Join our zoo community

Chimpanzees in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by ShonenJake13, 31 Jan 2017.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So that's Susi, Chispi and M....what of Moritz, the male at Veszprem?

2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No idea, he will probably move out of Veszprem too...the official report from Dvůr doesnt talk about that. The only thing that is mentioned there is the fact, that Susi wasn´t supposed to come but after negotiations with Veszprem, Důr decided to take her too, so she wouldn´t suffer the stres from being separated from the rest of the group.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

S.J. your info about Belgrade zoo is incorrect; I have yesterday visited the zoo and it has 1.3.1(adult) chimpanzees. The male was kept separate, another 4 were in a group of which 3 were females and I couldn't see what is the sex of the fourth, that was constantly lying at the platform, chimpanzee. I have photos of them :)

4. ShonenJake13

A baby chimpanzee has been born at Loro Parque in the onshow chimp group to parents Silvi and Churrero. She has been named Happy. This brings the Spanish chimp total to 100.

5. Manon_JGIG

Manon_JGIG New Member

Hi all, I am working on a list world-wide :)

What about Jagodina Zoo in Serbia? Does anyone know if they still hold chimp(s)?

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I've sent an emal to Jagodina zoo; On their website there are info about chimpanzees, but it is not stated with certainty whether they have chimpanzees; In their gallery there are not photos of chimpanzees.

One for sure, the Belgrade zoo has 5 chimpanzees (I saw them last 4th of April), for sure 3 were females, one male, and I had not observed the sex of the fourth chimp. The females were separated from the male.

7. ShonenJake13

Changes in the Amersfoort group... western female Mahale moved from Bremerhaven to Amersfoort in 2015(!) and western female Bini has moved to Neuwied.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does Rio Safari Elche no longer house a male? Is anyone familiar with the zoo's chimpanzee collection? I can't find any information about them in the studbook.

9. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nope, the last male died after the youngest female Lola was born in 2013. She was born to Alpha female Bahia (Listed as La Negra). Most of their group where confiscated by the Spanish government and given to Elche. the group is made of Bahia, her daughters Troy, Susi, Lola and other females Naomi and Andrea

Last edited: 28 May 2017
  10. marmolady

Thanks!

11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first post that started this thread was really informative. Thanks to @ShonenJake13 for digging up all this info. It must have taken forever.

I'd incorrectly assumed the majority of chimpanzees in Europe were purebreds and they were trying to get rid of their few remaining hybrids, but I see that there is a huge number of hybrids, 15 females at a zoo in Sweden alone, across Europe.

A number of Australasian Zoos - Taronga, Monarto, Hamilton and Wellington, have been in need of more chimpanzee for a while but only Taronga have recently acquired three. It seems there is a large supply if the other three zoos wish to import.

12. marmolady

A couple of the girls in Sweden were ear-marked for Taronga, but I'm not sure if it's intended to happen still considering how long and painful the current Taronga intros have been.

Though there are many hybrids in Europe, not many appear to be 'available'. Monarto has been trying for many, many months to bring over a couple (or more) females, but nothing seems to have come up. Of course, with chimpanzees, removing any individuals can have a larger knock-on effect to the rest of the group, so any such decisions have to be based on a lot more than just subspecies and genetics. I do think that it would be better for Australasia to work with the American SSP instead of the EEP with regards to chimps; the fact that both regions manage them on a species makes a lot more sense for transfers and cooperation in the long term.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm under the impression they won't be joining the community now as originally planned. This may change however if Hannah is moved on from Taronga. As far as I can tell, Hannah has been the main obstacle throughout the introductions with Naomi settling in well from the start and Ceres adjusting well after a difficult few weeks. With Naomi beginning only 14 years old when she arrived at Taronga, I don't doubt her young age assisted in her making a successful introduction, especially given this is around the natural age for immigration into a new community in the wild (typically 8-14 years).

The ideal candidates for export are obviously adolescent females, preferably daughters of females who will not suffer due to their export (ie. have offspring still in the community for support). Europe must have many females in this category so hopefully some can be found soon for Monarto Zoo.

On a positive, Monarto has been making good use of Zombi, and will hopefully breed from her again next year or the year after. It seems so pointless to go to the effort of introducing a new female and then not make use of her. Personally, I believe Taronga Zoo should just concentrate on breeding the females they now have including Kuma and the new females, rather than importing more from Sweden etc. which will limit the reproductive oppotunities for each female.

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. scuttleclaw

scuttleclaw Active Member

Hi I am the new one around here :)

I just saw that someone posted the info that Fifi gave birth to Ozouri on 02.02.2017 at Basel Zoo. But no info about Obaye (he was born on 27.09.2017h - is mother is Kitoko, Fifi's sister (formerly known as Gertruide)).

16. scuttleclaw

Sadly Nkombe (2016, mother: Kitoko) is no longer with us. He died very young. (I don't know how old he was when he died, but he was less than a year old).

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just out of interest, where and when was the last Common Chimpanzee birth in the UK(or Ireland)?

18. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The last successful birth was Velu at Edinburgh in 2014

ifesbob and Pertinax like this.
  19. scuttleclaw

ShonenJake13 and MagpieGoose like this.
  20. marmolady

UK chimpanzee news:

Female infant born to Zee Zee at Chester Zoo last month, has been given the name 'Stevie' in line with the zoo's music theme for their chimpanzees' names (after Stevie Nicks).

Female infant born to Tara at Wingham Wildlife Park in January has recently been named 'Elizabeth'.

Sadly, Peggy, a resident of Monkey World (Hananya's group) died of a heart condition this month.