moment I would think Fumo and Sudi would be more likely to form an alliance with their older brother/s rather than go for the Alpha role. Lubutu took the Alpha role aged eight, and his eldest son Samaki formed a brotherly alliance with Shabani to attempt to overthrow Lubutu when he was only 8. Fumo's now six and a half, and Sudi's now almost 6, so they could (if they wanted to), make a play for the Alpha role within the next two-three years.

Tbh, I'm quite surprised Furahi hasn't gone for it, as he has the support from at least two adult females (both who where the top two high ranking during Lubutu's reign), his mother, Kuma, and Lisa. He also has the support from another of the five adult males, Shikamoo, and even possibly Shikamoo's brother, Sule.

Shikamoo is a pretty laid-back boy, and has favouring from a lot of the adult females. Even with this, I wouldn't put him in contention for the Alpha role, but, he could be a handy beta if he decides to form an alliance with either Sule (if Sule attempts to go for the Alpha position), or Furahi.

Zoofan15 and Tafin like this.
  4. Zoofan15

I think the only thing we can guarantee is that Shabani won’t be alpha anytime soon. Last I heard, he was behind Samaki, Furahi and Shikamoo in ranking; and he’s probably behind Sule now too. I can imagine him being too proud (not to anthropomorphise or anything) to support his younger brother; so will likely remain low ranking. Shiba notoriously focuses her attention on her youngest offspring; as opposed to Kuma, who’d back Furahi all the way.

I agree Fumo and Sudi are too young to challenge for the alpha role; and it’s realistically at least another couple of years before their support will count for anything. If Fumo was just a bit older, this would really fall into place for Furahi, who could breeze into the role.

In the meantime, Sule is the wildcard here. Taronga haven’t released a lot of info on the community recently so little is known about his ambition for power. As a juvenile, he was exceptionally social and would have carried through these relationships through to adulthood. Although I can’t see any of the adult males supporting the younger Sule as his beta; his friendly interactions with the three juvenile males could see one of them step up and work together to overthrow any of the current obvious candidates.

Tafin likes this.
  5. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

How many families are in the community now? Shona is her own family right?

6. Zoofan15

There are eight families (family can continue through females in bold):

1) Kuma (1991), Furahi (2003) and Fumo (2013)

2) Shiba (1981), Shabani (1994), Samaki (2001), Sembe (2008), Sudi (2014) and Safiri (2019)

3) Lisa (1979) and Liwali (2014)

4) Spitter (1960), Sacha (1980), Shikamoo (2003) and Sule (2008)

5) Ceres (1990) and Cebeli (2017)

6) Naomi (2001)

7) Kamili (1995)

8) Shona (1987)

Shiba and Shona are from the same maternal line, but are regarded as seperate families as they had different mothers and show little affiliation to each other. Similarly, Ceres and Naomi are sisters, but lived in different exhibits at the Givskud Zoo. They met for the first time when they arrived in Australia in 2015.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  7. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Wow. So of the eight families, half won't continue. I guess some new imports could be needed.

8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps obtaining some of those ex lab Chimps from the USA could be possible did they not send some to some of the US zoos?, I believe there were about 100?

Tafin likes this.
  9. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea. Taronga could be a perfect home for them.

10. Zoofan15

Taronga Zoo commented in their Q&A that the genetics from the new females would sustain the community for the next 50 years. This statement was made before the export of Hannah (which reduced the import to two sisters); and possibly before the import of the two females from Kolmarden was cancelled.

With this in mind, it’s probably reasonable to halve that estimation. They currently have 20 chimpanzee, so (allowing for mortality of up to two chimps) could probably afford to breed four to six infants in the next five years.

Personally I’d allocate a third infant to Kuma; a second infant to Ceres; and a first infant to Naomi and Sembe as a starting point. I’d favour not importing more females at this stage, as it’ll allow decent use to be made of these four reproductive age females.

The labs could be an excellent source of new genetics; but I think Taronga would concerned about the challenge of taking on chimps with an abnormal social background. The 2015 imports took almost two years to integrate.

