Join our zoo community

Chimpanzees in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 2 Mar 2016.

1. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

I've no idea.

2. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

It looks like Toto (Drayton Manor) has found a new home at Cefn yr Erw.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's nice for him. Hope they can integrate him with some others, but at least he'll see other Chimps again anyway.

How many years was he alone at Drayton Manor?

4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe 11 years

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He's already seen them and hopefully he is going to live in Tubman's band of retired gentlemen in a newly extended enclosure.

6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So Tubman, Jason and Charley?

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The local paper ( South Wales Evening Post ) had an article about Toto last night . Quote - ' Toto is already showing signs of a positive outcome to integrate with Tubman and Jason , but total integration will only occur when the sanctuary and carers feel the time is right '

No mention of Charley . I wonder if they still have him ?

8. ShonenJake13

I think they might not if I'm honest. No recent mention of him on their Facebook page, either in Twmi's group or Tubman's....

9. qsa_vortex

qsa_vortex New Member

Have you got an updated list for this year? :)

10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are now only 15 chimpanzees at Edinburgh Zoo - Louis, Lucy, Eva, Sophie, Lianne, Heleen, Qafzeh, Kilimi, Rene, Paul, Frek, Edith, Liberius, Velu and Masindi.

11. ShonenJake13

Belfast Zoo - Kim Phoebe Sophie Lucy Pixie

Blair Drummond Safari Park and Adventure Park - Chippy, Jill

Chester Zoo - Boris Nicky Friday Dylan Eric Carlos Jeff, Rosie Farthing Mandy Sally Layla Alice Zee-Zee Vila Chrissie Patti Stevie Annie Toyah

Colchester Zoo - Tombe Tumba, Tara Kora Talia

Dudley Zoo - Fanny Mandy Barbie Malaika Binti Mali Banika

Edinburgh Zoo - Louis Qafzeh Rene Paul Frek Liberius Velu, Lucy Eva Sophie Lianne Heleen Kilimi Edith Masindi

Monkey World - Busta Jestah Buxom Micky Butch Kyko Mojo Rocky Freddy Pacito Paco Gamba Arfur Hananya Simon Çarli Semach Seamus Bryan Rodders Kangoo Bart, Bixa Cindy Grisby Cathy Beth Clin Peppa Lola Naree Chatta Trudy Cherri Athena Lulu Jess Valerie Eveline Marjoline Honey Kuki Sasha Zeynep Patricia Johni Tutti Kiki Eddi Ash Thelma

Twycross Zoo - Jambo Flynn Jomar Peter Tommy Kibali, Coco Samantha Holly Josie Victoria Tuli

Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary - Toto Bili Twmi Fergus Ronnie, Nakima

Welsh Mountain Zoo - Sixpence, Mabel Menolly Tuppence Jill Katie Jessie Euro Rupee Dalasi

Wingham Wildlife Park - Fritz Lucas, Georgia Elvira Faye Agatha Tara Elizabeth

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo - Phil Grant Elvis, Koko Bonnie

JurassicMax and Crowthorne like this.
  12. Reptile House

Reptile House Well-Known Member

Can more than one male co-exist in the same enclosure? Are these not like gorillas where you have a dominant male?

13. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

Chester has multiple males and I think most zoos do, there is usually a dominant male but they can be challenged and overturned by another chimp if one is stronger so I think zoos may limit the amount of males they keep to avoid injury and possible death

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  14. GA21

GA21 Member

Yes, chimps naturally live in multi-male/multi-female groups. It’s actually very important for group dynamics to have multiple males, although it can become challenging for zoos to manage when hierarchy changes occur. But again, this is completely natural chimp behaviour.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  15. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how easy it is to establish a new chimpanzee troop? It seemed over the years more zoos have lost them then gained them and I was just wondering why that is

16. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking Toto at WAMS is older than Boris at Chester? I’ve heard a number of people say that Boris is the oldest male in the UK, but I think Toto is 58, whereas Boris will be 57.

17. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do any zoos have pure groups? I may be wrong but I was under the impression most captive chimpanzees are of varying subspecies and so aren't really ideal for Conservation efforts as opposed to say - captive groups of other great apes like Bornean and Sumatran orangutans, Bonobos or Western Lowland Gorillas.

Charles likes this.
  18. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Several zoos do have pure groups of chimpanzees (or atleast mostly pure groups) however as has been noted elsewhere on the forum, only breeding from pure animals is not sustainable in the long term.

There are three subspecies of Bornean orang-utan, so there is no guarantee that (infact extremely unlikely) the captive populations are pure. Same applies to Sumatran orangutan in zoos, with a paper being published last year that showed part of the American population is hybridised with Tapanuli orangutan.

Perseus6 likes this.
  19. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okay. But for example, you would now expect identified individuals in the NA population with Tapanuli DNA to be phased out of any Sumatran breeding programme.

So I think it makes sense if chimpanzees are being slowly phased out for that reason in several zoos where populations are very hybridised. Especially considering how often they are divided into subspecies as opposed to say orangutans where conservation seems to be very focused at a species level and taxonomy of subspecies is heavily debated.

Chimpanzees are more similar to gorillas in that regard. The subspecies are rather distinct and clear.

20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are far too many hybrids within the worldwide population to form a sustainable purebred population.