Join our zoo community

Chobe National Park visit

Discussion in 'Botswana' started by MRJ, 5 May 2022.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This trip happened in 2018 so the report is a little late but I thought people might be interested anyway. For me it was an important trip because it really got me into listing my wildlife observations.

An invitation to a family wedding in Johannesburg led to my wife and I visiting Africa for the first time in March 2018. Naturally we wanted to view some wildlife in the short time available, and the initial thought was of course Kruger. However, somebody recommended Chobe National Park in Botswana and a further recommendation led us to the Bakwana Eco-lodge in Kasane. We booked in for four nights, and as rates are fully inclusive including two game drives per day, this suited African neophytes like us.

Kasane is located at the north-east corner of the national park on the Chobe River with Namibia on the northern bank. It is also an easy drive to Victoria Falls and many tourists take a day trip to Chobe NP from there. Most other guests only stayed a night or two but staying slightly longer enabled us to get to know the staff and their culture a little better. We were also able to develop a relationship with our guide who by the end of our stay was doing everything he could to allow me to see the animals I was interested in.

Wildlife watching was easy, with a morning and afternoon game drive every day in open-sided four-wheel drive vehicles with a capacity of up to 10 guests and a driver/guide. While some vehicles we saw on drives were packed we never had more than one other couple with us. The guide was excellent, very knowledgeable and willing to help. Wildlife guiding is obviously a prestigious job in Botswana, one for which he had to complete an extensive course to qualify.

We were not allowed to leave the vehicle except at designated rest spots. Honestly, I could not see the difference between the rest spots and where the lions were resting one kilometre down the track, but it all seems to work. Every evening drive included a stop for a sundowner.

There were of course other vehicles around, though not enough to annoy or hinder us. There were a lot of day tripping tourists from Victoria Falls who tended to turn up just as we were leaving after our morning drive. Otherwise, everybody else was from one of the lodges in Kasane. One group consisted of very prim and proper older women all dressed in neatly ironed khaki, clutching sketch pads and pencils. Probably a group of aspiring wildlife artists. Most of the time you could not hear anything from other groups, but one memorable comment was a loud American female voice asking “is that lion going to eat that buffalo?”.

There was also the opportunity to take boat trips on the river in place of a drive, and we did that twice. Unfortunately, no night drives were allowed because of poaching. I think the problem is if you are mistaken for poachers, the results could be fatal. Botswanans take wildlife protection seriously.

Game drives went for about four hours each, giving us a total of 32 hours over the 5 days / 4 nights we were there. Between drives, we rested at the lodge, dipping in the pool or watching birds at the feeder. We could have taken short cultural excursions but the only trip we made was to Caracal, a rescue centre come environmental centre come mini zoo nearby (see separate report).

However, wildlife watching was not limited to the drives, there was plenty of wildlife around the lodge, which was situated in regrowth forest on the river. There was a resident population of bushbuck as well as a family of banded mongoose, while a warthog ran into the compound one day. Best there were southern galagoes in the trees in front of our tree house every night.

Chobe is known for its elephants and we must have seen around 100 on the first game drive we had. It was fascinating watching these massive animals in all aspects of their lives. There were three prides of lions in the region and we were recognizing individuals by the end of our time. My wife practically jumped into my lap when our guide virtually parked on top of a big old male and his mate.

There were so many highlights but there were also disappointments. We never saw a leopard, the closest we came was parking opposite a corpse of trees in which we knew there was a female and cubs. Likewise, we saw hyena tracks but no animals. I would have liked to see more small animals but with no night drives and having to stay in the vehicles this was difficult. Sometimes though it is the small things that are memorable, watching giant millipedes making tracks in the sand, a dung beetle rolling his ball across the road, or a column of army ants on the march.

After leaving Kasane we crossed the border into Zimbabwe for a short, touristy, visit to Victoria Falls before flying home.

Animals seen:

Mammals

Almost all species were seen in abundance and multiple times. Only the slender mongoose was seen only once.

1. Bush elephant
    2. Vervet monkey
    3. Chacma baboon
    4. Southern galago
    5. Smith’s bush squirrel
    6. Black-backed jackal
    7. Lion
    8. Slender mongoose
    9. Banded mongoose
    10. Common zebra
    11. Common warthog
    12. Hippopotamus
    13. Southern giraffe
    14. Impala
    15. Waterbuck
    16. Puku
    17. Greater kudu
    18. Bushbuck
    19. African buffalo

Birds

Birds were abundant and easy to see. Had we been with a birdwatching group no doubt we would have identified many more species. As it was some of the people we went on drives with were a little annoyed at the time spent on birds. Strangest thing is that we did not see any sunbirds.

1. Egyptian goose
    2. White-faced whistling duck
    3. Spur-winged goose
    4. Helmeted guineafowl
    5. Coqui francolin
    6. Red-billed spurfowl
    7. Little grebe
    8. Namaqua dove
    9. Laughing dove
    10. Ring-necked dove
    11. Senegal coucal
    12. Kori bustard
    13. Red-crested korhaan
    14. Grey go-away bird
    15. Marabou stork
    16. Yellow-billed stork
    17. Hamerkop
    18. Great egret
    19. Squacco heron
    20. Western cattle egret
    21. Black heron
    22. Little egret
    23. African sacred ibis
    24. Reed comorant
    25. African darter
    26. Spotted thick-knee
    27. Water thick-knee
    28. White-crowned lapwing
    29. Blacksmith lapwing
    30. African jacana
    31. Lesser jacana
    32. Common sanderling
    33. Shikra
    34. Tawny eagle
    35. African fish eagle
    36. Gaber goshawk
    37. Black kite
    38. Martial eagle
    39. Bateleur
    40. White-headed vulture
    41. Trumpeter hornbill
    42. African grey hornbill
    43. Southern red-billed hornbill
    44. Southern ground-hornbill
    45. Crested barbet
    46. Acacia pied barbet
    47. White-fronted bee-eater
    48. Southern carmine bee-eater
    49. Blue-cheeked bee-eater
    50. Little bee-eater
    51. Olive bee-eater
    52. Lilac-breasted roller
    53. Pied kingfisher
    54. Malachite kingfisher
    55. Red-footed falcon
    56. African golden oriel
    57. Brubru
    58. Fork-tailed drongo
    59. Magpie shrike
    60. Southern red bishop
    61. White-browned sparrow-weaver
    62. Village weaver
    63. Southern masked weaver
    64. Red-billed quelea
    65. Blue-breasted cordon-bleu
    66. Village indigobird
    67. Long-tailed paradise-weaver
    68. African pied wagtail
    69. Wire-tailed swallow
    70. Yellow-bellied greenbill
    71. African red-eyed bulbul
    72. Red-billed oxpecker
    73. Cape glossy starling
    74. White-browed robin-chat

Reptiles

I did not really think of reptiles on this trip but had I asked I’m sure I could have been shown chameleons or other small lizards around the lodge.

1. Nile crocodile
    2. Nile monitor

Last edited: 5 May 2022
    wstefan, Skukuza, Chlidonias and 2 others like this.