Join our zoo community

China breaks down dams to save giant salamanders

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 27 Mar 2019.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I find this as a really incredible and superfantastic new. China has some history with the destruction of its endangered species, and they built more and more giant dams that already made disappear big charismatic species lke the Baiji and the Chinese paddlefish, and several others are in critical threat. So I'm surprised that they are doing such a good and fantastic act for protect a bit less charismatic species. VERY GOOD DONE!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):)

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Apr 2019
    Mbwamwitu likes this.
  4. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it's also important that China get credit for getting things right in the conservation space. Of course, China has been the bane of endangered species for a few decades now, but Westerners and the West played that role through the 1800s and 1900s, and still fuel a lot of climate change, habitat destruction, etc. Like the West grew into a conservation ethic over the years, China seems to be developing its own version of that, with fits and starts like the tiger/rhino farming debacle.

@FunkyGibbon once I think talked about how Chinese nationalism and the sense of the state's achievements factor into conservation policy there, so let's hope the giant salamander gets its rightful place alongside the panda as a symbol of Chinese success!

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Apr 2019