Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Chimpanzee Troop

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chimo, 28 Jul 2013.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think Sembe would make an excellent mother. Shiba is a near perfect mother and Sembe would have learnt a lot from her.

Sembe’s line is not known for alloparenting like some of the other lines are. They focus on their own offspring, but they do it well. In terms of regional statistics, her line has a near perfect success rate in rearing offspring to adulthood:

- Her grandmother Suzie had nine offspring - eight survived to adulthood (the one that didn’t was a twin that died at birth).

- Her mother Shiba has had six offspring. All have survived except for one that died of an infection at the age of two.

- Her aunt Sutu had three offspring. All survived to adulthood.

- Her cousin Samantha has had three offspring. All survived to adulthood.

Sembe is 12 years old - around the age wild chimpanzees give birth to their first offspring, though it’s unlikely she’ll be allowed to breed until her late teens.

Jambo, marmolady, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  2. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Which groups had rivalries?

3. T J

T J Member

For the zoo's sake and privacy, I'm not going to go into that.

4. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Okay, PM me then. I'd love to hear more.

5. T J

T J Member

I'm sorry, I won't tell you - Not even in PM's. Feel free to contact the zoo though...I'm just not sure they want that info going around on zoochat.

6. Zoofan15

Separation of chimpanzees is only carried out for drastic reasons (i.e. the life of an individual is in danger); and it is not viewed as a way to manage day to day hierarchy disputes or rivalries that occur as a part of normal social interaction. Seperating two animals having a conflict will only delay them working towards a resolution and is counter-productive to any progress that had been made.

In 2013, ahead of the the birth of Kamili’s second infant; Shiba and her offspring were removed from the community as Shiba was believed to be a threat to the newborn. Sacha and her line joined them in the netted exhibit, so Sule and Sembe would have each other’s company.

In 2014, Koko and Kamili were removed as they were both pregnant and it was believed they would be more successful if they gave birth in isolation. Unfortunately this was not the case.

There was significant difficulty introducing the three females from Poland; with a split off group living in the netted exhibit throughout much of 2015-2017. Koko was the main instigator of conflicts; and Hannah was removed from the community as unlike Ceres and Naomi, she had been unable to build up sufficient support. Ceres gained the protection of Lubutu early on; and Naomi soon formed a good relationship with Sembe (who as an adolescent, was similarly trying to find her place in the hierarchy).

This was all widely discussed online at the time, with much of the info coming directly from the zoo.

Jungle Man, Tafin, ReaganM and 2 others like this.
  7. Osprey 71

Osprey 71 New Member

Some great news from Taronga Zoo on 7th October 2020, while on exhibit Naomi had a baby.

Statement from Taronga Zoo Facebook.

Taronga Zoo Sydney
    ·
    We are thrilled to announce that our renowned chimpanzee group has welcomed a tiny, new addition with a female baby being born to mother Naomi on Wednesday the 7th October.
    The baby was born at 11am to the delight of watching guests and in a special turn of events, also arrived on the 104th Anniversary of the opening of Taronga Zoo.
    Keepers have reported that the new baby, who is yet to be named, and mum Naomi are doing well. While Naomi is quite protective of her baby, guests will be able to spot some cute glimpses of the new arrival this weekend and over the coming weeks.

Jungle Man, Jambo, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Update:

This Friday marks a year since the passing of Lubutu. There’s been no progress within the community in a new alpha rising to take his place. Samaki has significant support. He has a strong rapport with the females and Ceres acts as if he is the alpha. Ceres remains a low ranking female, but could elevate her position in the hierarchy if she supports Samaki's rise to alpha. Samaki however, remains reluctant to take on the alpha role.

There has been some rivalry between Furahi and Shikamoo; nothing of concern, more them jostling for position in the hierarchy, as they are the next highest ranking after Samaki. Interestingly, Sule has developed a close relationship with Furahi as of late and has been supporting him. This appears to be the only alliance between the adult males at present.

Personally, I don’t believe any leadership changes will happen until Fumo, Sudi and Liwali enter the hierarchy in the next year or two and lend their support as allies to the adult males. Based on their associations/friendly interactions, the likely avenues of support are Fumo > Furahi or Shikamoo; Sudi > Samaki or Shikamoo; and Liwali > Samaki.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2020
    marmolady, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  9. T J

T J Member

Hi! Just a quick edit suggestion; Lubutu passed away on the 4/12/19 (two days away still).

Zoofan15 likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

My bad, I had this ready to post tomorrow; but decided to post this avo and forgot to change. Thanks for noticing - and before the one hour editing time limit. :cool:

11. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I can see a Furahi, Sule and Fumo coalition!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  12. Zoofan15

I'd like to see that as Kuma's family are my favourite; however the support is there for Samaki, so in my opinion, a coalition of Samaki, Sudi and Liwali is more probable. I'd imagine this would be more stable over time versus a coaltion led by Furahi, who has the potential to become a tyrant.

