Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Chimpanzee's

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TerieBella, 24 Apr 2012.

1. TerieBella

TerieBella New Member

I know this is going to sound like a really weird question, but my granddad has asked me to find out..

He seem's to remember watching a show on TV (I assume to be Animal Park) that mentioned that there used to be Chimps @ Longleat, that were placing sticks and branches into the water surrounding the island, in what seemed to be a 'escape' attempt. This is why they placed gorillias on the island instead.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

2. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I remember seeing something about that, and them taking the keepers rowing boat to get off the island.
    :eek:

3. TerieBella

TerieBella New Member

Yeaaah he said that to!!!

Oh at least it wasnt his imagination :p

Wonder why I cant find anything on line.. :s

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

The most possible answer for why it isn't online is because the Gorillas at Longleat (Nico and when she was still there, Samba) have been there since 1986 (?) but I remember Nico moving to Bristol in 1990/91 on loan to try and breed with a female there and possible Samba as I think she went too. But neither did breed and were returned a few months/years later.

I seem to remember the Animal Park episode when the Chimps did jump onto the boat. I don't have much detail or information to hand though.

5. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I think your grandad saw it on animal park, there was a lot of old footage in the last series.

I found this old film on YouTube that shows chimp island (the hippo stuff made my jaw drop)

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

An excellent video, thanks for posting - I think one or both of the Hippos, were one of the 'tamer' ones which was mentioned a few years ago by a keeper named Mark Tie, If I remember correctly.

7. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

That looks much bigger than the existing island??

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't access that video without going onto Youtube, but if I remember correctly, Chimps were originally held on the gorilla island (it was then called 'Man-Ape Island':rolleyes: ) and they later moved to a manmade 'island' on the Lake shore somewhere near the hippos- this was created by excavating a wide semi-circular trench around a section of land on the bank.

Not sure if its still there or was filled in after they left.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2012
  9. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

That explains it-the island in this old you tube footage would be much better suited to a group of gorillas than the more recent arrangement-with not only more space but more trees and cover. The house leaves allot to be desired though..seemingly being just a shed accessed via a mesh tunnel.

Have you viewed the footage yet Pertinax?

10. Pertinax

That's Safari Parks for you;) or at least it was in those days. The indoor housing on the Gorilla Island is very primitive too, one reason the EEP would not advance them gorillas in the past and they had to get them by private deals. Obviously the new Gorilla Housing being completed now will (I hope!) be of a much higher standard than that.

11. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Would Longleat extend Nicos island when he dies for the later breeding pair?Many thanks,Whitelion

12. Pertinax

No idea what they plan. The indoor housing would probably need to be upgraded before any other animals(Gorillas or otherwise) used it. Islands surrounded by water are inherently dangerous for Great Apes anyway- one Gorilla male living on Longleat's island drowned in the past.

If they do get a breeding group as well, they might put the males on the old island instead but this is probably looking well into the future anyway- females really aren't that easily available, even now.