Join our zoo community

Christmas Photo Puzzle 2022 – MONOCHROME CREATURES

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by gentle lemur, 24 Dec 2022.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's been a while since I composed a puzzle. I have tried to make this one quite easy to start, but there is a sting in its tail.
    First identify the 20 species in the photos. All of them are monochrome, because they are essentially black and white, generally with some shades of grey. However I have used a little leeway, by including a touch of dark brown and ignoring eyes with brighter colours. Remember that some species have one sex that is monochrome and one that is not, so if I chose to include a smew, it would have to be a drake as the duck has a red-brown head.
    But there is a second part to the puzzle. There is a 21st monochrome species hidden in the first answers: its name has 20 letters taken from their names in the order shown.
    For each of these 20 species write down the first letters of its English common name and of the first and second parts of its scientific names (the generic and specific names). Use Zootierliste to check the names if you need to. This will give you a set of 3 letters, or perhaps 4 if there are alternative common names (although if a letter is repeated, things are simplified). For example if you think Photo 1 shows a Smew, choose the letters S, M and A because its scientific name is Mergellus albellus. When you have most, if not all, of the correct letters, select one from each set to identify the mysterious 21st species.

I will be happy to look at PMs with possible answers, but I will not reveal any answers until New Years Day. So please do not post any solutions in this thread until after noon (UST/GMT) on Sunday January 1st, 2023.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all ZooChatters.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've figured all of the species but I'm hopeless with word games.

Corangurilla, TinoPup and Mo Hassan like this.
  3. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Same! Gave up after about half an hour of trying to guess number 21. Thanks for the challenge though, @gentle lemur !

birdsandbats and TinoPup like this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's why I never do these :D

birdsandbats likes this.
  5. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys. I even took the time to do a spreadsheet, writing down all the letter options, and I STILL can't figure it out.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Same here. I'm pretty sure I have all the species identified correctly, but I simply cannot make anything meaningful out of the letters in the order the photos are numbered.

birdsandbats likes this.
  7. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is the name of the 21st species in the correct order as shown in the puzzle or is there a further anagram even if you've selected the correct letters of each set? If the latter, there are about a quadrillion possible combinations of letters ignoring repeats...

8. Chlidonias

From the below quote I have assumed they have to be in the order of the photos.

amur leopard likes this.
  9. gentle lemur

I think the puzzle would be almost impossible if I had scrambled the order of the letters.

So the first letter of the 21st creature's name should be chosen from the specified letters of the names of creature1 and so on. I'm sorry if I did not make that clear enough initially.
    Actually I made a last minute change to creature 1 to make that first letter easy to choose: some of the others are also quite straightforward, but some are not.

birdsandbats and amur leopard like this.
  10. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

Just one question, if that's allowed - are we looking for the 21st animal's common name or species name? Or rather, MIGHT it be the species name, or is it definitely the common name?

11. gentle lemur

I think you should be able to work that out for yourself when you have enough of the correct sets of letters.

12. gentle lemur

This afternoon I received a PM from a ZooChatter who believes that they have found a solution to this puzzle.
    I will make no further comment at this stage.

13. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

I think I’ve figured it out, but I’m not the first to submit the answer. Still have no idea what 3 is though!

14. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Ooh, my first Zoochat puzzle! I’ll give this one a shot!
    Quick question: the 21st animal’s name has one letter from all 20 other animals, right? Because I almost got an animal out of the first 7, but then 8 didn’t have the final letter for it. I won’t say what this animal I almost got is.

15. Chlidonias

I got the same animal minus the last letter, and then the first four letters of its genus too!

Corangurilla likes this.
  16. gentle lemur

Now you are puzzling me :confused: I will have to try to work out what this animal might be.
    I have received a solution from @Strix but I will stick to my original statement and say no more at the moment.

Corangurilla likes this.
  17. gentle lemur

THIS THREAD IS NOW OPEN FOR SOLUTIONS

The solutions I received from @amur leopard and @Strix were both correct. Has anyone else solved this puzzle?

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2023
    Corangurilla and Strix like this.
  18. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Happy New Year!

Got it!

BBB Brent goose / Branta / bernicla
    CAO Clown anemonefish / Amphiprion / ocellaris
    LNK Luristan newt / Neurergus / kaiseri
    STA Sacred ibis / Threskiornis / aethiopicus
    E
    DV Eastern quoll / Dasyurus / viverrinus
    BNN Black-crowned night heron / Nycticorax / nycticorax
    KOO Killer whale / Orcinus / orca
    BDP Black mamba / Dendroaspis / polylepis
    AGT Australian magpie / Gymnorhina / tibicen
    MEM Maranon poison frog / Excidobates / mysteriosus
    PRA Pied avocet / Recurvirostra / avosetta
    BVA Blacksmith lapwing / Vanellus / armatus

PCI Pig-nosed turtle / Carettochelys / insculpta
    ZHZ Zebra pleco / Hypancistrus / zebra
    YCD Yellow-knobbed curassow / Crax / daubentoni
    SEA Somali wild ass / Equus / africanus
    AVG Andean condor / Vultur / gryphus
    AOL Arabian oryx / Oryx / leucoryx
    AUT Asiatic black bear / Ursus / thibetanus
    SSA Spotted scat / Scatophagus / argus

21st monochrome animal - Fin whale!

Must admit, it was #3 that threw me too... I was too stubborn to check for alternative common names ;)

19. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Happy new year!
    I couldn’t solve this for the life of me, but I almost got “Bontebok” out of the first 7 groups of letters.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2023
    Mo Hassan likes this.
  20. gentle lemur

Congratulations to @Mo Hassan who is our third winner.
    @Corangurilla did well to get as far as 'bontebok' and I believe that some folk were working towards 'banteng', but neither is a possible answer because you can't possibly get to 20 letters, even if you add their scientific names (and I did ask for just a name).
    I was worried that this puzzle was too hard for anyone to answer, so I made some last minute changes by adding the brent goose and the night heron to give some easy letters before the orca, and I had a couple of hints ready: as far as I know a fin whale as never been kept in captivity, even temporarily (and I'm glad that is so) and so I guess few ZooChatters have ever seen one. I did see a very dead specimen that was washed up near my home in September 2016 - a sad sight, but a very interesting one.
    I'm glad I didn't need to use these hints and I hope that most people who made an attempt were able to identify most of the species, even if the whale eluded them.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2023
    Corangurilla likes this.