The community has had a tyrant for a leader before (Sonny) and they never last long in the position, as they don't have the support/respect of the females.

The other way it could go, is Fumo could in a few years make a bid for alpha. He's too young at present (no adult male would accept a male barely into adolescence as their alpha); but Fumo is well liked within the community and spends a lot of time networking with the others. If he has the ambition to become alpha; combined with his size, it could be within his reach in a few years. It'd be near impossible to overthrow a Samaki led coaltion; but if Furahi is alpha; or there is still no alpha, this is a not unlikely oppotunity for Fumo.

Tafin, Jambo and marmolady like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Jojo

For those that are interested, I recently came across photo of Jojo from 1979, when he was 15 years of age: TUG-OF-WAR WITH A CHIMP - Its part of a day at the new style Taronga Zoo - The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982) - 7 Nov 1979

Jojo was born at Taronga Zoo 18/09/1964 to Bobby and Fifi and became the alpha male at the age of 10, when Bobby died. He remained the alpha male until his export to Jackson Zoo in 1986.

Jojo sired 24 offspring at Taronga Zoo. The most notable are: Lisa (born 1979 to Lisa), Sacha (born 1980 to Spitter), Ficha (born 1981 to Fifi), Shiba (born 1981 to Susie), Cara (born 1981 to Chiki), Samantha (born 1983 to Sutu) and Sally (born 1985 to Spitter).

I can really see his daughter Shiba; and granddaughter, Kuma (daughter of Ficha), in him:

upload_2020-12-10_14-37-53.png

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  14. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I can also see Lubutu in him in the face shape. Lubutu is his grandson via Lisa.

15. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And Sandali has quite a resemblance as well— I can see he definitely left his mark on later generations!

Tafin likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

The son of two wild born chimpanzees (Bobby and Fifi) - it’d be fascinating to know what genetic make up Jojo had. I’m thinking Central chimpanzee genes from Fifi, as several of her descendants are very large e.g. Shiba, Kuma; and something else (maybe Western chimpanzee) from Bobby, as none of his offspring from the other females appeared to be anything above average size.

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Chimpanzee Update - January 2021:

Since the birth of Niambi three months ago, Naomi has been spending the majority of her time with Ceres and Cebele; and more recently, with Shiba and her family. The latter was rarely seen associating with Naomi prior to Niambi’s birth, but it appears having an infant has motivated Naomi to improve her ranking in the troop by networking with high ranking chimpanzees in the community.

Shiba is the highest ranking female and having infants close in age, means an association between Shiba and Naomi was inevitable. Shiba formed a similar close relationship with Sacha, following the birth of their respective infants in 2008 - which continued for several years. Naomi has also long sustained a friendship with Shiba’s 12 year old daughter, Sembe, who was one of the first females to accept Naomi into the community.

Shiba and Naomi are often seen resting next to each other during the afternoon; and recently, Naomi was seen guiding Safiri to follow Shiba, after Samaki initiatiated a group move. This was significant as it showed Shiba’s trust in Naomi to assist Safiri, which has not to date been extended to any other adults outside her immediate family.

Naomi maintains a close relationship with her sister, Ceres; and niece, Cebele. Ceres adores Samaki (the sire of Cebele) and fully supports him as the alpha male of the community. It’s not hard to imagine a super power evolving between these two families (Shiba and Ceres/Naomi) in the future, especially if Samaki takes the alpha position; and as other families decrease in power.

Kuma remains a high ranking female, currently second in the hierarchy, but puts very little effort into social interaction and networking. She spends most of her time alone, or with Fumo; and her status is almost solely attributed to her size and aggressive nature. Furahi appears to take after his mother in this regard. He’s the most aggressive of the males and as a result has little support for being the alpha. His current ally is Sule, one of the lowest ranking adult males.

Jambo, marmolady and Tafin like this.
  18. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

How does Kuma get on with Ceres and Naomi?

19. Zoofan15

Up until recently, Kuma had a strong rivalry with both of them. This was believed to originate from Fumo’s relationship with Cebele. Fumo would play with her and then have tantrums, sometimes hitting Ceres. Ceres would discipline him or hit him back, which would evoke the wrath of Kuma. Naomi was then drawn in to protect her sister and niece from Kuma (who is significantly bigger than them).

Recently, Fumo has abandoned Cebele in favour of Safiri. He still has tantrums (and hits Shiba), but Shiba is more tolerant of his nonsense and doesn’t hit him back.

Since then, Kuma and Ceres have got on better. They’ve been resting next to each other in close proximity on occasions. There’s been no evidence of reconciliation between Kuma and Naomi, but this may just be Naomi choosing to distance herself and her newborn.

Zorro and Tafin like this.
  20. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Are any of the females off contraception? Or are they happy with the infants they have for now?

Zorro likes this.