Join our zoo community

chimps escape (and killed) at Oasis Park

Discussion in 'Canary Islands' started by Chlidonias, 29 Jun 2015.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Canary Islands zoo primates escape and attack three staff members | Daily Mail Online

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is horrible, isn't it the second time chimps have escaped in the Canary Islands in a few months?

Oh, I've checked, I beg their pardon, it was Majorca.

Really people, check how secure your chimps are :(

3. Chlidonias

where it says "... human error was to blame, with the animals escaping after ‘an incident in the security protocol’...", that sounds very much like somebody left a door unlocked.

4. OrangePerson

Devastating for someone to make that mistake, I'd spend half my day going back and checking locks if I were a keeper. Still if they've got a second line of defence they could get out, but not OUT, which has happened at both Twycross and Chester in the last few years I recall.

5. Chlidonias

I'd say even more personally devastating for the person involved (if that is what happened) because they would know they were directly responsible for the chimps' deaths. Really sad situation all round.

With your last sentence, do you mean chimps have got out through one door at Twycross and Chester, but were retained by a second door? Or the opposite, that at those zoos chimps also got out completely?

6. OrangePerson

That's what I was saying really!

On both occasions the chimps got out of where they should be but were always within a secure area.

Panic for 5,000 visitors at Chester Zoo as 30 chimpanzees escape enclosure

Ice cream and fizzy drinks avert mass chimpanzee escape bid at Twycross Zoo

Both appear amusing in the retelling (the Chester chimps cause much less damage than you'd imagine but the kettle turned up outside some time later) but must be terrifying, not just for your own safety (and the public's) but fear of the consequences for the chimps if it escalates.