Jambo, Tafin and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please correct me if I am wrong do I take it that there are only three breeding groups now in the country Taronga, Monarto and Rockhamton zoo?
    In regards to the US Lab Chimps I do seem to remember that they were taken to some large holding area with room to roam out doors if correct perhaps by now they could of picked up proper chimp ways?

12. Zoofan15

The females at Sydney Zoo are off contraception, though I don’t know if they will be open to exchanging with the other zoos in the future.

It’s unlikely tbh. Great apes have a critical learning period of eight to twelve years and after that, it’s difficult for them to learn new behaviour. This is why it’s so difficult to integrate handraised chimps. Kamili (1995) at Taronga was raised by her mother within a natural community; but has learnt mismothering from her handraised mother and as a result, cannot raise her own infants.

The biggest factor in whether lab chimps could be successfully introduced is what social background they have. If they lived with a small number of chimps, the chance would be slim of them thriving in a community. There’s been examples in the region of chimpanzees with abnormal social development due to living in small groups of six chimps or less.

Jambo, Tafin and Zorro like this.
  13. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Do you mean like the Tea Party Chimps?

14. Zoofan15

That’s a whole different social issue on it’s own. I was referring to Fimi and Sanda, who lived in a small group at Adelaide prior to their move to Hamilton Zoo. Fimi especially had a hard time adjusting as she was used to living as the highest ranking female in her small group and didn’t get on with the females (or Luka) at Hamilton.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  15. Jambo

Well, it seems like Taronga are going in a different direction than they were in the past, where they were continuing lines through female offspring. Now days, Taronga seem to be mimicking Chimpanzee life in the wild, by exporting female offspring, retaining male offspring, and importing females to breed with their male offspring.

If Monarto are going the same way as TZ, than in the next 5 years, they could swap Sembe and Zuri, and then in the distant future, Cebeli and Hope. Capri will also be extremely genetically valuable in the region, but Chiku is distantly related to the TZ troop through her father (Luka).

Last edited: 5 Apr 2020
    Zorro, Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Jambo

It does seem a bright idea genetic wise, but considering the amount of issues TZ has experienced socially with Koko and Kamili (and their reluctance to raise offspring), I think they would be a bit hesitant here in importing ex-lab chimps. It’s still a possibility, and America certainly has plenty of candidates. Most are old now though, and post-reproductive, so will be little use breeding wise.

17. Jambo

I’ve heard Tsotsi too struggled socially at Monarto. He seems to have adapted now, and he seems to have the favouring of the new girls, Hannah and Lani.

Lucy’s the alpha female at Hamilton isn’t she?

18. Zoofan15

I’m not surprised re. Tsotsi as he’d grown up only living with females prior to his introduction to Sandali, Boyd and Gombe at the age of 20. Tsotsi’s father died when he was three years old and he grew up with four females - two of which had died by 2009.

Yes, Lucy is the alpha female. Luka is highly protective of Sanda though, which means she enjoys a comfortable rank also.

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  19. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

It can't be easy for Kamili having no family at Taronga now. I think she should join the others at Monarto. Two (half) of the females at Monarto will probably never breed (Lani and Galatea).

Last edited: 5 Apr 2020
  20. Zoofan15

If they want Kamili to breed, then that’s her best option as Taronga won’t handraise chimpanzee infants. The fact that Kamili will never raise offspring (and has no family support) means she will always be low ranking in Taronga’s community; as will Shona. They are currently the lowest ranking, just behind Naomi and Sembe. Naomi has confidence, is popular with the community and will eventually breed (which will increase her status); while Sembe receives occasional support from her family.

Shona has had it the toughest, as she was effectively orphaned at the age of five with her mother Sutu’s export; and due to being sterilised (to control population growth), has never had the chance to breed. Shona used to have a close relationship with Lubutu, so it’d be interesting to know how she’s adapted. She was mentioned in the video.

Jambo, Zorro and Tafin like this.